Guns on TV

This is a discussion on Guns on TV within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I think we all realize that it is fictionalized entertainment. It is fun to realize how fake it is and part of the fun is ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Guns on TV

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

Guns on TV

I think we all realize that it is fictionalized entertainment. It is fun to realize how fake it is and part of the fun is that some of the effects are so terribly bogus but unless you have actual experience with guns you won't notice it. When you do notice it, it is painful to watch.

I am reminded of the comic strip I saw once where the proverbial egg head, wearing a lab coat and coke bottle glasses, stands up in a theater in the middle of a movie and shouts, "things don't go BOOM in space!"

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

But you know I never questioned Roy Rogers 18 shot revolver, or Elmer Fudd's double barrel pump shotgun, or the fact that Matt Dillon got shot in the left shoulder over 20 times. It is fun to watch and sometimes I pick on the actors and directors, but sometimes showing something on TV is good for us GG's. Holding a Glock sidways and not using the sights. If the truth be known there have more than likely been many LEO's shot at and missed cause fitycent don't know what the dots and white lines on top of a gun are for.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Chicken or egg question.

Did the gangster types learn to hold a handgun sideways when firing it from watching TV and movies or did the movies get it from the gangsters?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    fic·tion

a. An imaginative creation or a pretense that does not represent actuality but has been invented.
    b. The act of inventing such a creation or pretense.
    a. A literary work whose content is produced by the imagination and is not necessarily based on fact.

I guess all the action scenes in Star Wars need to be redone. I am not disagreeing about influence. But again, it is for entertainment. What do ya want, all the medical shows to be 100 percent accurate, crime shows and how they do investigations? I like to sit back and have fun. But if it bugs ya that is cool. I suggest switching to PBS.
    Fair enough where most of these criticisms are concerned. However, to me, it would be more entertaining/less distracting if characters who are supposed to be very familiar with guns acted like it.

The problem for some of us is we consider entertainment as recreation; in other words, we want to watch something and feel "re-created" or recharged. But for most creators of entertainment the purpose is "amusement." Amusement is the prefix "a" in front of "muse" and describes a condition of "being without inspiration or thought." In other words, uninspired. A little more thought and attention to detail would not hurt the creators of fiction, be it in print or on film. One does not have to be didactic. One only needs to be realistic. People learn from fiction because of suspension of belief. In other words, you relax, let down your mental guards and filters and allow the information to come into your subconscious. You may not know you are being instructed -- often falsely so -- but you are and it has an accumulative effect. So, as much as I love old western television series like Rawhide and Gunsmoke, I wince looking at saddles designed for 1950s-era calf ropers and bulldoggers on horses of the same era (in comformation) when it would not have been that difficult to put period tack on period horses. The rifles and pistols, as all of you know better than I, are even worse. I know a little about fiction having had five novels published (working on my sixth) and half a dozen short stories, but my respect for the readers has always demanded I be realistic where realism is called for.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Well, you just ruined King of the Hill for me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links