I'm going to be a State Trooper!

This is a discussion on I'm going to be a State Trooper! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hello all, Just figured I'd share my news and ask to hear any advice. I'm 20 years old and recently got married. My wife is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm going to be a State Trooper!

Hello all,

Just figured I'd share my news and ask to hear any advice. I'm 20 years old and recently got married. My wife is an elementary school teacher. I was going to transfer, and got accepted, to Texas A&M University to major in Landscape Architecture. At the last mintue I have decided to pursue a dream of mine and go to the DPS Academy. I have heard that the Texas DPS Academy provides some of the best training I can hope to recieve. And in that line of work I want the best training I can get.

I have always wished I could be in law enforcemnt and, with the support or my wife, decided not to pursue a career I not only had no interest in but would also wind up hating. I need another 39 hours of college credit before I can apply to the Academy and I figure I can get that out of the way before next July.

Do any of the Law Enforcement Officers out there have any advise for me?

VIP Member
    Good luck on getting on-board with DPS.

Try to arrange doing some ride-a-longs if you haven't done so yet.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Good luck....don't dilly-dally with the college credits. Bust em' out if you can and get into the Academy. Also use the time to get in peak physical condition. Good Luck.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

30 years ago, when I was 20, I took the exam for the NYPD and scored 99.
    They offered me the job (had some family on the force), but I turned them down.
    I regret that decision to this day.

Such is life.

If it's what you want - go for it - study and work hard for what you believe in.

VIP Member
    Congratulations! Good luck and stay safe!

Good luck to you!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Congrats on the choice! Stay motivated and never try for good enough, excell!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Senior Moderator
    Congrats !

only one point of advice that will serve you the rest of your career....

No matter how serious things can be, remember the Golden Rule and everything else will take care of itself...

treat others as you want to be treated
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Good Luck and if you ever pull me over, I will be sure to show you my CHL along with my driver's license.

I saw the add on the DPS web site that they are recruiting heavily right now, so it could be a good time for you to get in.

Yes I have heard they need 300 new troopers now and there will likely be many retirements in the next few years. I made a very last minute change, we're talking 5 days shy of the 1st day of class. I go to the local community college tomorrow to fill out the paperwork and hopefully they will have some openings for in some crimial justice courses. If not I'll take them all next semester. It will be a while but I'll keep everybody updated.

I know several people that have served in the DPS for many years and I spoke to a retired Major whom I have never met for about an hour on the phone yesterday. He had alot of advise and knowledge to give.

A friend is graduating from the academy in a few weeks and I'm sure I'll do some ridealongs locally in the near future.

Congratulations! Its exciting new, and I'm glad you have a lot of support at home.

Lead Moderator
    congrats and be safe.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Lucky You

Congrats!

Do ride a longs. When the radio is on, shut your mouth. Don't be annoying.

Volunteer places. Do hospice care. Do elderly stuff, call bingo nights, read to kids at the library, volunteer as a tudor at your school for your best subjects.

Get your credit in order. Departments will check it. Get a report and check for accuracy.

Volunteer for extra assignments in school.

Before you do something, do the ***? test. Ask yourself if the dept would think '*** was he thinking when he did that' then don't do it.

The key here is professionalism, dependability, and willingness to step up and get the job done no matter how hard it is. That is what departments are looking for. I have a year of school left myself for my CJ degree. I have not been hired yet, but will be starting to apply this month.

You really need to do some soul searching now and you need to seriously analyze yourself and figure out if you can really handle police work. There are things that happen that you have to do in LE that most people won't want to do or simply can't handle. Time to do a reality check and make sure you know what your are getting yourself into and what you can handle and what you can't.

ETA:
    I have been volunteering on the weekends for a couple hours each day to help out at a local hospice care facility where my MIL works. I have seen a lot. It has changed me. I had to bathe a 98 year old woman that came in. The last time she had a bath was four years ago. She had been abused for the last 6 years. She weighed 78 pounds when she died a few days ago.

I held the hand of a woman, who at 47 was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer, to comfort her. She died in my arms last Saturday. Her last words she spoke were "Thank you for taking care of me. I will never forget your kindness." She had no family. Just her.

I played poker with an 88 year old man and his daughter. It was their favorite game to play together. They let me share their last game together. Moments later, the gentleman died.

As gut wrenching as it is to see this, I am glad I do it. I am not doing this to pamper my resume. It is because I care.
    Last edited by Tubby45; August 25th, 2006 at 12:51 AM. Reason: To add content.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links