Anyone ever turned down for military service due to medical problems?

This is a discussion on Anyone ever turned down for military service due to medical problems? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; When I was 18 I was turned down for entry to the marines for genral entry for my epilepsy. I had dreamed my whole life ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Anyone ever turned down for military service due to medical problems?

When I was 18 I was turned down for entry to the marines for genral entry for my epilepsy. I had dreamed my whole life of being a marine. After completing college I tried again by applying for OCS, again turned down. Again I was very very mad, especially at their response at why I couldnt enter. I have strong feelings about women serving in the military, I wanted to state my feelings but self control got the better of me. I feel that this is a very strong case of discrimation. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever gone through this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    the air force had me slated for OCS. i was gonna fly in Nam.

pesky problem surfaced---my depth perception did not meet their standards
    and i was given options....the one--leave, is the one we agreed on.

---------
    reality sometimes has us to not be able to fulfill our desires. maturity is to accept it and modify your desire
    or, if you feel there were mistakes made concerning you--do something about it.

but be honest with yourself as to why you are choosing to fight vs change.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Not turned down, but had to choose a different MOS because of "slight blue/green color blindness"

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you, but I'm sure their argument would be something about you having an epileptic seizure at a time when it could cost lives.

Not saying it's right or wrong, just how it is.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

for the sake of argument, you're mad that you can't serve because you have epilepsy? How is that discrimination? It's a serious medical condition.

The women in the military thing will probably get this thread closed if it goes much further.
    Last edited by JD; February 15th, 2012 at 04:39 PM.

well I was highly offended by a medicine issue brought up by the recruiter, I wanted to serve my country and not be looked upon by other people as a coward which I have been in several situations. I think that the ADA would protect me in these situations and let me serve. BTW cold shot, loving the guitar photo, as one stevie ray fan to another, rock on!

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hogfan83 View Post
    well I was highly offended by a medicine issue brought up by the recruiter, I wanted to serve my country and not be looked upon by other people as a coward which I have been in several situations. I think that the ADA would protect me in these situations and let me serve. BTW cold shot, loving the guitar photo, as one stevie ray fan to another, rock on!
    I am sorry, but the first concern for the military should be the lives and safety of soldiers. The Americans with Disabililty Act (ADA) should have nothing to do with it. I am sorry that you were not allowed to serve. My guitar teacher was turned down for WWII due to hayfever (allergies). He played minor league baseball and refined his guitar playing instead. My grandfather lost his right arm in the Phillipines in WWII and got sent home. He wanted to stay with his fellow seabees, but he was no longer qualified. He came home a started a family and worked in an auto parts store. At some point you have to learn to play the cards you've got.

Life ain't fair deal with it,there are reasons certain conditions are disqualifiers.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I was recruited by the air force and went for physical testing. I wanted to fly the fast stuff, but we learned I had a slight Blue / green recognition issue. They offered helicopters, but this was 1973 and we had spent years watching them get shot down on the evening news. I said no. My son was rejected by the Navy (he had stated he wanted to be a Seal) due to a report in his medical records (when he was wrestling in 8th grade) that he had mild asthma.

Senior Moderator
    I was discharged from Marine Corps DEP two years ago because of bad knees. I made it past medical screening, was in the DEP for four months and two months away from my ship date to Parris Island when they discharged me. I was so close I could taste it and it hurt BAD to have the SSgt tell me I was out.

I'm still not totally over it but I get it. The Marine Corps (and other branches) has better things to do than baby someone with shoddy knees or someone who might have a seizure at any given moment. You should respect that.

If allowed in your epilepsy could further endanger lives that are already in danger. Not worth the risk.. nor should it be.

We just have to get over it and come to the realization that sometimes the pop songs aren't right and no amount of dreaming and wanting and planning and hoping can get you what you really want. The reality is that sometimes, some people just cannot have their dream.

You have no "right" to serve in the military. They have every right to tell you that you are not fit for their service.

Welcome to life.

VIP Member
    Your medical condition could result in a seizure in a combat situation. You could be killed due to this, but worse than that, you could get your mates killed trying to help you from a foreseeable condition. Is the death of your team-mates something you would be willing to be responsible for?
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I served in the Corps a long time,as 0311 then 0321,I can tell you that the USMC does have certain things that they will let slide,but epilepsy is not one of them,sorry,but we can't have people seizing when their needed most,even if you were to get in your firstseizure would result in a Medical,and you would get a free ride home.
    SIGguy229 likes this.

Flat Feet back in 1971

I was told I could forget my MOS and either sit behind a desk for the rest of my enlistment or get out.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

oh well, for anyone thats never had epilepsy, especially a severe case, easier said than done. You dont just "get over things."

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    You need to learn to accept it. When my grandfather came back form WWII with only one arm, he learned to do a lot things differently. Two things he could not do, were tie his shoes and and cut up his own steak dinner. He bought slip-ons for the rest of his life and asked for help with his steak. That didn't stop him from building a cinder block workshop all by himself or from making wooden toys for under privileged kids at Christmas. There are a lot of things you still can do, don't get hung up on one that you can't!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links