Someone give me their opinion about these trucks - Page 2

Someone give me their opinion about these trucks

This is a discussion on Someone give me their opinion about these trucks within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The ridgeline isn't a truck. It is a unibody design built on a car chassis. It has both IFS and IRS. Like a hybrid. The ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Someone give me their opinion about these trucks

The ridgeline isn't a truck. It is a unibody design built on a car chassis. It has both IFS and IRS. Like a hybrid. The frontier and Tacoma are true pickup truck frames with solid rear axles.

if you want a car, get a car, not a ridgeline.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    The ridgeline isn't a truck. It is a unibody design built on a car chassis. It has both IFS and IRS.
    I would stay away from any vehicle that puts the IRS on board - JK
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    Trust me I am, the Ridgeline is rated the best for reliability and ride surprisingly by CR, the Tacoma and Frontier are in the middle, the Wrangler gets the worst marks of any suv pretty much, and the Equator is too new for data.

I think I'll end up with the Tacoma, still not 100%, but I'll be doing some serious looking and driving in the next month or so.

To Glockman: How is the visibility with the FJ? Just looking at the outside it seems a bit limited.
    Partner, everytime I get in I want to put on my flak jacket and grab my A2. mine is Olive Drab Green, and I feel like it's a freaking urban assault vehicle. Visibility is not bad, there is a blind spot that you need to be aware of, but if you can adjust mirrors and turn your head, it's no issue.

Mine is loaded. It has a JBL sound system, and a four wheel drive selection system that is awesome. Im glad I opted to try it.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Partner, everytime I get in I want to put on my flak jacket and grab my A2. mine is Olive Drab Green, and I feel like it's a freaking urban assault vehicle. Visibility is not bad, there is a blind spot that you need to be aware of, but if you can adjust mirrors and turn your head, it's no issue.

Mine is loaded. It has a JBL sound system, and a four wheel drive selection system that is awesome. Im glad I opted to try it.
    They are really nice. The only reason I went down the Tacoma road instead of the FJ Main battle tank is that I like to ride a lot and I needed something that could carry my YZ without having to use a trailer.... hence the pickup truck is the obvious choice.

Yeah, the pkup bed is soooo handy. And the Tacoma is one well built tuff truck. Mine had around 200000 miles and still going strong with a 4 cyl, standard 4WD. Can't beat them.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    The ridgeline isn't a truck. It is a unibody design built on a car chassis. It has both IFS and IRS. Like a hybrid. The frontier and Tacoma are true pickup truck frames with solid rear axles.

if you want a car, get a car, not a ridgeline.
    Fair enough, but for the purpose of this discussion I was including it simply because it has a cargo bed.

The FJ is a darn good looking machine, I may have to try that out as well. Thank you all, I appreciate the opinions, as I haven't been looking for a new vehicle for quite some while, and never anything like a truck or suv.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

IAm Not Lost,

I would recommend that you take a hard look at purchasing a Ford P/U for the following reasons. I have been driving Ford P/U's since 1972. Some of them were company and some were personal vehicles. I worked in pipeline construction for 37 years so I was around hundreds of pickups mostly Ford and Chevy, these P/U's took alot of abuse. Without a doubt IMHO Fords held up much better than Chevy's in the field.
    The contractor that I worked for the last 20 years of my career is the oldest contractor in California ( Ca. State contractors license No.8), established in 1887. They own approx. 900 P/U's, 1/2 ton - 2 ton, everyone of them is a Ford.
    However, I do have some friends and relatives that wouldn't drive anything but a Chevy. Most of them have had pretty good luck with Chevy's, but they're only driven on the street and no off roading. Just my 2 cents, good luck with whatever you decide to purchase.
    Oh by the way, the Ford F 150 P/U was the largest selling vehicle in America for about 10 years and still might be, I haven't heard.

VIP Member
    Tacoma gets my vote.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have owned Fords,Chevys,and a Dodge. I bought my first Toyota Tundra 8yrs ago. Currently on my 2nd. 158,000+ miles and other then normal maintainance not one problem. Going to get a new one next year. I really like the Tacoma just not enough
    leg room. Also have a Camery and a Corolla. Personally I would not own anything else.
    TC

I like my F150. Its about to go over 175,000 miles and it is from 2000. I used to date a girl that had a Tacoma and I drove it periodically. It was a good truck, but I never really liked it. Same goes for my mom's Sequoia. They just didn't feel right....

Check out the 4Runner or Explorer, maybe, if you don't really need a truck.

I love my Z71, it cant be beat. The toyotas are tough trucks, nobody can deny it but a basic truck with half the motor, half the power and the same gas mileage just dosent turn me on, not to mention costing just as much or more than a well equiped chevy or ford. For highway driving on flat roads my truck can get 20-21 mpg, can pull a A LOT of weight, and take E-85 fuel. I'll give ford credit, they make nice trucks, I almost bought one in 2008 with my company discount but I think the interiors are a little more cheap looking than chevys. They didnt have to power saving 8 to 4 cylinder change up at the time either. Dont even get me started on dodges, you better buy a boat load of transmissions and rear ends because its just a matter of time before they give out. The hemi? Great technology for the 1960's It also gets 1960s fuel economy. They ride like cadillacs but that cuts back on their payload badly. The ford or chevy is your best bet for a new buy. Full size comfort, motor, and price with a V-8.

I have a truck, and a Jeep Cherokee. When there is bad weather, I'm constantly pulling my brother, nephew and son-in-law out of getting stuck in their 4X4 trucks @ the farm ..... 1 a ford, 1 a chevy and 1 a dodge ram. So, that tells you what my opinion is. I'll rely on my Jeep.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Another vote for the Tacoma. I have a '97 and love it! NO issues whatsoever. Reliability is a wonderful thing! +1 on the Consumer Reports ratings.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

I would say Tacoma, first choice. The Frontier would be a close second.

Aye toyota or wrangler. Bother are great as far as reliability. I have personally owned numerous wranglers stock and modded. two of my best friends have newer tacoma 4 door TRD packages. I'm not familiar with the newer tacoma packages but they are pretty sweet. My buddy uses his to go out in the desert in southern cali through some harsh environments and it handles it like a champ never an issue.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links