Idiot neighbor advice please...

This is a discussion on Idiot neighbor advice please... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I don't know 1911, you sound like this really bothers you, but won't call the authorities and claim he won't pay any attention to you. ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Idiot neighbor advice please...

I don't know 1911, you sound like this really bothers you, but won't call the authorities and claim he won't pay any attention to you. I don't know what kind of advice your'e looking for?
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

2. Remove Ads

It would have helped if the OP gave us all the info in the first post. We are here to help (mostly LOL) but it is hard when you don't get everything in the first post.

Sorry guys, I was reluctant to post everything. Way too much to write as this took place over approx 3+ yr period. Wanted to only address this specific aspect of it. Might be I am just still on the defensive and taking it personal. If he did'nt do this after we hit the rack, I'd probably not think so. The harassment I referenced usually started just after lights out. You'd finally get to sleep and then get another visit. I know he was in on it, he'd be over in his garage laughing with the kids who were coming over here. He was encouraging it at a minimum. I'll talk to him again, probably in vain. I hate repeating myself and admit I have a lack of patience with his sort. Heck in the old days if ya had a problem you threw down got it done and over with. Now everyone leans on the law to solve every problem.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

You could take the red herring approach. Go over to your neighbor and tell him you had some serious looking federal agents stop by and they were asking all sorts of questions about him. Tell him you don't want him to get busted for being a terrorist and get sent to Gitmo. Then you just have to find friend with a black suburban to drive by a few times. At least if you do get the state police or feds involved he might not immediately suspect you since you did warn him.
    l1a1 likes this.
    We the willing, being guided by the unknowing, Doing impossible feats, for the ungrateful, Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
    We now feel qualified to do, absolutely anything, with literally nothing

when your "friend" has another fireworks or bomb display, try a .22 with a silencer to have your own little show of your own, at his expense. Of course this would be a more extreme measure but whatever it takes. For a less subtle approach, I would suggest the ol' flamming crap in the paper bag on the porch we all did as teens. After all, you said he loves his fire! And certainly a proven method when dealing with annoying neighbors that worked for me in college, calling to police up to 10 times per night when people would not stop yelling and cussing and playing loud music when I had class at 8. The first step is not calling the police yourself, have a friend that lives no where near you, a relative, ect. The point of this is to keep the police from coming to your door, not letting them know who is the person calling them. Pretty soon the police will rather shut the neighbor up than put up with you. Trust me, it works after a few nights of it! When my sister has a problem with her neighbor, she gives me the house number, i call the cops up, same for me. I know some of these measures may seem extreme, but hey, sometimes you gotta fight fire with fire! pun intended.

VIP Member
    OK OP I believe you. If this guy is as bad as you say and people are showing up after dark then it's time to get down and dirty. I suggest some camo and a good BB gun, or even better, a fast firing semi auto paintball gun. Stay on your own property and set an ambush.

Going home with about 15 big purple welts on them will make his kids reconsider sneaking around your house in the dark. If the police show up tell them "the truth", that you were playing paintball in your own yard.
    Spade115 likes this.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    OK OP I believe you. If this guy is as bad as you say and people are showing up after dark then it's time to get down and dirty. I suggest some camo and a good BB gun, or even better, a fast firing semi auto paintball gun. Stay on your own property and set an ambush.

Going home with about 15 big purple welts on them will make his kids reconsider sneaking around your house in the dark. If the police show up tell them "the truth", that you were playing paintball in your own yard.
    Tim, some folks might take your suggestion seriously :-

1911 can't help himself in any way by doing anything whatsoever the least bit irresponsible. He needs to stay on his own property, phone the police only when entirely appropriate to do so, use force however mild only to
    protect his home, property and kids, and generally keep a low profile.

In that way he will be a good neighbor, and perhaps this will blow over.

There seems to be much more to this shifting story than presented, and nothing we say here is going to help since we are only getting a portion of a situation which has gone on for some time and which
    seems to have lots of inconsistencies. Even in small towns, police do their job when someone has crossed the line too much or too far.

I started off sympathetic to the OP, but when the story shifted, he lost me. When he started talking about fears that his property would be torched, he further lost me, because that is inconsistent with his other
    statements that his neighbor is well liked and friends with the LEOs at the local level.

OP needs to stop getting his advice from us amateurs and go see a general practice attorney for further advice on how to properly complain, to whom, etc., and how to properly obtain some meaningful
    evidence of the acetylene bomb. He also needs advice on what he may or may not do with vandals on his property (if they ever show up), and more.

Maybe I'm too cynical, but I don't think we can possibly help him.
    suntzu likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post

Timmy, that's just downright mean and devious......that's why I like it! LOL!

Although dealing with these "types" that way could escalate this into something worse than painball guns, still though it is a very interesting proposition.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

If I was the OP, based on the information that he has posted, I would pack up and move as quickly as possible. If this thing escalates (and it looks like it is) to the point that law enforcement becomes involved, they are his neighbor's buddies, not his. Apparently, everyone in town is his neighbor's buddy, so any criminal proceedings will likely involve the testimony of law enforcement (his neighbor's buddies) and a jury of his peers (once again friends of the neighbor). Before a stacked jury relocated me against my will, I would just cut my losses and move while I could. Obviously, that advice is based on only hearing one side of the story, but that's how I see it.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Im 26 and im not one for moveing unless needed. I agree calling higher ups would be your best bet and seeing as you really dont like the concept of "snitching" it will be your safest and best bet.

I like the .22 approach but a BB gun would probably do the same and be less dangeous.

Paintball idea is funny and would love to do that as well. lol or with an airsoft just put some soda cans out and say you were outside target shooting and you saw someone comeing onto your yard.

Honestly if its been going on for years. (3+) and it seems others dont like him antics but tollerate him, it becomes a ram em or jump ship. Your best bet in this situation is as stated and contact an attorney and go higher up the food chain police wise.

Good luck man.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

He's already said he'd move... trying to sell and get a loan.. can be a little interesting now that we've bailed out the banks... and insurance companies... unless you have an 800+.

What he needs is a ninja. Well, nothing else has worked.

It wasn't quite that bad around here when we moved out to the sticks... but rural areas anywhere can have some very very tight cliques. And, the local PD may be friendly with all the "in crowd." In rural areas, kids "ain't got nuttin' but time" to retaliate for some imagined offense against them, their kin, or their buds.

You could try some tannerite bombs which might cause a bigger boom and flash than his baggie bombs... sometimes, if your better at their own game than they are, they give up...

But, I'm really in favor of moving in this case, you've made too many enemies in that "hood."
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Exactly why I posted this, no real solution in sight. We'll just play it cool till we can sell. Maybe work on my diplomatic skills. Thank you all for your input..
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links