Idiot neighbor advice please... - Page 2

Idiot neighbor advice please...

This is a discussion on Idiot neighbor advice please... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Yikes, what a mess! Yeah that's a pretty sticky situation. The homemade bombs that he's detonating are unsafe for him and anyone within a hundred ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Idiot neighbor advice please...

Yikes, what a mess! Yeah that's a pretty sticky situation. The homemade bombs that he's detonating are unsafe for him and anyone within a hundred yards. I've also dealt with problem neighbors, but nothing like what you're describing. I had fears that my neighbor would toss tainted meat over my fence and poison my dogs if I did anything that angered him. I basically dealt with him and his crack parties every night until I moved. You might try talking to the police for advice if you can find an officer who isn't buddies with the jerk, and let him/her know the guy is psycho, so you're concerned about filing a complaint with your name on it. I'm sure they've dealt with situations similar to this and maybe they could advise you as to what can be done.

VIP Member
    You're in a tough spot, and not wanting to escalate anything makes it even tougher. You can quietly bide your time and let him create a "paper trail". The video is a good idea, also just use a pencil and piece of paper and log the date, time and direction of the explosions everytime they occur. You might consider getting some advice from an attorney, not only from the criminal aspect of this but from the civil side.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    If your first priority is that you don't want to escalate the situation then there is not much that you can do about a neighbor like that.
    Whatever action you take things are going to escalate.

Basically it's a no win for you.

If you go to the Police - it escalates. If you confront him - things escalate. If you start playing music really loud at 4 in the morning - same thing.

He seems exactly the sort of person that will retaliate one way or another.

Hopefully the asshat will set himself on fire real soon.
    If he does set himself on fire and starts screaming for your help or to call 911...be sure to call 911 immediately...from a pay phone in Denver.
    atctimmy, l1a1, JoJoGunn and 1 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    I really feel for the OP.
    While we all don't need GREAT neighbors...or friendly neighbors - we just need and want them not to be a constant P.I.T.A.

When you get TERRIBLE or crazy neighbors you're always between "a rock and a hard place" because your family and pets and your property and your vehicle are RIGHT THERE where you live.
    Rock and Glock and 1911srule like this.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    If you don't believe the local PD will help you due to the buddy system, then call the state police. There is always a higher level of authority you can go to. If all goes well he will just blow himself up.
    Spade115 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    I'm completely clueless as to what kind of explosion this is as far as intensity is concerned so please forgive me if my question is way off base. Is it possible that the intensity of his explosions over a period of time can cause structural damage to your home? I have a friend that lives close to a construction site. The State is building a road near his home and they have put devices by his house to measure shock waves to make sure their charges aren't emitting waves with the kind of intensity that can crack the foundation of his home. I'm wondering if your neighbor's hi jinx may not be damaging your house? I'm sure either way, your neighbor is violating the law. I agree with the post that said your neighbor is making home made bombs.
    Aceytylene 'bombs' are pretty much just big noisemakers (with a nice big flash) that don't have a lot of power to do things like crack foundation walls, but within a very short distance could certainly break glass.

Explosives (leaving aside the thermonuclear types) detonated in air don't do all that much damage because air isn't dense enough to propagate the destructive shock waves. Put the same explosive in the ground or in the water, and you'll get a lot more damage.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Endure. Sooner rather than later karma will catch up with him and he'll end up in a burn unit.

Or, go to both the state police and BATF, by pass the locals. If he is visited by someone from the state police or from BATF they don't need to identify you as a complainant. They could merely state that their officer was driving by when it went boom--remember, as is often stated here, the police do not need to be truthful when investigating an incident. They can tell him any fanciful thing they want to get an admission out of him, and then charge him. And if he chooses to not talk to them and acts hostile-- which of course is his right to not talk-- they will draw inferences. Between your complaint and how he acts and what they see on the property they might even be able to develop probable cause and who knows what they will discover. He might be a bigger jerk than you realize.
    DefConGun and Spade115 like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    In this case my advice is to grow a thicker skin and live with it. I think that usually problems like these fix themselves and in a short while will go away without you having to escalate anything.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    If you don't believe the local PD will help you due to the buddy system, then call the state police. There is always a higher level of authority you can go to. If all goes well he will just blow himself up.
    This is what I would do if the local PD doesn't act. But, keep in mind, you have to have some evidence. It's going to take some work, but if this guy is such a nuisance, it shouldn't be too hard,
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

So how come you are not invited to his "explosive" parties? You could bring your own types of explosive devices, you know gasoline, fireworks or everyone of your firearms fully loaded. I'd be insulted if my neighbour did not invite me.

Seriously though, this guy is just trying to jerk your chain because.....he can. You might just have to live with it until the Karma thing catches up and in a drunkfest some evening, he gets some spectacular third degree burns over 75% of his body. That might be worth waiting around to see happen, and it won't be a Pay Per View thing, it will be free.

Other than that, there seems to be no easy answer. Similar in nature to Sixto's inbred Hilljack neighbours only with fireballs.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Aceytylene 'bombs' are pretty much just big noisemakers (with a nice big flash) that don't have a lot of power to do things like crack foundation walls, but within a very short distance could certainly break glass.

Explosives (leaving aside the thermonuclear types) detonated in air don't do all that much damage because air isn't dense enough to propagate the destructive shock waves. Put the same explosive in the ground or in the water, and you'll get a lot more damage.
    Thanks for clarifying this for me Smitty.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    In this case my advice is to grow a thicker skin and live with it. I think that usually problems like these fix themselves and in a short while will go away without you having to escalate anything.
    I think this is very possible. How long could the guy be entertained by this "play"? Its very possible that he'll tire of it so long as a big deal is not made of it. If a big deal is made of it, he could continue out of spite or for the sake of getting attention.

Administrator
    Sometimes people with that personality type AKA a heavy party person - angry - vindictive - vengeful - immature - spiteful etc...have problems keeping a steady job.
    They tend to get terminated often.
    So maybe you'll get lucky and he will get canned and have to move.
    Hopyard likes this.

I don't know what this fella's "bombs do' but the statement below is certainly subject to dispute:

It does not take a thermonuclear level explosion to create damage. It takes a big blast, but nothing approaching thermonuclear.

It would take me a long time to put my hands on the analytical, architectural and engineering data, but there is a substantial body of evidence that blasts and resultant shock waves can create very expensive damage. I know this first hand because I worked with the damage assessment consultants that prepared and filed the Oklahoma City Bombing federal damage claim on behalf of the state of Oklahoma. One of the experts the consultants brought in had spent a couple of years in Kuwait quantifying and studying the shock way damage in Kuwait caused by the Iraq invasion, and it constituted a part of the financial damages that Sadam was forced to repay Kuwait.

Now, having said that, I am not an engineer or architect, but the Feds gave the State of Oklahoma some significant dollars based on structural building damage, just as Sadam was forced to remit some big bucks to Kuwait for same. I am just making the observation that it is apparently accepted in the insurance industry as a loss event that can form the basis for insurance claims. Now obviously those were very large blasts, something far in excess of a trash bag full of gas, but I did want to clarify a wee bit.

I'd be inclined to have a private face-to-face discussion with the county sheriff, and ask him to increase weekend patrols in your area. Once he's been made aware of bombs being exploded in his jurisdiction, he might be inclined to put a stop to it. It's then out of your hands.

VIP Member
    I'm in the seek a higher authority camp on this one.

As was indicated, tell the SP, BATFE that you don't want to be implicated, and hopefully they will go from there. Good luck.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links