Canned venison help

This is a discussion on Canned venison help within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; After doing some research online, I have decided to turn to the forum I trust the most for some advice. Next weekend my hunting buddies ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canned venison help

Canned venison help

After doing some research online, I have decided to turn to the forum I trust the most for some advice. Next weekend my hunting buddies and I are going to get together and can some of our deer meat from last fall. Like anything, there are 100 different ways to get it done. I am familiar with canning in general as we have done vegetables for years, but never meat.

I plan on using a pressure cooker (there's a lot of debate about that online), I think pressure canning is the way to go. Surely somebody here has a special recipe they use and maybe would be willing to share? I have heard everything from keeping it simple and just canning straight venison either raw or cooked, to adding any combination of the following, salt, pepper, beef fat, bacon, onion, garlic, lipton onion soup mix, and sometimes even vegetables.

So that's where I am, just looking for opinions from people who do this all the time. What do you like the best? I'm willing to try a few variables this year and decide on a favorite for next time.

Thanks for the advice!

2. Remove Ads

I would like to hear the recipe for this one as well!
    No damn man kills me and lives.
    Nathan Bedford Forrest

make jerky.;that way it gets eaten
    you are talking about this fall that passed?

VIP Member
    I have never heard of home canning of meat and my grandmother canned just about everything imaginable. For meat I just vacuum package it using a Food Saver brand device, meats frozen after packaging this way last 2-4 years in the freezer with no lose of flavor.

FoodSaver®
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Are you canning it cubed, ground ?? How are ya wanting to do it ?? Pressure canner is a must ...10lbs for about 90 minutes
    "Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14

The venison in my house usually dose not last that long. Everyone really enjoys it, so we have some for supper quite often.Other then the hamberger I usually freeze backstraps,roasts ect in a large ziplock filled with water. Lasts a very long time. I do the same with all the fish we catch. Think about it. Its frozen in water,cant get frost burn.

Not sure HOW to do it, but I've had canned Venison...lasts a long time and melts in your mouth.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Found a recipe here that may help.

Cooks.com - Recipe - Canned Venison
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

i would suggest the KERR BLUE BOOK for canning, real simple and through recipes for meats. good advice on what you can't do too. check out this site self-reliance | homesteading | backwoods | home | magazine. look for Jackie Clay.

pressure canning is the only why to do meat, period.

I am planning on canning some meat from this past season. I normally grind/freeze everything, and we go thru a TON of deer. The family loves it and I usually fill 3 tags between bow, shotgun, and muzzle loader seasons. I know what you're saying about freezing, it works well. But here's the thing, while we were cutting up the meat last season we decided to experiment with the canning process. I have heard a few people mention it and I have never heard anything but comments on how good it is. We saved about 20 lbs of the best meat to play around with. Since we can vegetables, we have everything we need to make it happen, so it should be fun.

I did the internet search and came up with several ideas, so I know how we are going to do it (pressure canning, etc), I was just looking for some ideas on recipes. I thought maybe somebody would have experience canning venison and recommend certain things to add, like onions, or not to add...

Our big day is next Saturday, so if nobody here has any recommendations for us we will just dive in and see what happens! I figured we will probably make several variations and just do a few quarts each, then see what we like the best. I will take some pictures and post back here when it's all done.

Thanks!

Oh, and in addition, here's a couple benefits I found online to canning meat.

1. You don't need electricity to store your meat, no freezer necessary. (I thought this may appeal to some members here)
    2. It's ready to eat as soon as you open the jar, no thawing necessary
    3. It's great to take along camping, again because it's easy to store.

We often cube and can deer meat. I can remember ever since I was little. We have a big pot that goes on the stove and mason jars. I like to cut away connective tissue. It's a little more time consuming but makes it that much more enjoyable. We cut it up and put it in jars with a little water and probably a teaspoon of salt (dump a little in) then put the lid on loosely and put them in the pot, cover with water and get it boiling. I think three or four hours, can't remember the time exactly. Then take the jars out and put them on a towel or something. As the jars cool, the lids seal themselves making a popping noise. From then on it is fully cooked and ready to eat. (still looks pink)
    Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.
    It's faster to dial 3-5-7 than it is to dial 9-1-1.
    I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

I'm still trying to talk my wife into canning venison. But I was just interested in canning it plain, either ground or cubed. I've got a great sausage recipe, but can't see how it would work with canning. I think the water would ruin the flavor. Good luck. And let us know how it goes. I'm interested.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

a couple of quick thoughts. don't season the meat before canning. some seasons are apt to develop some bad characteristics that might not be good. also be careful about canning ground ven., ground venison can have a tendency to lump together into a solid mass that doesn't can well. so you might want to cook it first

Here's an update for those who were maybe following the thread. We made a decision and this is what we ended up doing. I will share the recipe we came up with (it's a combination of several different ideas) but you'll have to keep in mind we haven't eaten any yet! We want to leave it sit for a few weeks guessing that it will take some time for all the flavors to sink in.

Here it is:

1. Cut the meat in cubes, probably 1/2" to 3/4".
    2. Wash the jars and then submerge in boiling water to sanitize
    3. Add a couple rings of fresh onion to the bottom of jar
    4. Fill half way with meat
    5. Add a couple more rings of onion
    6. Top off the jar with meat, we didn't pack them tight, just filled leaving about an inch of space at the top
    7. On the top of the meat, sprinkle 1 tsp of canning salt for a quart size jar. (1/2 tsp for pints)
    8. Add 1 tsp of Beef soup base, OR bouillon cube
    9. Sprinkle a small amount of garlic powder
    10. Add one strip of bacon, just lay in there on top of the meat
    11. We added water to fill the jars to about 1/2 full. The contents seemed to shrink a bit during the cooking process so next time we do it I will probably make sure to fill the jars just a little more.

From here on it's just standard canning, boiled the lids, then tighten them on the jars with the rings. We pressure cooked them for 90 minutes at 10 psi. They all sealed fine. I didn't expect the meat to look 'good' when they were done, and I wasn't surprised by the way they turned out. It's just my opinion, I'm sure the flavor will be great, it's just that in this state it doesn't have a real appealing look. You can check the pics and see what you think (hopefully I posted them right!) We will probably wait about a month before we open one up for supper, I can't wait to see how it turns out.

2012-02-18_17-42-14_897.jpg
    2012-02-18_17-42-31_7.jpg
    2012-02-18_12-36-20_835.jpg
    2012-02-18_12-30-55_919.jpg

back in the day....Grandfather and grandmother would quickly jar-up out of season deer...then throw them in the back yard just before a snowfall, our job was to find-em back and rackum the in the root cellar...garlic and salt pork chunks - 1/2 the salt called for in the bluebook ,with the pork...err to the side of over salt, meats low acid, making the salt content critical...this is the makings of a great stew or stroginoff, breakfast/hash...but you cook'd it 90 min, and thats what you get... I once stuff'd a big fatty pork roast with a pint jar of muley heavy laced with uncooked hardwood bacon...served it up w/big red potatoes and acorn squash...I'd eat more venison, like Granpa, but I have to maintaine my amateur standing...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links