*sigh* Unarmed in high crime area

This is a discussion on *sigh* Unarmed in high crime area within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I started taking some night classes at a college. I haven't found any colleges that are gun friendly. I need to take classes, but can ...

Thread: *sigh* Unarmed in high crime area

*sigh* Unarmed in high crime area

I started taking some night classes at a college. I haven't found any colleges that are gun friendly. I need to take classes, but can not afford to be kicked out for having a firearm. It isn't against the law here, just school policy - not even locked in your car. This wouldn't be such a big deal if the college was not in a high crime area. I'm just frustrated, and I wasn't sure where to post this. Anyone else have similar problems?
    Two of my favorite responses:
    "What is it about gun control laws that makes you feel safe?"
    "For the same reason I always wear my seatbelt."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    In KS, it is illegal to carry on a college campus.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

ERAU-Prescott

I'm a college student and have attended 3 colleges in the past, including my current. I can honestly say I've never been to a school where one was allowed to carry. Not even visited one that was pro-2A.

The situation here is interesting. You have a bunch of kids from California, some who have never seen a gun before, and they come to northern Arizona. They begin stockpiling and shoot more than most people I know who are local. I can recall a lot of "Hey! *******!" incidents with negligent discharges, but never with anyone ever trying to shoot anyone purposefully. I feel pretty safe, but then again our paper did a poll last year - of the ~100 students surveyed.... just over 50% admitted to keeping a gun on campus. Considering about 1/3 of the school doesn't even live on campus: that's a lot of guns on campus!!! Go Embry-Riddle!!!

But I digress - of the people I know who have been busted for having guns, its been only a slap on the wrist and a "don't do that again." Hell, one student accidentally fired his roommates 5" 44 Magnum in the dorms, nearly hitting two students. The owner and shooter were both suspended. For a semester.

Run the risk if you like. I would say it all depends on the location and where you live. I don't open carry around campus cuz I'm not retarted, but I have a small lockbox hidden in my car.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I suggest you go to your dean's/registrar's office and get a copy of the procedures regarding discipline - what the college can and can't do once you deviate from the rules and you get caught. Don't tell them you plan on bringing a weapon on campus or they will freak out; if they ask what is the reason for your request, tell them is for a research proyect. Maybe your first "offense", so to speak, is punishable by a probationary status rather than a suspension/expulsion. What the college prints out on "hand outs" is not usually what they can do on their official rules, and how many students read the rules anyways to appeal the disciplining body’s decision? - very few.

I would be more concerned with state law. Definitely don’t carry if its against the law, since you can go to jail/loose privileges/etc. If its ok with state law, don’t tell absolutely no one (even your significant other, if you have one – in case you break up and he/she wants to use the matter as a revenge tool) and keep it concealed unless it is a life/death event – if it comes to that, do you rather live and get expelled from college or die in campus?

Not giving legal advice, just my view on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    I suggest you go to your dean's/registrar's office and get a copy of the procedures regarding discipline - what the college can and can't do once you deviate from the rules and you get caught. Don't tell them you plan on bringing a weapon on campus or they will freak out; if they ask what is the reason for your request, tell them is for a research proyect. Maybe your first "offense", so to speak, is punishable by a probationary status rather than a suspension/expulsion. What the college prints out on "hand outs" is not usually what they can do on their official rules, and how many students read the rules anyways to appeal the disciplining body’s decision? - very few.

I would be more concerned with state law. Definitely don’t carry if its against the law, since you can go to jail/loose privileges/etc. If its ok with state law, don’t tell absolutely no one (even your significant other, if you have one – in case you break up and he/she wants to use the matter as a revenge tool) and keep it concealed unless it is a life/death event – if it comes to that, do you rather live and get expelled from college or die in campus?

Not giving legal advice, just my view on the subject.
    +1 here, very well written.

I work at a University and am in the same situation. I'd still rather be safe than not.

Most college campuses are gun free zones. The community college where I taught before retiring did not do any car checks and therefore, by default, allowed students and faculty to have their weapons in their cars. I never had any problems with that defacto permit but would never have answered in the affirmative when asked if I had a piece in my car. I am, in no way saying that this is a good idea for one and all to follow since the campus police and state laws may be different in your area. You should, by all means, follow the established protocol.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Homer,

The way that you put it, you may have the same protections that they have in Oregon.

Basically, they can't do anything about you carrying. Check your states grass roots and ask them if colleges have the "right" to make their own laws or if only the state legislature can make the laws.

If only the legislature then the college can whine, gripe, etcc but they can't do anything about you carrying legally.

Already been challenged in Oregon, colleges changed the 'no weapons allowed' to 'please don't carry but we can't do anything about it if you do'.

I work at a university in Florida.

You can't carry a pistol...but a bow & arrow...

You can't carry OC....but spray mouth freshener....

You CAN carry a "stun gun"

So basically, if the threat is at 10ft or even 2 ft, you are defenseless (other than the "attitude")

But when the BG has his hands on you, you can zap 'em
    Armed & Dangerous...and Inconspicuous...

Being unable to carry a firearm does not make you defenseless, it just makes defending yourself a bit more difficult. Like Steinbeck said "... The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I'll have to check into the grass roots. For now I'll be investing in a larger size OC. If they have a problem with that then tuff stuff for them.

On a side note, here is part of the policy- ...possession of firearms, explosives or dangerous chemicals, or other items commonly used primarily for the purpose of inflicting harm on human beings...
    how's that for liberal spin?

I use my firearms for hunting, clay shooting, target shooting and lastly, though I hope and pray I'll never need to, defensive purposes.
    Last edited by homersimpson; August 29th, 2006 at 03:54 AM. Reason: clarity
    Two of my favorite responses:
    "What is it about gun control laws that makes you feel safe?"
    "For the same reason I always wear my seatbelt."

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by homersimpson View Post
    Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I'll have to check into the grass roots. For now I'll be investing in a larger size OC. If they have a problem with that then tuff stuff for them.

On a side note, here is part of the policy- ...possession of firearms, explosives or dangerous chemicals, or other items commonly used primarily for the purpose of inflicting harm on human beings...
    how's that for liberal spin?

I use my firearms for hunting, clay shooting, target shooting and lastly, though I hope and pray I'll never need to, defensive purposes.
    Then an over and under shotgun, lever action rifle, 454 Casull or a fire axe would be ok per the policy because they aren't commonly used primarily used for the purpose of inflicting harm on human beings, while OC and Tasers would not be ok per the policy? Weird.

But definitely contact the state Attorney General's office for the exact law in your state.

Links