Canned venison help - Page 2

Canned venison help

This is a discussion on Canned venison help within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by poleclimber9 From here on it's just standard canning, boiled the lids, then tighten them on the jars with the rings. We pressure ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canned venison help

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by poleclimber9 View Post
    From here on it's just standard canning, boiled the lids, then tighten them on the jars with the rings. We pressure cooked them for 90 minutes at 10 psi. They all sealed fine. I didn't expect the meat to look 'good' when they were done, and I wasn't surprised by the way they turned out. It's just my opinion, I'm sure the flavor will be great, it's just that in this state it doesn't have a real appealing look. You can check the pics and see what you think (hopefully I posted them right!) We will probably wait about a month before we open one up for supper, I can't wait to see how it turns out.
    Looks better than some of the things I ate while flying around the world for the USAF.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

You might try browning the chunks first, I understand all meats should be cooked about 3/4 through before canning anyways, and it may look a little more appetizing when its done. Just a thought.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

I can some every year and have tried several different things. I have found that canning it raw with a little canning salt is best. I either cuber it in about 1" cubes or grind it. Put it in a jar with about 1" of head space, add salt seal and pressure cook for 90 minutes at 11 psi on the cooker. I normally make brats and snack sticks out of the trimmings but have used some of the grindings for canning. It works great for hot dishes, tacos and well anything you would make with ground meat. I like to can pints of meat and pints of potatoes. Meat in the pot with a little gravy, heat and mash spuds and its a 5 minute meal.

I tried adding taco seasoning to the meat before canning and wont be trying that again. Add the seasoning when your going to use it and its good but canning with taco seasoning not so good.

Quote Originally Posted by jim5513 View Post
    I can some every year and have tried several different things. I have found that canning it raw with a little canning salt is best. I either cuber it in about 1" cubes or grind it.
    How much water are you adding, if any? I'm looking at doing cubed and ground if I can talk my wife into it. The ground meat video I watched showed them cooking the meat first by boiling it. Then using the water to pour over the meat in the jars. Just trying to get a handle on how canning it raw would work. Thanks.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    How much water are you adding, if any? I'm looking at doing cubed and ground if I can talk my wife into it. The ground meat video I watched showed them cooking the meat first by boiling it. Then using the water to pour over the meat in the jars. Just trying to get a handle on how canning it raw would work. Thanks.
    I don't add any water to the meat. Just fill the jar with meat and add canning salt to taste. I use apx. 1/4 tsp in a pint jar but that depends on what you like. I go with the I can add more during cooking if needed but its really hard to take the salt out after you add it. I don't pre cook the meat either because it's so lean but when I do chicken I cook it about 2/3 before canning by boiling it in broth. Ground beef I brown to remove the fat and can it that way. It is really easy to do just takes time. The nice thing is you can set the jars on a shelf and it lasts basically forever. Forever isn't too long in my house.

Now that I have done the cubes, I'm thinking about giving ground meat a shot since you guys mentioned it. I heard about it, but I thought it would turn to mush and it didn't sound right canning it ground. So you cook it, drain the fat, and can it without adding water if I'm following you guys correctly. Could you describe how it turns out? Is it at all mushy from going thru the canning process? Does it produce any liquid during the process? I guess you could just drain and use, just curious I guess. I may just try it and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by jim5513 View Post
    I don't add any water to the meat. Just fill the jar with meat and add canning salt to taste. I use apx. 1/4 tsp in a pint jar but that depends on what you like. I go with the I can add more during cooking if needed but its really hard to take the salt out after you add it. I don't pre cook the meat either because it's so lean but when I do chicken I cook it about 2/3 before canning by boiling it in broth. Ground beef I brown to remove the fat and can it that way. It is really easy to do just takes time. The nice thing is you can set the jars on a shelf and it lasts basically forever. Forever isn't too long in my house.
    Thanks. Our main meat source is venison. But with the garden I'm running out of freezer space. I need to can a few jars so my wife can see if she likes it. The venison is not the issue, she loves that. She's just having a hard time with the idea of canning meat. But seeing as I only lost 3 jars from the garden last year to bad seals, maybe she'll trust me. My plan was to can some of the last deer I got. Never did get another one though.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links