Working the Super Bowl in Broadcasting

This is a discussion on Working the Super Bowl in Broadcasting within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Many of you know that I work in the Broadcast TV field (at least for now anyway). I've done this work for 17 years now. ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By TN_Mike
  • 1 Post By TN_Mike
  • 1 Post By TN_Mike
  • 1 Post By Rock and Glock
  • 1 Post By TN_Mike
  • 1 Post By SIXTO

Thread: Working the Super Bowl in Broadcasting

Working the Super Bowl in Broadcasting

Many of you know that I work in the Broadcast TV field (at least for now anyway). I've done this work for 17 years now. I am a Broadcast Engineer, which is basically a fancy way of saying I am an electronics technician and work at a TV station. The station i work for is in Indianapolis Indiana, and last Sunday was the Super Bowl.

You may not have noticed it but I wasn't on the site for over a week except for a couple of brief pop ins to look at the site. I was just too darn busy. For the 2 weeks leading up to the game we had to build and wire 3 locations to broadcast and feed content back to the stations. This included the main location in the IPL building on the Circle right down town, a site at Georgia and Capitol streets and another at the Domestic Media Compound near Lucas Oil Stadium. To say it was a busy 2 weeks wouldn't do it justice. To give you an idea, my paycheck this Friday will have almost 75 hours of over time on it. And yes, I do plan on buying something with part of that money. I feel I deserve a treat.

Here are a few pictures for anyone interested in what it looks like behind the scenes to get a special broadcast like this on the air and into your home. It may or may not be what you expect.

IMG00476-20120125-1039.jpg
    Construction of the Roman Numerals on the Circle

IMG00482-20120126-1041.jpg
    Finished Roman Numerals

IMG00490-20120130-1451.jpg
    JW Marriott Down Town all decked out for the big game.

IMG00489-20120130-1447.jpg
    Indiana State Police APC there for the game

IMG00496-20120130-1627.jpg
    Switching the show from the IPL Studio

IMG00495-20120130-1625.jpg
    Anchors at IPL
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Continued.....

IMG00499-20120130-1839.jpg
    On the street interview with a vendor at the game

IMG00509-20120205-1456.jpg
    Me at the Domestic Media Compound on Game Day

IMG00510-20120205-1459.jpg
    Behind the scenes at the Domestic Media Compound. Lots of crews there.

IMG00521-20120205-1721.jpg
    Got to meet General Ray Odierno and Brian Kilmeade of Fox News.

IMG00519-20120205-1518.jpg
    Satellite trucks at the Domestic Media Compound

IMG00520-20120205-1519.jpg
    where I spent most of my Game Day...
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Cool,

It's always nice to see the "behind the scenes"
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Just a couple more...

Copy of IMG00515-20120205-1513.jpg
    My official credentials. Did not keep me from being frisked a few times though....

IMG00512-20120205-1501.jpg
    Homeland Security air patrol that was constantly orbiting the city on Game Day...

IMG00518-20120205-1517.jpg

IMG00500-20120131-1438.jpg
    The one honest beggar in Indianapolis for the whole week.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

See what you would have missed out on if you had gone back to Tennessee like six months ago? Glad you got through it OK. Enjoy that overtime check!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Thanks! Your OT check must be why the Ads are so expensive.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Thanks! Your OT check must be why the Ads are so expensive.
    Actually, that is factored into it. Mine and 5 other Engineers and a whole lot of News Department personnel.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Very cool, thanks for sharing. My former brother in law was the head engineer for the big talk radio station in Chicago, I used to tag along to remotes. Always was fascinated as to how it all happens.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Nice photos!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I’ve been a journalist working “J” for … going on 39yrs … damn; that hurts to think that far back. I’ve covered about 48 shuttle launches, Presidents back to Carter and 3 National Presidential-Nominating Conventions, World Series games, 3 NHL All-Star Weekends a few playoff games and 2 cup final series, countless college games and bowl events, other pro and prep sporting events, natural disasters, civil unrest, 5 Super Bowls, and my share of check-passing chicken dinners, spot-news, and tear jerking feature stores too. For newspapers, magazines, and wires.

And that great stuff you posted from behind the scenes only scratches the surface of the work that goes into events like the Super Bowl. The public's eye has no idea of the hard work and long hours that people like us that work in this industry put into evens like the Super Bowl behind the scenes.

The longest hours and hardest events I’ve worked are shuttles, the Augusta Masters, and Super Bowls. But the day that check hits your bank account, you forget about all those sleepless hours of exalting work, and think how it was all worth the effort. It can be fun at times but, it is also some VERY relentless work at times too, as editors and producers can be very ... at times!!

were live in 3 ... 2 ......

There’s an old saying in the “World of working J”: You get to park where-ever you want, you get the best seats in the house, and sometimes the free food you get is not only recognizable but it’s edible too!

I didn't watch the game.....did anybody win
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Pic #5 is that a mackie 1604? Surprising to see such a small mixer.

The honest beggar is a hoot, I would have given him a buck.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Administrator
    Very interesting, thanks for posting. By all accounts from people who went there, Indy did a fine job across the board hosting the super bowl.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Good pictures and thanks for sharing. The beggar pic is a hoot. I bet he gets more for his honesty than lying about it.

You look all serious and business-like in the Tenessee Vols hat.

I'm sure now with the pending move back to TN, the folks in Indiana are going to miss you.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    I’ve been a journalist working “J” for … going on 39yrs … damn; that hurts to think that far back. I’ve covered about 48 shuttle launches, Presidents back to Carter and 3 National Presidential-Nominating Conventions, World Series games, 3 NHL All-Star Weekends a few playoff games and 2 cup final series, countless college games and bowl events, other pro and prep sporting events, natural disasters, civil unrest, 5 Super Bowls, and my share of check-passing chicken dinners, spot-news, and tear jerking feature stores too. For newspapers, magazines, and wires.

And that great stuff you posted from behind the scenes only scratches the surface of the work that goes into events like the Super Bowl. The public's eye has no idea of the hard work and long hours that people like us that work in this industry put into evens like the Super Bowl behind the scenes.

The longest hours and hardest events I’ve worked are shuttles, the Augusta Masters, and Super Bowls. But the day that check hits your bank account, you forget about all those sleepless hours of exalting work, and think how it was all worth the effort. It can be fun at times but, it is also some VERY relentless work at times too, as editors and producers can be very ... at times!!

were live in 3 ... 2 ......

There’s an old saying in the “World of working J”: You get to park where-ever you want, you get the best seats in the house, and sometimes the free food you get is not only recognizable but it’s edible too!
    Very true Zamboni. I was telling my wife that one of the things I will surely miss about this job is driving a marked vehicle that I can park just about anywhere and the police don't even bat an eye and the station branded clothes that always seem to get you treated better. Even though I am a behind the scenes guy, with that coat on with the FOX logo on it, you'd think I was the mayor sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Pic #5 is that a mackie 1604? Surprising to see such a small mixer.

The honest beggar is a hoot, I would have given him a buck.
    Yep, that is an old Mackie 1604. All we had to run into it was 2 talent mics, a guest mic and one nat sound camera that was out on the street. That old Mackie did a great job just like always.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Links