Idiot neighbor advice please...

This is a discussion on Idiot neighbor advice please... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; OK, we are in a pretty rural area. I have a drunken idiot who lives next door. He's Mr popular with the locals and according ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Idiot neighbor advice please...

Idiot neighbor advice please...

OK, we are in a pretty rural area. I have a drunken idiot who lives next door. He's Mr popular with the locals and according to him the police too. He likes large parties at his makeshift bar/garage and we've not gotten along since day one when we moved here. I tried getting along with him, but he's impossible. He's also friends with a neighbor who we have had serious harassment issues with. Here's the problem, this jerk likes filling large trash bags with acetylene from his welding tanks and detonating them about 60 yds from my home. If we were on an EOD range I'd be cool with it, but this is NOT cool. The concussion replicates about a two block C-4 demo charge, and the jerk does this as soon as our lights go out and we go to bed. I'm sure its just a coincidence...yeah right. My pets freak out. It does'nt happen every weekend so its not like I could get video to use. At least not till summer when he does it pretty much every weekend. If I talk to police I may just start up a previous harassment problem that was really BAD. I don't want to escalate this. Already told him to scale it back, but he could care less. Any advice is welcome. Been hoping the idiot would discover that static electricity sometimes trumps a fuse...
    RIP Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

well you have three options:

1) ignore him

2) engage him in civil discourse and try to reach some middle ground

3) find out if what he's doing is illegal (probably is) and file a complaint with the local PD

Not too tricky. Just make a decision.
    bwalker51 likes this.

I know what a trash bag filled with acetylene gas looks and sounds like when it goes off... impressive, but not if you're in the echo zone next door.

If you can catch your idiot neighbor on video while he's detonating one of his gas bags, I'd say that would be ample evidence to interest the local gendarmes, if not even the BATFE. I don't know which state you're in, but having spent 50+ years in the Northeast I'd be surprised if his pyrotechnics are completely legal in any of those states.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

If the Police do not want to do anything..... (and they should if it's their buddy , just tell him to cool it). And present them with a video tape.

If you don't have one, there are cheap systems @ Harbor Freight that will plug right into any video recorder.... Black and White Security System with Two Cameras & Monitor

or, have video in hand and call the ATF and tell them your neighbor keeps blowing up home-made bombs in his backyard. It is a home-made bomb. The ATF , responded to "potato guns" .... as being illegal and an explosive device.
    Spade115 likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

You should join forces with Sixto, he has great neighbors as well!
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    I don't want to escalate this.

get with the program. things of this nature go away when 'they' move or you make it so that there is a change in
    neighborhood that makes his actions no longer possible.

if you can not coordinate with the neighbors than it is upon you. security camers with 30 min record/endless loop
    for under $100 at radio shack. evidance goes to the police and you sign a formal complaint. if BATF gets involves, even better.

just realize there may be payback. have a plan now
    good luck
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I'd start a pig farm!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Administrator
    If your first priority is that you don't want to escalate the situation then there is not much that you can do about a neighbor like that.
    Whatever action you take things are going to escalate.

Basically it's a no win for you.

If you go to the Police - it escalates. If you confront him - things escalate. If you start playing music really loud at 4 in the morning - same thing.

He seems exactly the sort of person that will retaliate one way or another.

Hopefully the asshat will set himself on fire real soon.
    l1a1, oneshot and tcox4freedom like this.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I'm completely clueless as to what kind of explosion this is as far as intensity is concerned so please forgive me if my question is way off base. Is it possible that the intensity of his explosions over a period of time can cause structural damage to your home? I have a friend that lives close to a construction site. The State is building a road near his home and they have put devices by his house to measure shock waves to make sure their charges aren't emitting waves with the kind of intensity that can crack the foundation of his home. I'm wondering if your neighbor's hi jinx may not be damaging your house? I'm sure either way, your neighbor is violating the law. I agree with the post that said your neighbor is making home made bombs.

I hope for you to have success with your situation.

Go to the range.
    Make freinds with a cop.
    Have new buddy over for BBQ.
    Let him make the call.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Proverbs 25: 21-22 Follow this advice you will have the greatest power on your side.

Rich

sounds like someone needs a blanket party

I don't see any easy way out for you. This guy with a little luck might blow himself up. Good luck!

You have 1 other option...............MOVE.
    GunTrooper likes this.

All good advice guys THANK YOU, and I have weighed this for awhile now. Except the proverbs reference which I'll look up following my coffee. I'll keep trying to get video, problem is its always at night so no positive ID is possible. Except it is being conducted on his property at his party's. That should be enough, and it is clearly manufacturing an explosive device. Maybe classed illegal fireworks, don't know. We've been witness to probably 30+ incidents where he detonated these. Getting real old! Concussion worse when humidity is high, like 11pm last night! I CAN imagine what would happen if one went off on my doorstep or under a window! I live in a strange area unlike any other I had in the past. The local police went to school with this guy, everyone knows everyone else. We are the outsiders here. Always thought I was a redneck since I grew up in the country...till I moved here.Did I mention they planned to film DELIVERANCE II here lol...

note- trying to move since our previous history with others around here. The banks are not loaning for new mortgages. I could sell this place , been trying to find and finance the next place is the challenge.Ideally we want to make a major move out west away from NE
    CaptSmith likes this.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links