Felony arrest for Giving Toddler a Ride on Motorcycle - Page 2

Felony arrest for Giving Toddler a Ride on Motorcycle

This is a discussion on Felony arrest for Giving Toddler a Ride on Motorcycle within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Hopyard Gosh, we used to let kids ride in the back of pickups; now forbidden. I see both sides. I was going ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Felony arrest for Giving Toddler a Ride on Motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Gosh, we used to let kids ride in the back of pickups; now forbidden. I see both sides.
    I was going to ride in the back of my aunt and uncles pickup when we were moving when I was a kid. My grandpa wouldn't let me. That trip, they were hauling a wheelbarrow, shovels, a swingset, etc. They got t-boned by a car doing over 80mph that was running from the police. My aunt was driving and when she saw the car, she gunned it, it ended up hitting the bed of the pickup instead of the cab. They only ended up with whiplash and some cuts and bruises. Needless to say, I wouldn't be here today if I road in the back of that truck.

I also lost a friend about a year and a half ago riding his bike; someone ran him over. He was wearing full leather and a helmet, but that doesn't help much when you are going against a 3000lb hunk of metal going 70mph. There's no denying it's a risk.

As much as I don't like nanny states, based on past experiences, I can see the worry for a 3 year old's safety; felony worthy? No way. A ticket? I wouldn't have a problem with that.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

I'll bet the cops would have a real meltdown with this family ride

Bucket Seat.jpg
    Brass63 likes this.

Tongue lashing? - yes; ticket? -maybe; felony? -no. I can remember riding on the tank of my dad's motorcycle growing up. I remember one incident in the 80's when I was about 12 yr old and we were pulled over by the SCHP. It seems the female trooper took exception to me controlling the throttle and handlebars while going down I-77. Dad was sittin' back enjoying the ride. I guess he looked like a genie on a magic carpet with his arms crossed and all!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    The article did not state whether the kid was wearing a lid or not, but assuming that he was attired in the manner that the state requires (not sure of FL laws for minors on a bike), what law do you think dad broke? He may not have used the same judgement that you would have used, but is that a criminal offense?

Unless there was a law that was broken, I see this a way too much nanny state. FWIW, I did not take my kiddos on my bikes til they could ride on the pillion and firmly put their feet on the pegs, but that is my judgement.

From the article:

And who the heck would, in their right mind, want to be tied to the bike?
    Florida law requires that any passenger on a motorcycle be able to put both feet on the passenger pegs.
    JD likes this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

If you dont' like seeing toddlers on a motorcycle... do NOT go to China... where you'll see a mother on a scooter the baby strapped on her and 3 of her kids crammed on the back and hanging on .

I took my son up & down the block on the tank when he was about 3 yrs old. By the time he was 8 yrs old, he could ride a dirt bike like a pro and no problem on the back seat of mine.

There are dirt bike races in the 3-5, 5-7 ages and on up.

Personally, I think it's stupid to charge them with a felony. The Nanny state has gone wild in my opinion.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

All the law states is that riders must be helmeted,and they make kids motorcycle helmets,something tells me that ticket is gonna go bye bye,and hopefully the Cop gets trained on enforcing the law as written ,and not his version of it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My problem with it is that the parent "should" know the risks involved and makes an informed decision when getting on a bike. The child doesn't know that if they hit something the child will be either crushed btwn a 200 lbs adult and an ungiving piece of steel or thrown down the road to deal with 3rd burns (road rash), broken bones, brain damage, etc; or if, riding pillion, the child can't hang on during an evasive maneuver s/he will be thrown off the bike to deal with the previously mentioned injuries. When I was an MSF instructor I learned of a family going down the road, father and daughter on the bike and mom in a car behind them. Father successfully made an evasive maneuver, but the girl was thrown from the bike and the mother got to watch her daughter get crushed by another car. I don't think that a kid on a mini bike with full gear is a fair comparison to a little kid on a full size bike going much faster in the middle of traffic. A fall from a minibike is 1/3 the vertical fall from a full size bike - and yes it makes a big difference.

Kids don't belong on bikes as passengers until they can ride pillion, reach the pegs, and hold on during evasive maneuvers - and they deserve nothing less than full riding gear when doing so.

IMO, the Nanny State that this country has become is painfully disturbing. Having limited facts about this case, I would think a citation, at most, is warranted.

I see many parents make horrible parents and it concerns me. However, we are making society worse by empowering the Gov to do it for us. Now people are afraid to say something in order to prevent a confrontation. Society used to be better at governing ourselves when we were more willing to be "neighborly". Now people would rather watch junk reality on TV than to engage in it in the real world. Kids can't even play dodgeball any more because someone may lose or get hurt and sue.

Almost daily I read or hear about where we are going as a society and it scares the hell out of me. We marginally accept things here and there, so that in a decade from now, our head is spinning with all the rights we have lost.

This case is just another reminder to wake up folks. Many of our parents would have been locked up for life with this kind of enforcement.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    All the law states is that riders must be helmeted,and they make kids motorcycle helmets,something tells me that ticket is gonna go bye bye,and hopefully the Cop gets trained on enforcing the law as written ,and not his version of it
    The law in Florida is that a motorcycle passenger must be able to reach the passenger footpegs/boards with both feet.

Matt
    JD likes this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    cops can't get promoted without arresting someone
    While that might be somewhat true, that is only half of the equation.

I'd also like to point out to the peanut gallery that LE does not make the laws.
    discoboxer likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    I'll bet the cops would have a real meltdown with this family ride

Bucket Seat.jpg
    Looks like someone photoshopped the baby in the bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    While that might be somewhat true, that is only half of the equation.

I'd also like to point out to the peanut gallery that LE does not make the laws.
    Howdy from the peanut gallery. I have seen LEO's here post that they have discretion. Unless the man became belligerent or there is more to the story, this sounds like a case for discretion.

Administrator
    Sometimes there is discretion, sometimes not.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Just one more example of the "nanny" state. One of my daughters served some time at the grandkids school as a volunteer "playground" monitor. Kids aren't allowed to play dodgeball anymore or climb on jungle gyms because someone might get injured and the parents sue the school! They can't run around and play tag anymore either! And we wonder why kids are fat and out of shape!

In our present "nanny" state, parents can't discipline or control their kids lives--the state has to tell them what to do! Some yahoo state rep just proposed a bill which would ban smoking in your own car if you have kids in it!

While I am aware that second hand smoke is bad, I don't want the "state" telling me what to do! I wear a motorcycle helmet when I ride and wear a seatbelt when I drive my truck--but I do NOT want the state telling me I HAVE to! I do it because I choose to do so!

I am sick and tired of the "government" trying to tell everyone what is "good" for them or what is "bad" for them! When I was a kid I climbed trees, played dodgeball, had a BB gun, then a .22 rifle, rode standing up on the front seat of the car when my mother drove 90 miles from where we lived to visit my grandparents, had my first Harley ride on the tank of a next door neighbors bike, and did a heck of a lot of other things that would be "illegal" or "dangerous" today! And I survived and will be turning 70 in about 3 more weeks! Ya, I fell out of some trees and I skinned some knees, but my parents never sued anybody and I got along just fine. I got whacked with a paddle when I did something bad, and no one called child protective services and claimed I was "abused"! My parents did a pretty good job of raising me I think--at least I think I've led a pretty productive life, haven't committed any major crimes, and have raised some kids of my own to be productive citizens! All without the "help" of the 'gubment'

OK, off my soapbox now.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links