Pocket Watches?

This is a discussion on Pocket Watches? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Anybody know someone who collects pocket watches? A cousin asked today. It appears that his wife has inherited some that her father collected over the ...

Thread: Pocket Watches?

VIP Member

Pocket Watches?

Anybody know someone who collects pocket watches? A cousin asked today. It appears that his wife has inherited some that her father collected over the past 20 years or more. If you or someone you know is interested send me a PM with your name and number. I'll pass it on.

My cousin has no computer. In fact as far as he knows he has never used one. So I'll pass the word on and his wife can contact you.

Thanks.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Shucks George - my first ever watch when I was in early days at school was a pocket watch - geez that takes me back! Remember getting my first wrist watch!

I have seen some fine examples of good ones over the years - top grade Hunters etc - many very lovely examples of the watch-maker's art.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Chris, I have had one person already to ask for photos and descriptions. On Monday I'll see what I can do about that. His wife will be pleased. She had talked about eBay, but was concerned since she really didn't know what she had or what they were worth. Our folks will treat her much nicer than would many on eBay.

I told him if no one on CC collected I would wager they some knew someone who did collect. I expect that she would be especially pleased that someone who really appreciates them gets them rather than someone just looking to turn them for a few more dollars.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

My friend is a watch nut. I often see him with a magazine devoted to watches, I don't know the name, but he gets his in Barnes and Noble. I would think any good book store would have them. There probably is a ton of valuable info available in the magazine to assist on this issue.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Tell your cousins wife that as an inherited item, she'll regret ever selling them....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Lead Moderator
    I have a friend that is knowledgeable about pocket watches especially those the the late 1700's and early 1800's. If he's not running around the country someplace I could ask him for suggestions on places to get information if you'd like.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    I have a friend that is knowledgeable about pocket watches especially those the the late 1700's and early 1800's. If he's not running around the country someplace I could ask him for suggestions on places to get information if you'd like.
    Thanks, Rick. If you get the info I'll pass it on. As soon as I can get a few contacts I'll pull myself back out of the way and let the experts and the person with the watches connect directly.

dimmak, I agree with you. There is a little bit more to the story. She did not just inherit them, she has had them for a while. No one else in the family will take them and she is not physically able to clean them etc.

About 8 years ago she developed a disease that still does not have a name as far as I know. She had gone far down hill physically. About 5 years ago it got so bad that my cousin sold his business and took a part-time job with the state conservation department to stay home a lot more and take care of her. For about 2.5 years he did that and during that time the doctors found some drugs that helped her to improve physically, but not fully recover. She was about back to being able to care for herself with only minor help and the person who had bought the business was not doing well with it and offered to just abandon it back to my cousin. He was overjoyed because he really loved running the business, so for the past 2+ years he has been back at that.

The wife is not able to do much cleaning and the displays are really just in the way because of her limited mobility. She has decided that as much as she likes them and as much sentimental value they have she needs to let them go. If she had a family member who was interested she would give them to that member. Her brother is the only sibling and he doesn't care about them. If he got them he would sell them quickly and would drink up the money in a week. Her children don't want them, so she had decided to sell them and wants to sell them to someone who would keep them as part of a collection.
    George

Lead Moderator
    George, I sent an email to my friend. If he's not off on travel I should have something for you in a couple days.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    If someone goes for the "buy one, get one free" deal .. I'll gladly take the free one

"We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Depends on what makes and models. Older Gruens, Elgins, Hamiltons, etc.. are worth some big bucks, especially the Hamiltons.

Also, look for engravings and if any railroad names appear on the casings. If you're not to intimidated, remove the watch from the casing and jot down the numbers and information.

Also, make sure they are jeweled and not quarz or battery operated. If quarz (and it depends on the type of quarz. Some will run the same way that jeweled watches run) or battery operated than they aren't worth all that much.

His best bet is to take them to a jeweler to be apprised. Out of my older (wrist) watches, the three that are the most valuable are the Gruen, the Lord Elgin (jitterbug), and the Boliva. All are jeweled, wind up, and the Lord Elgin is 14K gold filled.

Me personally, I would get a display case and display them

VIP Member
    Thanks for all the replies. rstickle's friend provided some good info and also reminded me that I know someone who collects clocks. Between my friend who collects clocks and Rick's friend I was able to provide two very good contacts.

Now the good news. She had decided not to sell. She is going to contact the two people I told her about and ask them to help her find someone who will give her a knowledgable and honest appraisal. She will then insure the collection and put it on display at her home.

Several of you voiced the opinion that she would later regret it if she sold them and she was already having second thoughts when I spoke to her this morning. After finding out that she had some resources that could help her determine the value she made the to keep the collection, or at least most of it. She said that there are some duplicates and that she might sell those to pay for the insurance.

Good outcome all around, except for the ones of you who wanted to buy. Thanks again for the help and she said to be sure to thank the members here who helped her to find some help and those who encouraged her to keep the collection.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. rstickle's friend provided some good info and also reminded me that I know someone who collects clocks. Between my friend who collects clocks and Rick's friend I was able to provide two very good contacts.

Now the good news. She had decided not to sell. She is going to contact the two people I told her about and ask them to help her find someone who will give her a knowledgable and honest appraisal. She will then insure the collection and put it on display at her home.

Several of you voiced the opinion that she would later regret it if she sold them and she was already having second thoughts when I spoke to her this morning. After finding out that she had some resources that could help her determine the value she made the to keep the collection, or at least most of it. She said that there are some duplicates and that she might sell those to pay for the insurance.

Good outcome all around, except for the ones of you who wanted to buy. Thanks again for the help and she said to be sure to thank the members here who helped her to find some help and those who encouraged her to keep the collection.
    It is always best to keep family heirlooms in the family, which brings me to the time 35 years ago my dad chose to sell his dadís gold pocket watch, I tried very hard and in vain to talk him into selling it to me for what ever value was placed on it, it was a nice watch too.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Links