People in the audience talking, or checking their cel phones during a movie...

This is a discussion on People in the audience talking, or checking their cel phones during a movie... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just got back from watching "Warhorse" with my teenage son and daughter. I noticed several couples nearby having conversations, or checking their cel phones during ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: People in the audience talking, or checking their cel phones during a movie...

Just got back from watching "Warhorse" with my teenage son and daughter. I noticed several couples nearby having conversations, or checking their cel phones during the movie. I "shushed" them as respectfully as they deserved, yet I fail to understand their mentality. The sad thing is, that the worst offenders seem to be middle aged, to senior aged folks that should know better. Thanks for the opportunity to rant..What say you?

How good of a shot are you? Can you hit a phone at 10 yards?

Actually, sometimes you have to give people the respect that they DO NOT deserve...ignore them!
    l1a1 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Funny, when I saw the movie War Horse I had the same thing. Two middle aged women sitting right behind us discussing the whole thing, drove me nuts. Not sure what people think any more. I once had a lady near me who forgot to turn off her cell phone (or at least silence it), not only did it ring, but she answered it?!?!? Makes me really enjoy waiting and watching the movies at home.

At least you know some folk's priorities in life now. Strange as it may seem, there is no we in team and most are only concerned with themselves. Silly thing this electronic connection............. Good and bad. Be aware of those who choose not to be aware. They are the reason we fight for our chances these days. Either the devil or the Chinese are going to take us in simple ways. Take your pick.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    But but...there's a ME in team It doesn't bother me if folks want to play on their cellphones during a movie, talking above a whisper is not ok though.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Never go to movies. If it's good enough I can wait for the DVD or whatever. Rudeness is only the beginning, rampant lawlessness is next.

I hate it...seems its kids more so when I have had to deal with it.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    You can buy a pocket cell phone jammer for about $100. i wish the theaters would buy the big ones. We considered buidling one to mount on motorcycles but figured that drivers would be looking at their dead phones rather than paying attention to driving, so safety would be decreased.

Last movie I went to was Backdraft.

Went to the movieslast week and commented to my wife that it's sad that there had to be three announcements to silence the devices before the show started.

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    You can buy a pocket cell phone jammer for about $100. i wish the theaters would buy the big ones. We considered buidling one to mount on motorcycles but figured that drivers would be looking at their dead phones rather than paying attention to driving, so safety would be decreased.
    Yeah, brilliant idea. Until someone has to make an emergencey call or is waiting for one. It ain't none of your business to jam the signal. People should be courteous and not talk while in a theater or resturaunt. Even if it is mundane stupid texting it still ain't your job to dictate what is right and what is wrong.

BTW: people have been annoying in theaters before cell phones. Mgt took care of it like they should with cell phones.

I too hate that in movie theatres and cell phone conversations in eateries. However, I was standing side by side with an older gent (I'm 49 and he probably had 30 years on me) at Duncan Donuts the other day. We'd exchanged pleasantries about the weather etc. As we waited for our coffee I pulled my droid out of my pocket, checked a text from my wife and slid it back into my pocket. All of this was subtle and quiete and didn't involve more than me pushing one button...reading some text and sliding it back into my pocket. He announced to the clerk (who was about 18) "I hate this new generation with their gadgets". Mind you I was still right there. I considered saying something incindiary but instead smiled and said, "Have a great day". At least he considered me the 'new' generation.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

I dont care if someone wants to text or whisper to the point i can not hear it but it ticks me off when folks want to TALK in the movie.

My brother in law (a guy who could not fight his way out of a paper bag with a machete, a baseball bat, and a 12 gauge) was assaulted at a wherenberg theater after calling the usher to quiet a family when he went to see "Saw3." The guy literally threw him against the wall and laid into him about "how dare you..." I wish I was there but hey, Wherenberg does not allow for CC so I avoid them...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Somehow people have the idea that the world is in awe of them and they are vastly more important than those around.

Rudness in fact is on the rise with cell phones, IPods, IPads, and other electronic distracting devices. It's just a way of life for some people. There is always someone who wants to irritate the other quiet folk until someone disturbs them and as the Brits would say, "Well now, we can't have that!"

Shushing someone or telling them how rude they are is pretty much a waste of time because you can't fix stupid, not even with duct tape and a Colt .45.

I would have gone to the manager/ticket office, demanded and not left until recieving a refund and return later to another showing.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post

My brother in law (a guy who could not fight his way out of a paper bag with a machete, a baseball bat, and a 12 gauge) was assaulted....
    The guy literally threw him against the wall and laid into him about "how dare you..." I wish I was there but hey, Wherenberg does not allow for CC so I avoid them...
    Would you have shot him???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links