Childhood Punishments

This is a discussion on Childhood Punishments within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I will also never forget the first time I thought I was tough enough to stand up to my dad either. At about 16 I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Childhood Punishments

I will also never forget the first time I thought I was tough enough to stand up to my dad either. At about 16 I was starting feel pretty froggy I guess, so I stood up to him one day. I did not think back then someone could just hit me dead in the chest and double me over as I thought I was a stud after a semester of weight lifting. I remember it clearly. Dad, "Are you standing in my face right now?" Me, "Why yes I am." Me a tenth of a second later sitting doubled over on the floor holding my chest. Today I am 34, my dad is 57 and I am still not sure I can take him after that one confrontation. It was the only time he ever did anything besides bust my butt, but I am pretty sure I was being a little **** and deserved it.

I have 2 little girls now and I hope I am good mix of old school and new school. The biggest thing I try to do different is never punish them when my temper is to high, and I have never spanked out of anger to date. They are 5 & 8. Still a long way to go as teenage girls scare the hell out of me.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    The sad part about this thread is that most of the punishments mentioned, and I had a few similar in my day... Are now probably considered "child abuse"! (The first time I was told to cut my own switch I cut about the thinnest I could find. My cousin (a couple years older and wiser) explained my screw-up, AFTER the spanking!)

^^^^^^^I agree^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But the only one that I would say perhaps crossed the line was when cowboycolby's dad left him unsupervised, with no water, and probably no comunication, if something bad should have happened to him, while unloading/reloading the pipes.

Other than that,
    Laughing too hard to see straight!!!!
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

At 16 or so, I too stood up to my dad. Called him everything but good, respectful man. He let me go until I started repeating myself. Next thing I know, I am on the ground, tingling and can't move. Only years later did I find out that I was the not so proud recipient of the Marine Corp Neck chop. If I had to sum it up in one word (with a nod to QKshooter and the word association thread), that would be Newfound Respect!!!!

Marine Neck Chop Knockout - YouTube

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    In my dads defense there was a hydrant to the stock tank 60 yards away I wasn't going to die

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
    Rock and Glock likes this.

I wasn't going to die
    No, you were only going to wish you could.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Yes sir exactly

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

When we adopted Tori (now my pride and joy at 15), SWMBO and I agreed to use the 1-2-3 method from the start, be consistent and present a united front. For those that don't know, the 1-2-3 method simply says I tell you to do/stop doing something. If you don't comply (resistance is futile) I count 1 in a calm voice (no screaming, ranting, begging, negotiation, etc.). If you don't comply in a reasonable amount of time (depends on circumstances) I count 2. If you then don't comply in a reasonable amount of time (depends on circumstances) I count 3 and you are ALWAYS punished. Punishment fits the crime, stand in corner (I always hated that, tell you a story on myself in a minute) for minor infractions, corporal for major things. Some things are an instant 3 based on the nature of the event. By being consistent, Tori learned No means No and when Momma or Baba tell you something, take it to heart and getter done. In 14 years, I've had to spank her 1 time.

Regarding that 1 time, we have always had big dogs. Rotties to be specific. While keeping an eye on her and supervising, she learned about the dogs and how to help. I have pictures of Tori asleep leaning against our old 140 lb female and after this dog lost her sight, this little girl carefully guiding the old lady around the house. As Tori got older, she got sloppy and would not pay attention to what she was doing and where she was walking. She started steeping on dog toes and provoking yelps of pain. We talked to her about being careful, how it was our responsibility to take care of our friends, and how we had seen the dogs come to her defense and be protective. It would help for a little while and YELP, there she went again. We were concerned that she was going to get hurt and told her that would cause the dog to have to be destroyed. It wasn't working. Finally told her, you are responsible for the dog being happy. Every time I hear the YELP, I will warm your butt and sitting down will be very uncomfortable. Guess she didn't believe me or what I had said didn't sink in because YELP. I didn't raise my voice, I just sat down on the couch, told her to come to me and present butt. "I'll be more careful Baba". "I know you will or we get to do this again". I delivered (almost in tears myself) and she decided that was a good time to start being a good steward for the critters.

Story on myself. I was maybe 8 or 9 years old and I wandered off playing. Mom didn't know where I was and when I finally came home she was pissed as a good Christian woman would allow herself to be. She read me the riot act and told me the punishment was to sit in the corner for the next several hours. I hated this punishment and made the mistake of asking her if I couldn't get a spanking instead. Upon asking why, I foolishly said "I hate sitting in the corner and a spanking will only hurt for a little while and then I can go out and play". I'll leave it to your imagination what happened next.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I got the switch, once. I decided at that point that I would play along. I'm sure I got paddled a lot, too, but it's the switch that I remember... what, about a half-century later?

Growing up in my house, belts and shoes were the tools for doling out discipline when we deserved it. That's not to say I didn't have a nice little Dubya Double Duck technique when the shoes came flying.

Senior Moderator
    My Dad had a belt with no center prong on the buckle so it wouldn't actually buckle. He hung it on a nail behind the basement stairs door. When that door opened and you heard that buckle slide against the nail you knew someone was going to get it and get it BAD!!!!

That being said, my mother never used that belt. She used her hand and I responded a LOT better to my mother's correction than my fathers. Hers was always very controlled and very calm. She would explain why I was getting a spanking. She would tell me how many swats I was getting. She would administer them and then she would forgive me and we would hug.

With my Dad it was nothing but swinging and screaming, and, in my brother's case, punching, swinging, getting thrown into walls, down the stairs, etc. He was always MUCH harder on my brother than any of us girls.

To me, my Dad's spankings were about him letting out frustration and anger and trying to control us while my Mom's were actually about discipline, instruction and love.

With my Dad I just learned how to try harder not to get caught and I didn't respect him. With my Mom I tried to change my behavior so I wouldn't hurt and disappoint her.

They both used the same form of punishment but they administered it in two total polar opposite ways.

Plain and simple, the belt, it worked wonders. Spare the rod and spoil the child, evidently they didn't have leather back then.

I dont recall being punished, but I always had nothing but respect for my parents. I was a great kid honestly. Usually a "dont do that again" was sufficient. My parents bought me my first truck and they would take my keys if my grades slipped, but then my dad helped me buy my own truck( loaned me the money and made me pay off the $4000 in 1 summer) and I never got my keys taken again.

Even now at 23 I try to make my parents proud and to be a good example to my 2 little brothers and to my son.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    My Dad had a belt with no center prong on the buckle so it wouldn't actually buckle. He hung it on a nail behind the basement stairs door. When that door opened and you heard that buckle slide against the nail you knew someone was going to get it and get it BAD!!!!

That being said, my mother never used that belt. She used her hand and I responded a LOT better to my mother's correction than my fathers. Hers was always very controlled and very calm. She would explain why I was getting a spanking. She would tell me how many swats I was getting. She would administer them and then she would forgive me and we would hug.

With my Dad it was nothing but swinging and screaming, and, in my brother's case, punching, swinging, getting thrown into walls, down the stairs, etc. He was always MUCH harder on my brother than any of us girls.

To me, my Dad's spankings were about him letting out frustration and anger and trying to control us while my Mom's were actually about discipline, instruction and love.

With my Dad I just learned how to try harder not to get caught and I didn't respect him. With my Mom I tried to change my behavior so I wouldn't hurt and disappoint her.

They both used the same form of punishment but they administered it in two total polar opposite ways.
    This was my experience more or less. My dad hit me with whatever he could. Didn't matter if it was his foot or hand. I hated disappointing my mom.
    Nevada CFP
    Utah CFP

I grew up on two farms. Went too two different schools. At age 13 I was riding motocross and doing rodeo aswell. Well as I got a little older and always winning, I got a big head. I took (mma muai Thai/ jiu- jit sui aswell. Well I was challenged to a fight in the parking lot. And decided to accept. I ended up kicking butt. Needless to say, the cops followed me home. And told my dad. He told the cop thanks,and he'll take it from here. Small towns. No one were liberals( haha) so corporal punishment here we come l. He asked me if I thought I was Billy bad. . . And I was raised better. I told him I was and took too trying to fight em. I got beat left right up and down. No doubt I deserved it. But hell. I wont ever do that again. I'm 23 today and he's 52 but a big Guy still. Still shoot with him and all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links