Will Generation 'Gimme' Work for the American Dream? Eye-opening insight into America - Page 3

Will Generation 'Gimme' Work for the American Dream? Eye-opening insight into America

This is a discussion on Will Generation 'Gimme' Work for the American Dream? Eye-opening insight into America within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Rock and Glock Where are your young'uns going to school? If private - find a new school. If not, go private. The ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 55
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Will Generation 'Gimme' Work for the American Dream? Eye-opening insight into America

  1. #31
    Member Array DocPMD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Where are your young'uns going to school? If private - find a new school. If not, go private. The most significant predictor of success in school is parental involvement. If the schools won't grade, you should be. Do you attend School Board meetings? Are you actively involved in the School PTA?

    I am not trying to be a jerk, just trying to understand. My granddaughter will be in K-12 in Denver in a few years and I'd like to understand the answers.
    My son is in JeffCo schools and daughter will be next year. But I believe it's a moot point anyway. I strongly believe that success of a student has very little to do with the school, and everything to do with the parents. IMHO money for private schools is just flushing it down the toilet. The exception would be schools that are dangerous where students have to be more concerned about safety than getting educated. Short of that, it's all about the parents.

    We are getting a bit off topic here, so I won't be posting any more. I perceive that the younger generation(s) have a sense of entitlement. I believe that there are liberals leading our government who are pushing for more "equality" (i.e. Socialism). And I don't like either one of those things. I grew up in a middle class family that had very little extra money. I like the fact that I have the opportunity to work hard to get ahead. I don't want to have anything to do with equality. Nature is all about survival of the fittest, and I like that model.

    If you are poor and take offense to my comments, I'm sorry. Fact is, because of the numerous government programs that I help pay for, the poor actually have more opportunities than I did growing up. But I don't cry about it.

    Doc
    surefire7 likes this.


  2. #32
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,721
    Quote Originally Posted by DocPMD View Post
    I grew up in a middle class family that had very little extra money. I like the fact that I have the opportunity to work hard to get ahead. I don't want to have anything to do with equality. Nature is all about survival of the fittest, and I like that model.

    If you are poor and take offense to my comments, I'm sorry.

    Doc
    I grew up in marginal poverty though I didn't know it at the time. I thought that was just the way things are. Today, thanks to studying hard, going to work for 40 years or more, being frugal, and lots of luck, I am not in the 1%, but I am decidedly fortunate. I don't give myself credit for "making it" as I know some of that was nothing but absolute luck, and I won't look down on the poor either, as many are there due to great misfortune (bad luck). I don't begrudge help to those who need it, and I don't envy the wealth of those who actually earned it. At both extremes, the wealthy and the poor, our nation has way too many parasites. This doesn't mean the two groups are equally bad. It would take thousands and thousands of the dollars used to assist the poor to equal what some of the wealthiest have helped themselves to.
    Rock and Glock and surefire7 like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

  3. #33
    Member Array DocPMD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I grew up in marginal poverty though I didn't know it at the time. I thought that was just the way things are. Today, thanks to studying hard, going to work for 40 years or more, being frugal, and lots of luck, I am not in the 1%, but I am decidedly fortunate. I don't give myself credit for "making it" as I know some of that was nothing but absolute luck, and I won't look down on the poor either, as many are there due to great misfortune (bad luck). I don't begrudge help to those who need it, and I don't envy the wealth of those who actually earned it. At both extremes, the wealthy and the poor, our nation has way too many parasites. This doesn't mean the two groups are equally bad. It would take thousands and thousands of the dollars used to assist the poor to equal what some of the wealthiest have helped themselves to.
    Agreed
    Rock and Glock likes this.

  4. #34
    Member Array tashunkwitko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    san francisco CA
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I grew up in marginal poverty though I didn't know it at the time. I thought that was just the way things are. Today, thanks to studying hard, going to work for 40 years or more, being frugal, and lots of luck, I am not in the 1%, but I am decidedly fortunate. I don't give myself credit for "making it" as I know some of that was nothing but absolute luck, and I won't look down on the poor either, as many are there due to great misfortune (bad luck). I don't begrudge help to those who need it, and I don't envy the wealth of those who actually earned it. At both extremes, the wealthy and the poor, our nation has way too many parasites. This doesn't mean the two groups are equally bad. It would take thousands and thousands of the dollars used to assist the poor to equal what some of the wealthiest have helped themselves to.
    What is really amazing here is that everyone is actually commenting on the Fake News video in the first place. Roger Ailes, owner of Faux News, or Chicken Little, as I like to call him ('the sky is falling, the sky is falling") is a dang media consultant who helped Nixon, Reagan, and the Bushy's- you remember guys, those dandy fellas who gave us trickle down economics, outsourcing, Iran contra, Iraq, Oil speculation, etc . Look fellas, come correct in the first place...the news source is garbage, plain and simple. Why doesn't Roger Ailes and his phoney disemminators of propaganda ever talk about the billions upon billions of corporate welfare that the wealthy have siphoned from the middle class, and social security. Or how about the Insider trading that is allowed to members of Congress, but if you and I tried that ish...FBI would be knocking at our door. Why doesnt Faux news talk about Billions upon billions of money infused into lower class Americans during the depression and WWII, along with the GI bill- tell me folks....what demographic benefited from the social welfare programs at this time- take a guess....to hear people post on here and say they, they ancestors, family members, gramps, granny, cuzzins, never ever never received and Gubmint welfare- that they did it all on their own, blah blah , blah...well I call BS.

    Its so funny becoz Faux News tells you all that younger people are lazy, self entitled- you should all get a job- even if the corporate masters and Faux and friends have outsourced jobs over seas to China...becoz why??? Oh becoz you and your kids a supposedly fat, lazy, self entitled brats- now if you just fall in line the the Faux news mantra and work cleaning toliets for 8 hours, then your second job at fast food for another 8 eight hours- everything would be ok in their eyes. They expect our kids to take less than minimum wage, no benefits, no retirement benefits for a job- that pays 7 bucks and hour.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Totus vestri castrum es nostrum possessia

  5. #35
    Moderator
    Array Rock and Glock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Colorado at 11,650'
    Posts
    12,751
    That we can watch it and comment on it in a coherent manner says something, and do so without edifying the source or condemning it either says even more. I don't think many of us blindly accept anything the media spews, but I digress. There have already been comments made regarding corporate welfare, and I don't think many of us are condemning all youth either. You, to the contrary, however, accuse us of being ignorant pawns in some media control conspiracy?

    I might find your little rant more compelling if you wrote in an articulate manner and organized your thoughts in a more cogent fashion, and as an employer, I might even consider you employable. Alas, you protest too loudly, and give substance to the premise of the thread, however much you are offended by same.

    Not to make too sharp a point, your facts are incorrect also. Rupert Murdock is the owner of Fox Network, and Roger Ailes is the President of the Fox News Channel and the Chairman of the Fox Television Station Group. There is a significant difference in their roles. You need to have your facts straight or your credibility suffers as a result.

    Cheers, and welcome to DC. Glad to have some more Californians on board.

  6. #36
    Member Array tashunkwitko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    san francisco CA
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    That we can watch it and comment on it in a coherent manner says something, and do so without edifying the source or condemning it either says even more. I don't think many of us blindly accept anything the media spews, but I digress. There have already been comments made regarding corporate welfare, and I don't think many of us are condemning all youth either. You, to the contrary, however, accuse us of being ignorant pawns in some media control conspiracy?

    I might find your little rant more compelling if you wrote in an articulate manner and organized your thoughts in a more cogent fashion, and as an employer, I might even consider you employable. Alas, you protest too loudly, and give substance to the premise of the thread, however much you are offended by same.

    Not to make too sharp a point, your facts are incorrect also. Rupert Murdock is the owner of Fox Network, and Roger Ailes is the President of the Fox News Channel and the Chairman of the Fox Television Station Group. There is a significant difference in their roles. You need to have your facts straight or your credibility suffers as a result.

    Cheers, and welcome to DC. Glad to have some more Californians on board.
    Hahaha, well thanks for the warm welcome from a Coloradian- all my peeps are from the big CO and I love my hunting grounds near Walsenburg, and my summer cabin on the Divide is my home away from home. BTW amigo, it wasn't a rant- sorry you don't like, agree or understand the content of my post or the way I write. I am not typing a memo to you in a corporate setting. We are here on the internet on a posting bulletin board if I recall correctly. So I can dictate the fashion of prose, linguistic style and utilize ebonics for that matter if I chose.

    Again I am not at work or at an employer, nor do I work for you. BTW, so I am not writing in an effort to make you compelled to agree it me or not( thanks for the job offer- but I am doing just fine out here). My as a MD is sufficient enough to keep me happy and my med fellowship is keeping me trudging along, consultant for Hematologic pathologies keep me too dang busy- so sorry but I don't need any more work. Hey I didn't know DC postings sub as a job interviews- cool, man!

    These were simple comments on my part to assail the actual viability behind the source of news which started this thread. Sorry if it offends you. If you love Fox news so much then that's fine with me- no sweat off my back. Dude, please don't put words in my mouth I never accused you or anyone on this thread of being "ignorant pawns"...or some "media conspiracy". You are the one who used those words pal. Protest loudly?? Hahaha, now that was funny- was I typing in CAPS? Oh, I thought not.

    Oh and excuse me for the "huge error" in calling Ailes owner by accident- I do realize he is President of Faux news, however the distinction between the two, whether it be Ailes or Murdoch, Owner or President is irrelevant, and truly they are one and the same- Do you know how much Ailes has a stake in that company? If you know anything about Ailes, you would know that he controls much of the verbaige and content that the Fox propaganda machine. Fox News stinks. Don't know why you are defending it or supporting it, but hey that's your choice. Its a free country. All I am saying is the story is baloney, just like Faux is baloney, just as Ailes is full of baloney. I am just wondering are you old enough to remember the Nixon Admin, Vietnam, Watergate? Just curious?
    Totus vestri castrum es nostrum possessia

  7. #37
    Moderator
    Array Rock and Glock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Colorado at 11,650'
    Posts
    12,751
    I can see we will get along well, tashunkwitko. Friendo. Good luck in your med fellowship. I don't seek employees on the internet, so your luck is up and up. I was making a general comment on your use of the language only, which in some arenas, may still be considered to be a reflection on ones ability to persuade and communicate effectively. I am sorry you misunderstood my comment, and am sorry you took offense. I shall remember I am on a computer henceforth.

    You didn't call anyone posting on the thread ignorant, but the implication was obvious for all to read.

    When you share your bona fides on Nixon, Vietnam and Watergate, I'll share mine, but I was well past diapers.

    Nice hunting down by Walsenburg.

    And, to stay on topic, there were those who knew the world was doomed when the Beatles were on Ed Sullivan and the youth of our country were all good for nothing hippies heading over to Woodstock.

  8. #38
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,527
    Hopy you sure missed a bunch from my post. Let's revisit just the first part for now...FEDERAL unemployment benefits. You talked about how long STATE unemploymnet benefits have been around but I said FEDERAL. TWO YEARS worth of FEDERAL unemployment checks.

    I have no problem with STATE unemployment benefits. Workers pay unemployment taxes to the state and when they fall on hard time they can draw a modest check for up to six months. I have no problem with that. BUT I do have a problem with FEDERAL benefits that last for TWO YEARS.

    Studies show that most folks who draw unemployment get a job in the first few months or the last few months of their benefit period. Why you ask? Because the people that want to prosper get a job right away and the slackers get a job when they absolutely need one.

    Did I just hear the fat lady start to sing about your argument? Next up we can talk about the "right" to health care.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

  9. #39
    VIP Member Array mlr1m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    okla
    Posts
    4,298
    Did I just hear the fat lady start to sing about your argument? Next up we can talk about the "right" to health care.
    I don't think anyone who believes that we are a free people would dispute the fact that we have a right to health care. we also have the right to own yachts, fancy cars and small dogs. I can find no where in the Constitution where we gave up those rights to the government. Therefore we still retain them.

    We did give up the right to force others to pay for those rights when robbery was made illegal.

    Michael

  10. #40
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,527
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I don't think anyone who believes that we are a free people would dispute the fact that we have a right to health care. we also have the right to own yachts, fancy cars and small dogs. I can find no where in the Constitution where we gave up those rights to the government. Therefore we still retain them.

    We did give up the right to force others to pay for those rights when robbery was made illegal.

    Michael
    I get that you are busting my chops but I still disagree. We have a right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I would also argue that we have a right to self defense. Rights are endowed by our creator and existed before there was any government.

    I would argue that your right to pursue happiness is where you are confusing the issue. You have no right to a yacht or to fancy shoes. In a free country you can buy them if you think they will make you happy but they are not rights.

    The problem with many today is that they believe the Government gives them their rights. Therefore the Government is responsible to provide them with said item (like healthcare).
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

  11. #41
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,721
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Hopy you sure missed a bunch from my post. Let's revisit just the first part for now...FEDERAL unemployment benefits. You talked about how long STATE unemploymnet benefits have been around but I said FEDERAL. TWO YEARS worth of FEDERAL unemployment checks.
    Sort of nitpicking since they are coordinate programs and the one gets emergency funding from the other. What is the option? Hordes of the roving desperate? Read Grapes of Wrath. And as for the 2 years, well we'd have watched a more drastic downturn than we already had if that money weren't in circulation.

    Fat lady has been silent. Score, Tim 0 at this point. Games still on. (Except its bedtime and by tomorrow this thread will roll to the bottom and be gone, as it should be since it is dancing on the line as it were.)
    Last edited by Hopyard; February 7th, 2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: spelling correction
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

  12. #42
    VIP Member Array mlr1m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    okla
    Posts
    4,298
    atctimmy: While we may disagree with each others deffiniation of what our rights are we agree on the important part. That it is up to the individual to achieve those rights. That no person or government gives them to us.
    Atleast I think we agree.

    Michael

  13. #43
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,527
    Atleast I think we agree.
    I agree 100%.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

  14. #44
    Member Array jwinston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Flowery Branch,GA
    Posts
    38
    To the "Gimme" Generation: GET A DAMN JOB! Yes they are out there and no you might not like it but I dont freaking care, I dont care if I gotta skim crap out of a septic pond for min. wage. Im gonna make sure I have enough money for my family to eat and a roof over their heads.

  15. #45
    Member Array DocPMD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinston View Post
    To the "Gimme" Generation: GET A DAMN JOB! Yes they are out there and no you might not like it but I dont freaking care, I dont care if I gotta skim crap out of a septic pond for min. wage. Im gonna make sure I have enough money for my family to eat and a roof over their heads.
    I agree. Problem is that our government enables people to sit home collecting more money on unemployment. That gravy train eventually ends, but until it does, absolutely no incentive to go out and get a minimum wage job skimming crap. Besides, didn't we outsource all the crap-skimming jobs to China?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

eye-opening insight into america's youth-youtube
,
perspective on the gimme generation
,
the gimme generation fix
,

utupe will generation gimme work for the american dream

,
will generation gimme work for the american dream text version
,
will generation ?gimme? work for the american dream? eye-opening insight into america?s youth
Click on a term to search for related topics.