Frustrating

Frustrating

This is a discussion on Frustrating within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So the wife was admitted to the hospital on Monday via the ER due to her asthma. She had her SP101 on her, and I ...

Thread: Frustrating

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Frustrating

So the wife was admitted to the hospital on Monday via the ER due to her asthma. She had her SP101 on her, and I was on my way to work and couldn't bring it with me (Nuclear Power plant - can't even have it in the vehicle). So she signs it over to security and they wanted a copy of her permit (didn't like that). She gets discharged today and to get it back I had to bring proof of ownership and my permit (I'm the registered owner). They took copies of both as well.

I don't like the fact that they kept copies of everything, why would they need them?
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

VIP Member
    I would ask for written proof what authorization they have to keep a record.
    Ask them what state law authorizes them to do this.
    I would contact the SP and ask them this question.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Senior Moderator
    Nuclear Power huh?
    We got more guns in our Nuclear parking lot than all of the gunshops in town combined.
    Lot of difference between Arkansas and Ct.

Sounds like Hospital Policy with no legal right to do so.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Probably just a CYA measure, Mike.

Just curious, since I used to work in the biz (CE, in Windsor) - you at Unit 2 or 3?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Ask them for a copy of their records retention policy.
    Nevada CFP
    Utah CFP

They probably only want something to cover their butts if your wife shows up later and says where's my gun.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I am at Unit 3.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

Things can get frustrating when your life takes those moments of emergencies. That in mind, be thankful that first, they did not call the law and turn it over to them for keeping. Some hospitals do. Second, remember, they are covering their rears by establishing a paper trail of what they took, from whom, their (the patients) authorization to have the gun in the first place, and then showing that the correct owner was the one who claimed it.

Be thankful the hospital has a policy in place that covers most of the what if's and you got your wife seen with minimum hassle. You have your firearm back without dealing with a trip to the local law enforcement facility and the wife is on the mend.

Hassle? Yup, but a small hassle vs what other places go through.

I am not frustrated with the process we had to go through to turn over the weapon, that was fine. It would have been nice if the officer who took custody of it told us that we had to bring proof of ownership to get it back, but not a big deal, just required another trip back home to get it.

What I am frustrated with is the hospital security department keeping copies of both of our permits, and the 4473. I can understand showing the permits and proof of ownership, but keeping the copies irks me. As for proof that we got it back, the weapon was placed in an evidence bag when turned over, and my wife had to sign the bag. When I retrieved it, I had to sign the evidence bag to document the transfer back. So with the bag, they have all the proof that they need that we got the weapon back.

When I get back home from this trip I am going to make an appointment to speak with the Director of Security to discuss the matter.

- Thomas Jefferson

I am not familiar with your state laws, however in the state I reside in, this is illegal.

Previous posters are correct in that it is a liability issue. They must keep records of items they take to hold and to return. Why copies of the permits I don't know for certain. If a patient were to come back and sue because they claimed items were not returned, they have a paper trail to back themselves up. In the hospital I used to work at, it was recognized that we may not know the entire situation of what caused the medical issue. It is also impossible to cherry pick which patients have weapons easily returned versus those that may have weapons that were somehow related to their medical condition due to illegal activity.

The hospital also understood that sometimes returning weapons that were inappropriate, but they could not keep them all, but again can't cherry pick which to return and which not to return (believe it or not there are some legal issues, especially if the security is considered a branch of law enforcement). I suspect that the record keeping they have elected to use is to cover their liability. It is fully to cover their backsides. My hospital was sues (and we lost) because the doctors discharged a person who was placed on pain mess. He drove (after he and his wife were told he could not drive) and immediately hit and killed a teenage girl. The hospital was liabel because due diligence was not taken to prevent him from driving.
    Last edited by DMan; February 17th, 2012 at 08:54 AM.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Well now see this causes problems for folks like me. My current EDC is a private sale firearm. There is no proof of ownership. So what happens if they were to scoop me up from an accident scene and I was out of it? Are they going to confiscate my firearm and then refuse to turn over my property to me upon my release?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Sponsored Links