So the wife wakes me up at 0300: I hear voices outside! (rural highway)

This is a discussion on So the wife wakes me up at 0300: I hear voices outside! (rural highway) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So the wife wakes me up at 0300: I hear voices outside! There's a car out there. I think they've been in an accident! Me: ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By barstoolguru
  • 3 Post By CowboyColby
  • 1 Post By NC Bullseye

Thread: So the wife wakes me up at 0300: I hear voices outside! (rural highway)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

So the wife wakes me up at 0300: I hear voices outside! (rural highway)

So the wife wakes me up at 0300: I hear voices outside! There's a car out there. I think they've been in an accident!

Me: Mmmffft?!?

Wife: WAKE UP! There's been an accident... or something. There's people out there. They might need help.

Me: Ummm...

Wife: If you don't go out there, I will!

Me: OK, OK... grrr...

(Wife just had abdominal laparascopic surgery Tuesday, and I know she's serious about going outside)

So I follow her to the front door and we step outside. Across the street and down about 100 yards is a car with dim tail lights.

Wife: Ask them if they are OK.

Me: (Peering through the darkness)

Wife: ASK THEM IF THEY ARE OK!

Me: YOU OK?

Stranger: Do you have jumper cables?

Me: Hold on.

So I go back in, throw on a jacket, toss the snubbie in a pocket, then back out and get the guy and his female coworker jumped and back on their way. He said his car overheated and they had been out there about an hour.

Before and after had a few (more) words with the wife about opening the door, helping strangers, etc. Unfazed.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

The women folk wanna help and see nothing wrong/no danger in it. The men folk are leary of danger. Never Changes......Its the way our brains are wired!
    Please...work HARDER as MILLIONS on welfare depending on YOU !!

sgb
    Good on you.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I've had this happen a bunch when I lived out in the country...I had a drunk stumble on to my porch and demand I give him a jack to fix his flat tire, I asked him where he was and he pointed and said about a mile up the road, I asked him why he walked a mile to my place when the area he claimed where his truck was is where alot more people live, he said I was the only one witha light on (the lights where out) I told him he was too drunk to be jacking a car and that the cops would be driving his way soon anyway...he got pretty irrate with me, I had my G21 on my side so I made sure he saw it...he quickly left after that.

Personally, at 3:00 A.M. I would have had the "wife" call the cops on a non emergency to check it out.

Wife: If you don't go out there, I will!
    Flame me all you want but I have to say something here. NO, NO, NO... grow some @@ bro! My woman will not, does not open the door for any one at night and or gives me an ultimatum "if you don't go, I will". if someone wants to risk their own life then do so but don't involve me. we live in a country for 25.00 a year you can get AAA and they show up and do things like this.... GL
    mr.stuart likes this.

Ha, my wife is not that friendly to strangers.

She's a disabled ex-paramedic who was thrown down a flight of stairs by a mental patient. Her days of helping random strangers are over. She would have rolled over and went back to sleep.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    "Had a drunk banging on my door begging for a push. I say no and go back to bed. The drunk keeps banging on the door, please sir can I get a push. Finally the wife has had enough of the banging and tells me to give the poor man a push. I throw on the coat and walk outside not seeing a vehicle anywhere or the drunk. I walked around the house and he is sitting on my kids swing on the swing set and asks for a push"

l1a1, JoJoGunn and bspoon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    " I walked around the house and he is sitting on my kids swing on the swing set and asks for a push"

That's an oldy but a goody.

And wait....the guy needed jumper cables cuz his car overheated???
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    "Had a drunk banging on my door begging for a push. I say no and go back to bed. The drunk keeps banging on the door, please sir can I get a push. Finally the wife has had enough of the banging and tells me to give the poor man a push. I throw on the coat and walk outside not seeing a vehicle anywhere or the drunk. I walked around the house and he is sitting on my kids swing on the swing set and asks for a push"

I would have found a nice deep well
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Okemo View Post
    That's an oldy but a goody.
    And wait....the guy needed jumper cables cuz his car overheated???
    If so it's time for a head gasket or two ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    His battery dies while he sat for an hour waiting for the car to cool off, I guess. The lights were very dim until I hooked up the cables.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I'm sorry, but this story made me laugh… sounds like my wife.
    God made man……Sam Colt made them equal.

Beretta PX4 Carrier
    Fourth Gen Glock 26 Carrier

At least you could prepare for evil when you went outside. You can NOT prepare enough for an irritated wife when you have to sleep sometime.
    WHEC724 likes this.

VIP Member
    That sounds like something that my wife would make me do, Paramedic.

You kept her happy, kept yourself protected and helped somebody out. Sometimes, it's the best we can do.

Links