Stale Donuts

Stale Donuts

This is a discussion on Stale Donuts within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was hanging in speedway the other day with a few guys I work with and a cop that was working part time in the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Stale Donuts

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

Stale Donuts

I was hanging in speedway the other day with a few guys I work with and a cop that was working part time in the store when the Krispy Kreme driver came in to switch the old donuts for new fresh ones. I got curious and asked what happens to the old stale donuts? He explained that the old donuts are taken back to KK and put in a large compactor. They compress everything down and load it into a container truck. Then it reaches a plant in Ohio where they dump them, package and all, into a giant bin. Then the donuts and containers are heated up and compressed until it all melts into a sugary paper mess. Once it is done there, it is shipped to another part of the factory where it is mixed with various types of other food and cooked more until everything is mixed together. The finished product is............drum roll please................pig food. I found this all very fascinating and was amazed that they can use something old and stale to make something that feeds an animal that turns into delicious bacon. For what it is worth, I could find nothing on the internet to verify this, but I thought it still makes for an interesting theroy. What do you guys think or can anyone verify it for us?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Take your stale donut, slice it in half, turn the pieces over, fill the inside with PB & J, Nutella, or Marshmallow creme and bananas (you get the idea), and then heat it up in sandwich press. Ultimate.

Distinguished Member
    Well I don't know specifically about the process Krispy Kreme uses but I do know that farmers use stale donuts in their pig food. I used to work as a receiver in a supermarket and every couple of days a local pig farmer would show up and pick up plastic bags and buckets full of old donuts and other bakery items along with various produce that was removed from the shelves. He'd throw it all into the back of his truck (that smelled like nothing you ever want to smell) and away he went.

You probably don't want me to tell you what happens with all the trimmed & old meat from the meat dept...
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Administrator
    I know where that factory is in Ohio...
    Last edited by SIXTO; February 5th, 2012 at 11:28 AM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I know where that factory is on Ohio...
    Somehow I knew you would...a cop, right?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

really...you want us to believe donuts go stale?
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Administrator
    I like stale donuts but, you need a hot mug of good coffee for a dunk.
    Rock and Glock and airslot like this.

VIP Member
    Yep I believe it.
    At the bakeries here in Detroit, {Sanders , Awreys} have roll-offs that they fill, for that purpose.

Kinda surprised they crush up the paper, cellophane, etc, etc and ship that as well though.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

he lied to you, they make twinkies out of them
    dev_null likes this.

My local grocery store gives me all the stale products I can haul away - I use it all in my hog traps. Hogs are not picky.

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    the old donuts are taken back to KK and put in a large compactor. They compress everything down and load it into a container truck. Then it reaches a plant in Ohio where they dump them, package and all, into a giant bin. Then the donuts and containers are heated up and compressed until it all melts into a sugary paper mess. Once it is done there, it is shipped to another part of the factory where it is mixed with various types of other food and cooked more until everything is mixed together. The finished product is............drum roll please................pig food.
    The only thing I find questionable in this explanation is that KK would go to all that trouble for what becomes hog feed. Never knew a hog would turn its 'nose' up at anything a human might have eaten, no matter if it's cooked, raw, or anything in between.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The only thing I find questionable in this explanation is that KK would go to all that trouble for what becomes hog feed. Never knew a hog would turn its 'nose' up at anything a human might have eaten, no matter if it's cooked, raw, or anything in between.
    Oddly enough I thought about this too. The only explanation I can come up with is that when you are dealing with mass quantity like KK is, it would be a logistics thing. You and fit a lot more compressed donut goo on a semi truck or rail car than you can full donuts. And when you sell your overage by weight, this is a good thing. It is probably also mixed with other food byproduct too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    We obviously have some true donut aficionados posting in this thread.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Probably all the processing is done to prevent the formation of numerous molds on the stale products, some of which can be dangerous to any animal. The final product sounds like it would be very stable (like dry pet foods) and more uniform in its value as a feed product.

OMO

bosco

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    really...you want us to believe donuts go stale?
    They become bagels. Definition of bagel, a donut dipped in cement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links