I Am Bruce Lee - Movie

I Am Bruce Lee - Movie

This is a discussion on I Am Bruce Lee - Movie within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A new biography is out on Thursday. It's in limited release. But the list of theaters is on the link. ‘I Am Bruce Lee’ tells ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty
  • 2 Post By Pistology
  • 2 Post By Jason Storm
  • 2 Post By NY27
  • 1 Post By lazytl

Thread: I Am Bruce Lee - Movie

VIP Member

I Am Bruce Lee - Movie

A new biography is out on Thursday. It's in limited release. But the list of theaters is on the link.

‘I Am Bruce Lee’ tells the amazing story of one of the most iconic human beings ever to enter the public consciousness. Voted as one of the most important people of the 20th century in Time Magazine’s Time 100, as well as one of the Greatest Pop Culture Icons by People Magazine, Bruce Lee continues to be honoured and remembered for his enduring legacy.
    Stars include Manny Pacquiao, Dan Inosanto, Ray 'Boom Boom' Mancini, Kobe Bryant, many others.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I remember the "KARATE" Era,everybody walking around making karate fists and imitating the Bruce Lee look and noises,back then you could watch one Bruce Lee movie and walk out of the theatre a Mental black belt,after 2 or 3 you were a force to be reckoned with.Karate Dojo's popped up all over and a lot of people were enrolling to be able to protect themselves,after all that I found out buying a gun and paying for a permit is a lot cheaper and less strenuous
    Justified likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Martial arts should be looked at as a hobby and not a self-defense method.

VIP Member
    For those of us who grew up in the '70s: Everybody's Kung Fu Fighting

Me and my friends use to beat the tar out of each other.

Administrator
    Stars include Manny Pacquiao, Dan Inosanto, Ray 'Boom Boom' Mancini, Kobe Bryant, many others.

All the big names.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
    Come on, you guys. I get that Bruce Lee is a movie star with great talent for athletics and communication.
    While martial arts is a fine hobby, there are many methods of martial arts. Some teachers encourage competition and stress. Asian martial arts are battle-proven. These aspects don't describe "hobby".
    The successful practice of martial arts mindset, dynamic posture, and spirit does more for my general self defense - including shooting performance - than I expect shooting ever will.
    I'll let you know how I like the movie.
    lazytl and MotorCityGun like this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I remember the "KARATE" Era,everybody walking around making karate fists and imitating the Bruce Lee look and noises,back then you could watch one Bruce Lee movie and walk out of the theatre a Mental black belt,after 2 or 3 you were a force to be reckoned with.Karate Dojo's popped up all over and a lot of people were enrolling to be able to protect themselves,after all that I found out buying a gun and paying for a permit is a lot cheaper and less strenuous
    Yeah but the permit has its limitations where you can carry it and you have to go through a background check for a gun. And even then, not every situations would justify the use of a gun. So learning some unarmed H2H skills is still paramount unless one is so severely disabled.
    Pistology and lazytl like this.

There are some martial arts that are true in its self-defense applications. Unfortunately, it has become to the point of a sporting hobby. But if you want to learn self-defense, I suggest either adrenaline stressed training or reality based self-defense/combatives. I myself have strayed from learning martial arts to reality based systems since I am getting a little older.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    Asian martial arts are battle-proven. These aspects don't describe "hobby".
    The successful practice of martial arts mindset, dynamic posture, and spirit does more for my general self defense - including shooting performance - than I expect shooting ever will.
    I'll let you know how I like the movie.
    How do you rate the knockdown power of your fist to a .22LR? Sufficient? :)

VIP Member
    How do you rate the knockdown power of your fist to a .22LR? Sufficient? :)
    I don't need either. I am the weapon.
    "Be yourself. Trust yourself. Express yourself. Honestly. That is... oooh... very hard to do, my friend" - Bruce Lee
    He should know since he accomplished the art of the artist as art.
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

All the big names.
    Oh, and Gene Lebell, the father of MMA, unless Bruce is the father, then Gene Lebell is the grandfather. Very informative documentary. Enjoyed it, my friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I remember the "KARATE" Era,everybody walking around making karate fists and imitating the Bruce Lee look and noises,back then you could watch one Bruce Lee movie and walk out of the theatre a Mental black belt,after 2 or 3 you were a force to be reckoned with.
    Everybody's Bruce Lee after a Bruce Lee movie. But it's their own Bruce Lee.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    I don't need either. I am the weapon...
    My wife has always called me a tool. I assume that's what she means?

Martial arts also teach breathe control, footwork, and the ability to do things unders stress. It also keeps one fit. And that made a difference in one of the combat shooting courses at Blackwater that is stress induced. Those who couldn't quite cut it were either out of shape or had poor breath control. Your footwork and movements also become fluid and catlike as one of the instructors told me as he asked me if I took martial arts before.

Ive seen karate kid 25 times, Im a black belt in miagi do karate. Wax on wax off, paint the fence, crane technique, no can defened. I also know pretty much every chuck norris joke to take my attacker off guard.

I really hope that you are kidding. Having trained in Kenpo Karate for over 25 years and using it effectively in street encounters as a Police Officer in the South Bronx, I can say with the utmost certainty, that it is a viable self-defense method.
    lazytl and MotorCityGun like this.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

The three Cs of Karate: courage, calmness, and concentration: all of which create confidence. How do those not help you in any self-defense situation? Another principle: distribute the punishment according to the situation. Again, helpful in any self-defense situation. One more: balance, breathing and situational awareness. The list could go on. There is a huge difference between sport arts and defensive martial arts.
    NY27 likes this.

Sponsored Links