Felony arrest for Giving Toddler a Ride on Motorcycle

This is a discussion on Felony arrest for Giving Toddler a Ride on Motorcycle within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Tampa man arrested after giving toddler ride on motorcycle | TBO.com A Tampa man was arrested this morning on one count of felony child neglect ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Felony arrest for Giving Toddler a Ride on Motorcycle

Felony arrest for Giving Toddler a Ride on Motorcycle

Tampa man arrested after giving toddler ride on motorcycle | TBO.com
    A Tampa man was arrested this morning on one count of felony child neglect after deputies stopped him while driving a motorcycle with his 3-year-old son in his lap.
    My first bike ride was on the tank of a Harley owned my a Cop. Same Cop who with my father and other cops taught me to reload and shoot in grade school.

Will they be arresting folks for taking kids shooting next?

Michael

2. Remove Ads

Dam, I give the little ones rides on the mini bikes. Nanny state if full effect

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post

My first bike ride was on the tank of a Harley owned my a Cop. Same Cop who with my father and other cops taught me to reload and shoot in grade school.

Michael
    I see your point, but where do you draw the line on child endangerment? 30mph? 40? 50?

I rode my kid in my lap on my Harley too. But it was in the neighborhood, on a private road, just putting up and down in front of the house. There's no way I would have taken him out in traffic, but that's just my personal judgement. I think at least one of the rules of the three stupids was violated when he went out in traffic.
    JCabranes likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I see your point, but where do you draw the line on child endangerment? 30mph? 40? 50?

I rode my kid in my lap on my Harley too. But it was in the neighborhood, on a private road, just putting up and down in front of the house. There's no way I would have taken him out in traffic, but that's just my personal judgement. I think at least one of the rules of the three stupids was violated when he went out in traffic.
    The article did not state whether the kid was wearing a lid or not, but assuming that he was attired in the manner that the state requires (not sure of FL laws for minors on a bike), what law do you think dad broke? He may not have used the same judgement that you would have used, but is that a criminal offense?

Unless there was a law that was broken, I see this a way too much nanny state. FWIW, I did not take my kiddos on my bikes til they could ride on the pillion and firmly put their feet on the pegs, but that is my judgement.

From the article:
    Diana's son was in his lap unrestrained, the report states.
    And who the heck would, in their right mind, want to be tied to the bike?
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Its a difficult question. What is child endangerment? Throwing a kid in the river to teach him to swim? Giving him twinkies for lunch instead of some soymeal burgers and lettuce?
    Do I need to fear some anti gun government agent charging me with felony endangerment because I allow children to handle black powder? It is an explosive after all. Is the fact that children around firearms in my house endangerment? To some I'm sure it is.
    Some time ago I had an eight year old friend priming cartridges for me when I was reloading. Should I be a felon? Should the kid have been placed in protective custody? Should the boys parents have been arrested for allowing it to happen?

Michael

I am always torn bewtween parental rights. A parent should know what is best and safe for their kids. The government should only intervene when it is so outrageous that anyone with common sense would say that ain't right. Either way in this case it should not be a felony arrest.
    WHEC724, atctimmy, Guest1 and 1 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    From the article:

And who the heck would, in their right mind, want to be tied to the bike?
    LOL. I've always found it amusing that I will be ticketed for driving without a seat-belt, but I can be flying down the road on motorcycle with no helmet on, and everything is 'cool'.

I agree that the last thing we need is more assistance in determining what is safe for ourselves or our kids. A reasonable and concerned LEO would have had a talk with him. There was likely nothing more needed.

I thought part of the joy of childhood was surviving, not going through padded and helmeted. I was nearly thrown off the back of the Harley when dad decided a wheelie on interstate would be exciting.

FWIW, a LEO informed my daughter he would write her a ticket for not wearing a helmet if he caught her again. She was 9 at the time and riding on the little neighborhood road in front of the house. No real through traffic, the road is about 80 yrds long. I thought that was a bit much.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post

Michael
    Times have changed. Parents no longer have much discretion in deciding what is and isn't safe for their kids, that's the Government's job now.

VIP Member
    These are always really difficult issues. In the days before seat belts and seat belt laws it was not uncommon for parents to sit their kids on their laps while they drove. Sadly, I once knew of an incident where there was an accident and the kid got crushed between the dad and the steering wheel, which in those days were not collapsible or telescoping.

I just don't know on this motorcycle one. Maybe the key question is whether or not dad knew he was endangering.

Gosh, we used to let kids ride in the back of pickups; now forbidden. I see both sides.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

A good lawyer gets this dismissed in around 15 seconds. Still, the police victim had to bail and defend $.

My parents would be in the big house for 10-20 for all the stuff they allowed me to do.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    My parents would be in the big house for 10-20 for all the stuff they allowed me to do.
    I still have my set of Jarts from the late 60's. Kids throwing weighted lawn darts at each other. We survived. We used to throw them over the house at each other's target. Lucky we survived LOL.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    I still have my set of Jarts from the late 60's. Kids throwing weighted lawn darts at each other. We survived. We used to throw them over the house at each other's target. Lucky we survived LOL.
    Friend of mine has a glass eye thanks to poor judgment and one of those evil arrows that we bought at the local S H Kress store when we were kids. Dad let me use the old powder out of military ammo that he pulled the bullets on for burning ants in the back yard.
    Local farmer help us kids make nitrogen bombs to blow stumps with. Still remember a Deputy coming by and asking if our parents, who he knew, were aware of what we were doing. Told him yes and he just said to be careful and drove away.

Where do I go to turn myself in at?

Michael

cops can't get promoted without arresting someone

VIP Member
    I'd say the officer way over stepped his authority. If the DA has any sense, he will drop the case. Government intervention in family life is wrong.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links