Childhood Punishments

This is a discussion on Childhood Punishments within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; After watching the father of the year shoot his daughters computer and put the video on her facebook page it brought back a lot of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Childhood Punishments

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar

Childhood Punishments

After watching the father of the year shoot his daughters computer and put the video on her facebook page it brought back a lot of memories growing up. If you have any punishments you remember from child hood that worked very well or didn't work at all tell us your story.

2. Remove Ads

I'll go first I have 3 that stand out very vividly in my mind I'll start with the first one I remember as I was around 7 or 8. We had just rebuilt our corrals with all pipe and metal materials. My father had added a new gate on a spring that he kept wired shut because he didnt' plan on ever using it much. We had some calves around 500 lbs we were feeding getting ready to send on to a commercial feedyard where they would be fattened and sold to packing plant. Beside this pen was our bull pen that held 4 or 5 of our herd bulls, Dad had been having some problems with some of the calves bloating so he had a three foot hose beside that pen he would use to put down their throat to release all the air on a bloated calf.

One day I had unwired the spring gate and the next morning 5-6 calves were out and we had to saddle our horses and gather them up and put them back in the pen. The next morning same thing. This went on for about 4 days and I was loving it as everymorning we would either saddle the horses or take the three wheeler and gather the calves. Dad could not figure out how they were getting out. He thought maybe they were just crawling through the feed bunks. Well one evening as I was taunting the bulls smacking them with that 3 ft rubber hose I walked over and made sure the gate was unwired so that we would have calves out the next morning. Dad had just put the feed truck away and walked over to where I was standing at the gate. He noticed the little spring gate unwired and asked if I knew how it got unwired. I assured him I certainly did not know and that one of the calves must have unwired it.

He rewired the gate back shut and went to continue feeding. He was in and out of the barn taking flakes of hay to the horses and bulls and caught me unwiring the gate again. He walked up behind me and asked what I was doing. Then he asked me one more time if I had been the one to unwire it the first time. I assured him it wasn't me. He told me he was only going to ask one more time and if I didn't answer truthfully I would be punished. (I think he really said he would spank my butt). I confessed I had been the one that unwired the gate so the calves would get out so we would get to ride our horses or 3 wheeler to put them in.

He grabbed the three ft. rubber hose I had in my hand spun me around bent me over the feed bunk and spanked my rear 3 times pretty hard with that hose. He said the first one was for unwiring the gate and the other two were for the two times I lied to him about doing it.

As I tenderly walked back with him to the house from the corrals I told him that he said if I lied to him one more time I was getting spanked and that he should not have spanked for fessing up to the truth. I asked him how bad I would have been spanked if I had continued to lie and he assured me I would not be walking and any time I sat down would be very uncomfortable.

From then on I was very good about not lieing.
    RMS and Rock and Glock like this.

One that sticks out the most... I remember my dad spanking me for doing something I wasn't guily of (probably framed by my little brother).
    He wouldn't stop until I admitted it... but lying was a huge no-no at my house.
    For what seemed like forever he kept going until I finally admitted to it (a lie).

Lesson learned; sometimes a lie is required to reveal the truth. (I later told him that I lied to him... )

Other than that I seem to remember splitting firewood for hours on end for some reason...

Just remember, the definition of good parenting is preparing your children to live without you. Harsh, but true.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

VIP Member
    When I was seven or so, at a Little League game, one of the other boys on my team was yelling a (what I found out later to be) VERY bad word at the opposing team. Having no idea what the word meant, and wanting to get in on the "chatter" that you normally hurl at opposing batters, I started yelling the word at the top of my little lungs. After screaming it a good number of times, one of the coaches finally came over and told us all to shut up...

Well, my parents were in the stands, and had heard me yelling. They were on their way over when the coach told us to hush it, so I didn't know about this until I got home.

After eating the entire raw onion, I was of the opinion that soap might have been a more pleasant alternative....

Of course, once I learned what the word meant, I added it to my vocabulary, where it remains today. :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

My second one came years later and was the smartest most horrific punishment I had ever recieved.

I had just finished my last baseball game and highschool athletic event I would ever participate in as I was about to graduate. I was very good about not ever drinking during sports (which I don't condone or think was a good idea to drink period underage). Friday we had a party out in the country to celebrate our sports seasons and fixing to graduate. My dad had warned me two things that evening before I left. 1. Be home early because we had work to do the next day 2. don't be drinking

Well I had my fair share of beers that evening and was responsible and decided not to drive home and that I would just sleep in my pickup until around 4:30 a.m. and get home before my dad woke up. Well we didn't quit partying until about 4:30 and I slept until 8 a.m. before going home. I got home and dad had already gotten chores done and wasn't at the house so I decided to try and get in a quick nap. He walked in right as I was laying down. He didn't say anything about not coming home at a decent hour or ask about drinking but I'm pretty sure he could tell from the looks of me. He just said "lets go."

We drove to the farm and dad parked in front of the irrigation pipe trailer. He told me since I didn't come home at a decent hour and had drank the night before I would have to unload the pipe trailer by myself. Keep in mind this is twelve inch diameter pipe and they are 30 to 40 feet in length and weigh over 200 lbs. Its a two man job to load and unload the pipe. I wasn't thrilled but knew it was my job to do and that it was my punishment so I was going to make the most of it and get it done without complaining to show that my partying the night before hadn't hindered my working ability.

Also keep in mind this was May and around 9:00 a.m. and it was starting to get very hot. The highs were going to be around 98-100 degrees. I had also not had the brains to bring any water as my head was a little fuzzy still being slightly hungover. Anyways he left me to my work and I proceeded to take on end of pipe off the trailer then go to the other end and do the same. After getting a piece of pipe fully off the trailer I had to use the same method to stack in the pile. Our trailers carry around 60 joints of pipe. It took about two hours and dad was just getting back to check on my progress. I stood their head hurting, eyes blood shot, dripping sweat, cotton mouth from hades but a smile on my face as I had showed him the work didn't bother me although I was dieing inside. I was beaming at him with a haha look on my face and asked with pride "what next boss?"

He got the biggest smile on his face and just said "now put it back." I melted and asked what and why. He informed me later that afternoon we would need to go lay out a load of pipe on an alfalfa field and the trailer was now empty so I needed to fill the trailer back up so we could take it to the field. I was horrified.

He was getting back in the pickup and I asked where he was going he said to the house for a cold glass of water and a nap as it was hot and that he wanted to get rested up before we laid the pipe out on the field. I about died. However I put 60 some joints of pipe back on the trailer which took me about 3 hours as I was drained physically. That day I unloaded the trailer, loaded the trailer, then laid out every joint of pipe. (He helped lay it out)

I never stayed out all night or drank due to the fear he would do something like that to me again. (ok well maybe one other time but that is another story)
    RMS, Porp and Rock and Glock like this.

The third one happened my freshmen year of college only three months after the irrigation pipe punishment. (You would think I would learn)

I came home from college for the weekend to get some more of my stuff and planned to stay through the weekend. Some friends of mine talked me into going to a rodeo and a dance that friday night when I had gotten home from school. My dad gave me two warnings (sound familiar) 1. Don't be out all night 2. Don't be drinking

The rodeo went well as we watched from the tailgate of a pickup drinking a couple beers trying to build up enough courage before the dance started. We walked over to the dance and I was looking for any cute girls I could ask to dance. We weren't there 20 minutes when a fight breaks out and I see my buddy is involved and heavily out numbered so lend a hand (or two). 3 on 7 never works out well but we fared pretty well with only some minor bumps and bruises. My ribs were pretty sore from somebodys cowboy boots.

We get home a little late around 3:30 and i head to bed. My dad wakes me up at 5:30 and tells me I need to to the neighbors and help him get three horses ready for a horse sale coming up. I was to wash the three horses brush out their mane and get them looking good as they had just come off pasture. The last thing he told me was to take my gloves. I couldn't for the life of figure out why I would want leather gloves to wash a couple horses.

I get to the nieghbors house and ask the neighbor which three horses he wanted me to wash. He just laughed and asked if that what my dad told me I'd be doing? He asked if I had brough my gloves and I told him no.

He walked me over to a very old barn that hadn't been used in years and in front of it was three trailers all loaded with little bales around 100 lbs. each. He said he really wanted to help me unload them but my dad made him promise I'd be doing it all by myself. It totaled to about 500 little bales. It took me all morning and part of the afternoon to finsih. The barn was very dusty and I couldn't breathe well plus it was August so 100 degree temps. The neighbor did sneak me some water even though he mentioned my dad told him not too. As I should of been smart enough to bring my own. Dad showed up around 2:30 as I was finishing up and the only thing he asked was "Want a beer?" I about puked
    RMS and Rock and Glock like this.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Unfortunately our neighbors had a willow tree that hung over our side of the fence. I hated hearing "Got cut me a switch," so one day (about 16-17 yrs old) when I thought I was all that and a bag of chips, I replied "Go cut it your own damn self." I realized then that the old man didn't really need the switch.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

42 years ago we lived in base housing aboard Camp Lejeune,I think I was no more than 4 years old,I decided the 5 ft playground slide on our block was not enough of a thrill for me.I crossed the street(big mistake#1)played on the big 8ft slide till the street lights came on (BM#2), didn't answer when my Dad whistled (BM#3).Most of the Marines on the block were looking for me When the MP's brought me home.My Dad had all the kids around us mustered to witness punisment.I can't remember the number of licks or the size of the switch,but to this day I get nervous at the mere sight of a slide.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

I'm a city boy, so no crazy punishments, but I did more than a bit of raking when I was 9 or 10 for mouthing off and lying to my parents. My house, my grandparents house and one of my aunts had a house all within two blocks. I raked all of them by myself the whole fall. I learned to be a bit more respectful.

I don't remember this, but apparently when I was a few years old I had a fit and decided to bite my mom. She bit me right back and I never tried that one anyone again.

I got the standard bar of soap in the mouth a few times. I'm sure these days that would be chemical warfare or something!

I did get the wooden spoon paddling once, for what I can't quite remember, but I do remember the sting.

To go with my being paddled with a wooden spoon, my dad told us a story once of a babysitter taking a wooden spoon to his butt. She hit him so hard on the first swing that the spoon broke right off and went flying, and that just made him and his brothers laugh even harder! He said that woman was NOT happy.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Made a D in Fifth grade. Parents gave me whippings throughout the day as they continued to be upset. (Think I ended up with about 6 beatings that day). After my last whipping at 9pm that day they grounded me for the next semester. Each week I brought home progress reports to earn back one thing I was grounded from. They did not bend even a little on the punishment. Lets just say to this day I have never made less than an A since, and it put me where I am today.

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Unfortunately our neighbors had a willow tree that hung over our side of the fence. I hated hearing "Got cut me a switch," so one day (about 16-17 yrs old) when I thought I was all that and a bag of chips, I replied "Go cut it your own damn self." I realized then that the old man didn't really need the switch.
    You were still getting whippings at 17? That's harsh, man.

I'm not a dad, and I'm sure some of you old timers might disagree with this, but I can't imagine my dad resorting to corporal punishment with me or my brother when we were 17. That would have probably resulted in situations involving police/hospitals.

my dad hit me with a shovel, made a man out of me and I never talked back to him after that...RIP

VIP Member
    My mom was a bit weird about jeans when I was a kid. I was not allowed to wear them to school - ever. Finally, when I was in 7th grade, I decided I had had enough of the ridicule at school and I wore jeans. My mom comes running out of the house telling me to change and I tell her "if you don't like it, change me yourself".

I was feeling pretty good about myself all day, then I get home. My mom decides to paddle me and her fav tool was a wooden spoon. Like a post above, it broke and I laughed. That bought me my room til dad comes home.

Dad gets home and we have a discussion. He whips me good for disobeying my mother/lack of respect. BUT, he also had a talk with mom and jeans were OK from then on. It was worth the whipping.
    atctimmy likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I'm still laughing, but I had my share too. Meted out my share 25-30 years later too, and have successful kids to show for it. I hate seeing kids and adults now that were "raised by wolves". There are a lot of those around, unfortunately.
    RMS and gunthorp like this.

Lead Moderator
    The sad part about this thread is that most of the punishments mentioned, and I had a few similar in my day... Are now probably considered "child abuse"!

(The first time I was told to cut my own switch I cut about the thinnest I could find. My cousin (a couple years older and wiser) explained my screw-up, AFTER the spanking!)
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links