Leatherman Wave Saves a Pony

This is a discussion on Leatherman Wave Saves a Pony within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My wife's sorrel gelding Tennessee Walker, somewhat of a curious troublemaker in his own right, has a bad habit of pawing the ground with one ...

Like Tree24Likes
  • 7 Post By Rock and Glock
  • 1 Post By QKShooter
  • 1 Post By Hiram25
  • 1 Post By Bark'n
  • 5 Post By ppkheat
  • 1 Post By WHEC724
  • 2 Post By Elk Hunter
  • 1 Post By ppkheat
  • 1 Post By CowboyColby
  • 2 Post By claude clay
  • 1 Post By WD54241
  • 1 Post By QKShooter

Thread: Leatherman Wave Saves a Pony

Thumbs up Leatherman Wave Saves a Pony

My wife's sorrel gelding Tennessee Walker, somewhat of a curious troublemaker in his own right, has a bad habit of pawing the ground with one of his front legs when exasperated or excited. This is usually merely annoying, but yesterday he caught his right front horse shoe on a lower double strand of fence, and started getting anxious as the fence was obviously going to eat his leg clear up to his shoulder. He was still calm, and his pasture mates were looking on somewhat bemused it appeared. The predicament, though, had the potential of going south real darn fast real ugly.

I had just driven up, and got out to him quickly to calm him and attempt to manually disengage the wire by pulling it back from the shoe. Wedged tightly, it refused to give. I did not want to release his leg from my one handed grip to obtain a fencing tool from the barn or garage. I thus pulled out my Leatherman Wave, bit into the double helix wire with the wire cutters, and gave it a big twist around the wire.

The wire snapped with one twist, and I worked the wire out of the bind and released "Mr. Klutz". He wandered off as if it were in the normal course, but I was astounded. Fencing wire is tough stuff, and I cut through two strands with a small belt multi-purpose tool. I was impressed.

I use the darn Leatherman frequently, but that was a remarkable "first" I never want to duplicate. Thank you Leatherman! I can recommend the Wave as a first class wire-cutter now too.

Here's a picture of the boy at three, out on the eastern plains.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Great post. I love "carry knife" actual use tales that go "above & beyond" the typical cutting up cardboard boxes at work stories.
    Fantastic that you were able to free him so quickly with the tool that you had on your person...because (I'm sure you are aware) once trapped animals finally realize that they are...most tend to go into this weird panic mode where they can really do major damage to themselves.
    I've seen that happen on past occasions.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Good story. Happy all ended well. I also carry a "Wave" and love it.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Very cool. My leatherman Surge has both a regular wire cutter and a "hard wire" cutter.

I swear by leatherman tools. They just work.

Yes, you can break them, but they still get the job done. I've had one of the original leatherman's so long that it was the only model they made (probably close to 30 years now). The wife broke the tip of the awl off trying to pry something with it. I ground a new point on it with the bench grinder. It's a little shorter now, but still works great!

Great story. I'm glad your horse got free of his predicament uninjured.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    I carry a Leatherman and folding Buck knife (Rancher) everyday, and use both a lot.

Two short related horse stories:

1. I had a horse in a pasture once and went to check on him and found that he was missing. He'd gotten into a neighbors pasture and had somehow straddled, with his front legs, a barbed wire fence. He was not in good shape due to the damage from the wire. I cut the wires somehow (pre-Leatherman days) and got him out wondering if I would have to put him down? He had an impressive bad wound. I'll save the details.

I got him fed, watered, cleaned up the best I could. I was a starving college students, so funds were low. I talked to a couple of vets, they gave me some ideas and some meds and I treated him myself. It was a pretty long recovery, but he made a complete recovery.....100%. Even the scar was hidden in the folds near and under where his chest meets his leg.

2. During college I worked at the college farm, mostly at their horse stables. BTW, that's a great place to meet gals, as they'd like to come by and look at and pet the horses. We guys there were like horse rock stars. One day, someone had a horse staked out in the lot, something spooked the horse and he took off pulling the rope free from the stake. A co-worker friend of mine was nearby and the end of the rope whipped around his legs and he was suddenly gone, being dragged away by the horse. The horse turned the corner at one of the stables and my friend grabbed the corner of the building and the rope unwound enough to pull free. THEN, within about two seconds later, one of those college girls happen to be nearby the running horse, and as the horse passed her, she was suddenly grabbed by the trailing end of the rope too. I saw it all happen, the trailing rope almost magically reached out wrapped around both of her feet (she was heeled) and she was knocked off her feet, and suddenly being dragged by the running horse as well.

The horse had two ways to go, and one was out in a open pasture. Luckily he didn't make that turn and went to the end of the lot and paused. I knew not to chase the horse but to wait out for a moments pause, when the horse stopped in a corner, I grabbed my pocket knife, at the time it was a giant folder I kept in my back pocket. With what seemed like one motion, I cut her free from the horse. She, like my friend, was a little dusty, but uninjured and well-composed, surprisingly nothing ever came out of it. I gave her the piece of rope as a souvenir. Lucky, lucky, lucky.
    Last edited by ppkheat; February 9th, 2012 at 09:54 PM.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Great story and picture!

I really miss our horses... {sigh} Someday...

Great stories ppkheat! Glad to hear the one healed well. Adding more "real" life stories is neat! Thanks!

horse rock stars
    Funny!

We call the sorrel the "Luckiest Pony Alive" due to his recovery, after full scale surgery, of a long laceration down alongside his hoof last summer. Deep and infected. The numerous vets were fantastic and he is now 100% sound. We love our vets! He is a very special boy.

I carry the Wave every day, and this is just one of those "OMG" moments, because if I'd needed to go fetch a tool he could well have panicked and really been in trouble. I do believe I'll get my wife a Leatherman too - maybe a Surge, like Bark'ns!

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Some times they can do the darndest things glad this one didn't end up with a vet bill.
    msgt/ret and Rock and Glock like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Great stories ppkheat! Glad to hear the one healed well. Adding more "real" life stories is neat! Thanks!
    Thanks, I'll have to investigate this "Wave" and "Surge" Leatherman's. I just looked at mine it's a "Kick"..........I suppose appropriate for equine work !!!
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

R&G Glad your Leatherman was a horse saver... I used to carry the original Leatherman...
    Now, it's a Victorinox Swiss Tool... a bit heavier, more tools, locking blades. Not to disparage the Leathermans, or any other brand name multi, they are all great tools... Just personal preference.

I carry a multi-tool every day. I carry an assisted opening folder and a folding utility knife as well, every day... The Kershaw folder is a one purpose weapon... The utility knife gets quite a bit of use at work, and so does the Victorinox.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Horses and wire can be a wreck. I've been bucked off more times cause of wire than anything else (and I break colts). Glad the horse was calm and you were able to get the wire out. I do not carry a leatherman but every pickup has pliers in the door. I used to be on a doctoring crew for a ranch, another guy and I took care of 2000 head. I had a horse get a strand of loose wire caught between his hoof and the shoe. We were 9 miles from the pickup and even further from the ranch headquarters. Luckily my doctoring partner carried pliers because I never did.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    good story and leatherman rules...

one in each car and my rangebag.each a little different to reflect what i think they will be used for.
    when my daughter bought her 1st car i set it up for her. washing, waxing stuff, winter stuff and more...
    and besides a tool kit in the boot is a leatherman in the consol.

if im leaving my car, as for a hike...it goes with me.
    Rock and Glock and surefire7 like this.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Great story. Glad it ended on a good note.

Administrator
    Leatherman Wave Saves a Pony
    Actually YOU saved the pony. The Leatherman just helped you get the job done.

Links