Animal rights loonies using a "drone" to spy

This is a discussion on Animal rights loonies using a "drone" to spy within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Animal rights group says drone shot down A remote-controlled aircraft owned by an animal rights group was reportedly shot down near Broxton Bridge Plantation Sunday. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Animal rights loonies using a "drone" to spy

Animal rights loonies using a "drone" to spy

Animal rights group says drone shot down

A remote-controlled aircraft owned by an animal rights group was reportedly shot down near Broxton Bridge Plantation Sunday.

Steve Hindi, president of SHARK (SHowing Animals Respect and Kindness), said his group was preparing to launch its Mikrokopter drone to video what he called a live pigeon shoot on Sunday when law enforcement officers and an attorney claiming to represent the privately-owned plantation near Ehrhardt tried to stop the aircraft from flying.
    Well, the video shows their pricey little toy being launched (more than just 'preparing' to launch) and flying, then there is a sound of what might be gun shots, and some voices talking about "shooting at it," then the chopper lands noisily off camera. Nothing in the video to suggest it wasn't a doctored video.

After reading the story and watching the video, my thoughts congealed on just one word: PULL!

Kind of an annoying precedent, though. What’s next – using these toys to scare deer away from hunting areas during deer season? Chasing pheasants out of the corn fields?

I’m loathe to suggest “there oughtta be a law” against remote spying, but I think the appropriate countermeasures were applied. Actually, I’m thinking that guys who have the bucks to put on a live pigeon shoot could probably afford a whole air force of UAVs/RPVs. They wouldn’t even have to be armed, although the thought of miniature Sidewinder air-to-air missiles gets my imagination kicked into high gear. A couple of good-sized fixed-wing RC planes trailing long ribbons to foul the camera-toting chopper’s rotors would be all that’s needed.
    gunthorp, RETSUPT99 and JDE101 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

2. Remove Ads

After reading the story and watching the video, my thoughts congealed on just one word: PULL!

Sounds like a very potentially lucrative "underground" business in the making. Rather than having to spook the game by trying to wing-shoot an RC model, it wouldn't be difficult to rig a 100watt "RF jammer" since most of the relatively sophisticated RC controllers run on only a couple of FCC radio bands at relatively low power. The device would be easy to rig by any of our ARRL friends (albiet illegal), but just switching it on for a couple of minutes in the field would be virtually impossible to track by the feds - and it would be followed by the sound of numerous RC drones "buying the field" for a five mile or so radius
    gunthorp, msgt/ret and oneshot like this.

VIP Member
    "This was SHARK's first encounter with the Broxton Bridge Plantation, but it will certainly not be the last," Hindi said in the release. "We are already making plans for a considerably upscaled action in 2013."
    Multiple moving targets, pull, pull, pull, and pull.
    JDE101 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Administrator
    I've never been to a live drone shoot. Seems like it would fun.

I saw something about the use of drones for private use. Semi private in this case. Im right there with the OP. Send em my way I love moving target practice and that is somewhat challenging to replicate! Easy come, easy go.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

IMHO it was a setup,those guys shoot well enough that that hovering target would of been coming down in pieces,I also like the way the camera never follows it down to show any damage.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I can see a market for Remote Control Classic Fighter Planes armed with their own cameras to defend against these menacing helicopters.

I want my RC fighter plane to be a be a copy of the Red Baron's FOKKER DR I Tri-plane in full Flying Circus colors!

Can you see the news given live???

Yep, that FOKKER was chasing that helicopter, and then more FOKKERS joined it! Good lord but those FOKKERS were EVERYWHERE!!!!
    I know.... I hate myself too. Please Mr. Moderators.... I could have used Messerschmidt but it would not have been nearly as funny
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

...just one word: PULL!

Gotta' love it...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Kind of an annoying precedent, though. What’s next – using these toys to scare deer away from hunting areas during deer season? Chasing pheasants out of the corn fields? .

Not surprising. The worst zealots I have dealt with believe that they know what is better for everyone than anyone else and if you disagree it is because you are too stupid and gullible to know better. You must be "educated and guided". They believe that anything they do is acceptable because their cause is just. I would suggest that if they come to your area, to hunt deer with shotgun slugs, then its easy to switch to drone shot.

Not surprising. The worst zealots I have dealt with believe that they know what is better for everyone than anyone else and if you disagree it is because you are too stupid and gullible to know better. You must be "educated and guided". They believe that anything they do is acceptable because their cause is just.
    Hey, that sounds like some folks I know that own guns!
    Seriously, there are those types in every group. Funny thing is, I have no idea where everybody is meeting all these rabid anti's. I know 2, my parents. My definiton of rabid anti is one who feels no one should be allowed a gun. An anti is one that don't like them nor care for them but don't lecture you on your views on it. Other than that I know several who don't like guns but might joke about mine but really don't give a hoot and don't fuss about it.

So in the article it points out that it is dangerous to be, well here is his quote:

"It is important to note how dangerous this was, as they were shooting toward and into a well-travelled highway," Hindi stated in the release. He said someone from SHARK called the Colleton County Sheriff's Department, which took a report of the incident.

Nothing being said about flying the thing in the middle of a busy road being dangerous.

The sounds, “Gun Fire” as I hear them are first the sonic pop of a bullet arriving, and then the muzzle blast that follows.

Just another anti-hunting/gun group with normal wild accusations.

Not the type of gun that would be used in a live pigeon shoot.

How do these democrats afford such high-tech gadgetry with their unemployment checks???

Are these a series of posts suggesting that it's advisable to shoot other people's property if it's annoying you?
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I've never been to a live drone shoot. Seems like it would fun.
    "Gnat" shooting -RC Planes and Shotguns!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links