People in the audience talking, or checking their cel phones during a movie...

This is a discussion on People in the audience talking, or checking their cel phones during a movie... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ BTW: it has been illegal to jam airways from licensed carriers since 1934 so this is not new. The fact that when we were ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: People in the audience talking, or checking their cel phones during a movie...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    BTW: it has been illegal to jam airways from licensed carriers since 1934 so this is not new. The fact that when we were growing up you left phone numbers was because that was how technology was. The solution isn't to jam the signals. The solution is to have management be diligent to enforce rules like being quiet, turn off phones. Besides, what technology are you going to use to stop the biggest distractors? Folks talking. I bet you like the idea of a LEO flashing a badge. Great solution. Now we have cops doing what management should do.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

People in the audience talking, or checking their cel phones during a movie...

Just because jamming is illegal doesn't mean that I don't support the principle or believe that it should be illegal. If more denizens would act responsibly and exhibit courtesy we wouldn't need managers, police or any other "authority" to enforce rules.

For that matter, I think the reliance on external authorities to enforce rules is a large part of what has changed for the worse in this country. Now, most just suffer silently while some stupid jerk gets their way without consequence. It used to be that one who acted that way was dealt with.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Just because jamming is illegal doesn't mean that I don't support the principle or believe that it should be illegal. If more denizens would act responsibly and exhibit courtesy we wouldn't need managers, police or any other "authority" to enforce rules.

For that matter, I think the reliance on external authorities to enforce rules is a large part of what has changed for the worse in this country. Now, most just suffer silently while some stupid jerk gets their way without consequence. It used to be that one who acted that way was dealt with.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
    I agree with ya to a certain point. We all agree it is rude. It is how to handle it and of course the ever balancing of rights et al. If I am a responsible person and put my phone on vibrate and I don't get a signal because it is being jammed (just for the sake of arguement legally) I will be ticked. I am being denied a service I paid for. I might be on call or have family matters that need to be addressed. The simplest way is to call me and I will excuse my self. Now, you want to deny me a service I paid for because of others. I know somebody will say that a sign is posted and if you do not like it do not go to the theater. Well, we all know how much we hate it when we see no gun signs. Even if it was legal, I would guess a lot of establishments would not use them for fear of a law suit. To jam an entire theatre (just the seated part) is possible but doubt the theaters would pay to sheild them. If they don't shield them the lobbies and parking lots or parts of will be jammed also. All they need is for an someone to try to call 911 and they get no signal then ya got a lawsuit.

In a theatre and some guy's cell phone went off about the 4 th time..... and some guy yelled to him.... "put up the phone or I'll bust it the next time" . The entire theatre audience applauded. The guy with the phone went outside the theatre (I would guess for his phone call) but never came back in.

There is a "vibrate / silent" mode..... "USE IT " ....
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Was it you?

I had a "friend" do this in a restruant recently while his mother and a sister were present. A group got together and paid for my "friends" meal because the guy went outside.

My solution is easy..Stand up, fart, wait for the air to clear before I sit back down. You would be amazed at how quite things get.....The kids think its funny. Two birds with one stone......
    357and40 and msgt/ret like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    Wait for the DVD. Movies are for the sheeple. I can reload lots of ammo in the amount of "spare time" it takes to drive to the show then fork over over $50.00 bucks for the tickets and popcorn,watch the show and drive home.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Did he report the assault? Was it the usher or the noise makers that did the assaulting?

There is no need to escalate an assault or it will lead to nothing but trouble this is especially true of a concealed carry.

De-escalate (is that a word?)

I try to go to the matinees when all the old farts are watching the movies, it's cheaper, less crowded and usually there are less inconsiderate folks.
    He reported the assault to law enforcement and management apologized profusely and gave him a token free pass to a movie.

I only wish I was there in order to make an easy target (my brother in law) seem like less of an easy target. If he were not alone I doubt it would have come to anything.

Like I said. I avoid Wherenbergh like the plague...

On another note:
    I have a 4 year old. Kids features (Pixar/Dreamworks) we tend to do a day off work and catch an early afternoon show. It tends to be seniors and parents with little ones. Lets be blunt. Going to a movie targeted at kids you expect people to talk a bit, but as a parent you have to try to be considerate of those around you as well.

It really is all about being considerate.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    It really is all about being considerate.
    Good manners are a set of conventions and rules that allow us to co-exist without killing each other.
    357and40 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ttowndeputy View Post
    Just got back from watching "Warhorse" with my teenage son and daughter. I noticed several couples nearby having conversations, or checking their cel phones during the movie. I "shushed" them as respectfully as they deserved, yet I fail to understand their mentality. The sad thing is, that the worst offenders seem to be middle aged, to senior aged folks that should know better. Thanks for the opportunity to rant..What say you?
    We always get this at the Bayfair cinema near SL, CA. Pisses me off. One time I got into a shouting match with these 8 or so twenty-somethings- just me a ne the misses. These guys were on their iphones, chatting it up, laughing at the movie, talking in Portugese ( Been to Brazil several times so I know the lingo) hella loud- I basically was about to get into a fight with one of them- only when I got in the face of the biggest creep, did they stand down- I was not worried cuz I can handle my own in the ring- and I have been trained to know how to handle mult assailants at once. At that point the rest of the audience had my back when I yelled at these fools and told them we all in here paid for the movie and not to hear these jerks flapping their gums. Everybody was cheering me at that point- it was kinda surreal and comical at the same time- there were these tow couples, one Chinese and the other AA and they were all like " Yeah he's right now shut up"- that was the funniest part- the seniors had my back that day. In hindsight I shoulda just cooled down and told the cinema manager and the security- not only would they tell the noisy folks to get out- the manager would give us a refund or gift certificate for another movie. I don't condone violence, and so maybe for those of you out there with no martial arts training should just alert the manager and security. BTW how as Warhorse? Looks like a good flick.
    Totus vestri castrum es nostrum possessia

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    "with all due respect, and even not...i told you once before that the dancing light is bothersome. now, if i need to tell you that again; the same place the sun don't shine is where you will find your phone"

the stranger between us offered to hold him...

my wife says im intolerant but found it amusing.

-----------------
    tues is card holders half rate plus points yet there is still lots of mt seats.
    doesn't matter where you sit cause even the announcement...twice, to turn off cells and use them in the lobby
    falls on 'not-me' ears.

---2 thumbs up on the jammer after 1 warning...or set my phaser on heavy stun
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I get a kick out of the folks who after noticing that you are watching them talk on the phone will get all indignant about it and announce that this is a private call. That you should not listen in.
    Along a similar vein. I have had folks come to my house to shoot the bull then get a call on their cell phone. Instead of ignoring the call or telling them to call later they take the call and just proceed to talk like you aren't even there. Normally I will just tell them that I am busy and they need to go now.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Yeah, brilliant idea. Until someone has to make an emergencey call or is waiting for one. It ain't none of your business to jam the signal. People should be courteous and not talk while in a theater or resturaunt. Even if it is mundane stupid texting it still ain't your job to dictate what is right and what is wrong.

BTW: people have been annoying in theaters before cell phones. Mgt took care of it like they should with cell phones.
    It is the right of the theater to dictate what is right or wrong,private property. We prefer to call out the manager to expel the rude idiots that do not care about others.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links