Felony arrest for Giving Toddler a Ride on Motorcycle

This is a discussion on Felony arrest for Giving Toddler a Ride on Motorcycle within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by nedrgr21 That's a strawman argument - don't try putting words in my mouth; you only accomplish illustrating your own ignorance and irrational ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Felony arrest for Giving Toddler a Ride on Motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    That's a strawman argument - don't try putting words in my mouth; you only accomplish illustrating your own ignorance and irrational thought process.

Gov't is not always right, and I said anything close to that. This isn't about what the gov't is doing to consenting adults, it's about keeping kids who are unable to make sound and informed decisions out of harm's way when their parents are so ignorant as to needlessly put their lives in danger. With freedom comes responsibility. Unfortunately, these days people usually forget the responsibility part.
    Baloney. They have parents, until they are old enough to make the decisions themselves, it's up to the parents to make them and do the best they can. It's not the Govt's responsibility to do it. And, if the parents are stupid, they will end up with the responsibility and pay the price.

What you think is dangerous, we may not. I don't agree with you, and I don't think the STATE nor the GOVT needs to be telling us ... any of that.

If that's true.... and you like that argument you are making...... then we should NOT trust parents to be responsible enough with guns if they have children... they could get harmed. So, no parents with kids, can own guns anymore .... we don't want ANY of them being idiots and irresponsible where the kids could get their hands on those guns and be harmed or killed. We cannot trust that you will be responsible and have to protect your children from those of you that could be irresponsible and leave a gun out.

So, now,.... go turn in your guns please. Guns are dangerous. You know, if it were left up to certain people.... that would happen tomorrow.

You are making a lame argument.... based upon your biases where you want them, but not where you dont' want them. You want your freedoms and the Govt not to interfere with them, but rather quick to want to try arguing doing it to other people.

That's why the Govt & others, should not make the decisions and judgments for us.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

2. Remove Ads

Another case of felony abuse possibly?
    Family plucked from Pacific after boat capsizes *| ajc.com
    The father and son, along with Brad's younger brother Mitch James, hit a series of storms while sailing from Mexico to Hawaii, and on Tuesday afternoon high winds snapped their mast and choppy water overheated their engine about 300 miles from their destination. The trio tried to work up a makeshift sail — but it blew away.
    This has to be a felony! the nine year old could have been eaten by sharks! Thats worse than just falling off a bike.

Michael

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Another case of felony abuse possibly?
    Family plucked from Pacific after boat capsizes *| ajc.com

This has to be a felony! the nine year old could have been eaten by sharks! Thats worse than just falling off a bike.

Michael
    And that precisely is the point I was attempting to make in a couple of my posts above. THis is one of the most difficult to impossible areas in which to legislate, and "endangerment" is too often in the eye of the beholder. It is quite possible that neither the sailor nor the cyclist perceived that they were endangering at all; yet to many they were and it is clear, "with 20:20 hindsight."

I have no answers. I'm as perplexed as you are on how we might do a better job of protecting kids without messing over otherwise good people.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    And that precisely is the point I was attempting to make in a couple of my posts above. THis is one of the most difficult to impossible areas in which to legislate, and "endangerment" is too often in the eye of the beholder. It is quite possible that neither the sailor nor the cyclist perceived that they were endangering at all; yet to many they were and it is clear, "with 20:20 hindsight."

I have no answers. I'm as perplexed as you are on how we might do a better job of protecting kids without messing over otherwise good people.
    Hop - I have a business idea for you. Start building 10' diameter bubbles. We can put the kiddos in the bubbles - suspended so that they are in the middle - and let them grow there for 18 years. Then when they are adults, we can let them out. That would keep them safe - think it would work? Uncle would be your customer and would be responsible for the nurture, care and well being of the kids.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Hop - I have a business idea for you. Start building 10' diameter bubbles. We can put the kiddos in the bubbles - suspended so that they are in the middle - and let them grow there for 18 years. Then when they are adults, we can let them out. That would keep them safe - think it would work? Uncle would be your customer and would be responsible for the nurture, care and well being of the kids.
    Well, once upon a time there was a "bubble boy" but it didn't work out so well for him in the end. Of course what you are suggesting isn't at all what I was advocating. I was only pointing out that somewhere between the total freedom of Pater Familias -anything dad says goes including taking the kid out of the world-- and Nanny State, we will achieve something of a compromise.

No two people are ever going to agree on precisely where the compromise should be.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Wow, EKS, you really need to learn to have a rational discussion w/o putting words in other people's mouths or bastardizing statistics. Gee, where have I seen those tactics before - oh yeah, rabid anti-gunners. Good luck with that.
    Last edited by nedrgr21; February 11th, 2012 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I've always found it amusing that I will be ticketed for driving without a seat-belt, but I can be flying down the road on motorcycle with no helmet on, and everything is 'cool'.
    It's not the role of government to tell you that you can't be stupid. If you want to kill yourself, go ahead.
    I ride a motorcycle. I'm against helmet laws. I always wear a helmet.
    Once you allow the government into your life, it will never stop. Hence, felony arrest for riding a kid on the tank.
    How about riding a kid on a horse? Shouldn't that be a felony too? Stop already!

Ever seen the pictures from Asia? There are families of 6 all piled on a 125 CC bike........in traffic.
    There doesn't seem to be a shortage of Asians because of it.

Stop trying to run other people's lives.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links