"911? I just blew a hole in my wall!" - Page 3

"911? I just blew a hole in my wall!"

This is a discussion on "911? I just blew a hole in my wall!" within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My buddy mistaked his G30 trigger for the button on his alarm clock. Instead of calling the police he patched the dry wall...no stupid tax ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: "911? I just blew a hole in my wall!"

My buddy mistaked his G30 trigger for the button on his alarm clock. Instead of calling the police he patched the dry wall...no stupid tax for him other than the 3 minutes of labor it took to fix his wall.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I gotta wonder what that clock looks like. Never seen a snooze button that looked like a bang switch.
    phreddy likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TravisABQ View Post
    NDs happen.....

Calling the cops if you don't need to is stupid.
    The key here is "if you don't need to." Some cities require reports of a firearm discharge, though how they can square that with the right against self incrimination is a bit hard to see; unless they just take the report and an apology and let it go at that.

It actually makes sense to report if you are in a city; it could save the police a needless response to a call about gun shots.

There is something in the back of my mind that we CHL holders are supposed to self-report "accidental shots" that go across a highway. Maybe my recollection is faulty or I'm confusing CHL and hunting regs.

Again, seems stupid, and self-incriminatory, but makes a certain amount of sense.

If I had a ND in my home and no harm was done, I think I would just MYOB; but probably shouldn't post that because I can almost guarantee there is something on the book in City Hall requiring the report. Life is full of gotchyas.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I can shoot outside, inside, as long as the bullet remains on my property. I am outside the city limits.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Thats like calling the Highway Patrol and telling them you were speeding on the way home from work, and oh yea I ran a stop sign last Tuesday.
    If the cops show up knocking on the door saying "we had a report of a gunshot" then, fess up, yea I had an ND.
    Otherwise I go by the old saying "never kick a snake when you can step over him"
    Just my 2 cent opinion.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I wish god would sort these idiots out.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I call that a stupid tax. If you are stupid enough to report it, you should pay a tax for your stupidity.
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Quote from article: and he was looking at the weapon after loading it and the gun fired.

That is priceless!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I was never very good at ratting on myself. 'Call it a personality defect, but it's kept me out of trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    I just glance at guns. Whenever I give my Bride "the look" she goes off on me.

^^^^^^TOO FUNNY!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Guy obviously is very honest, at least hes got that going for him,
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    Oh come on guys, don't be so harsh. It just "went off." Clearly not his fault!
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

QUOTE - I've done it twice, bench in garage, momentary distraction (wife). AD's happen. Ask any gun smith.
    Brick home no through and through, spackle works just fine. If you play with guns long enough, this is going to happen, check for exterior damage, fix the interior, keep your hand off the trigger and the phone.

Lucas45 - I'm sure others echo my sentiments. I don't play with guns. I own and use guns for recreation, protection and the like but I don't play with them. If you are experiencing multiple negligent discharges, slow down and find out where the problem is. Don't write it off as, "Oh well. It happens." The results can be disastrous. Any coroner can tell you about negligent discharges as well.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by l1a1 View Post
    QUOTE - I've done it twice, bench in garage, momentary distraction (wife). AD's happen. Ask any gun smith.
    Brick home no through and through, spackle works just fine. If you play with guns long enough, this is going to happen, check for exterior damage, fix the interior, keep your hand off the trigger and the phone.

Lucas45 - I'm sure others echo my sentiments. I don't play with guns. I own and use guns for recreation, protection and the like but I don't play with them. If you are experiencing multiple negligent discharges, slow down and find out where the problem is. Don't write it off as, "Oh well. It happens." The results can be disastrous. Any coroner can tell you about negligent discharges as well.
    I have never had one go off "accidentally" but I acknowledge that I am human, and humans make mistakes. I acknowledge that guns are mechanical, and mechanical devices fail.

We all need to do our very best to be extremely cautious, but I'm not going to hammer someone who has had an "accident," and I am in the camp that "accidents" happen. I'm not going to play the blame game.

One thing I think gun manufacturers could do a much better job with would be to make it obvious that there is one in the pipe.

ND's accidents etc. seldom seem to happen with revolvers. With pistols it is almost always the forgotten one in the pipe.

I have a DA/SA pistol where it takes so very little movement of the slide to set the striker it could easily go from DA to cocked and SA just by being a bit heavy handed when holstering-- if the slide gets caught and pushed back half an inch in the process.

All of that said, I have repeatedly stated here that I don't believe in criminalizing ordinary things that go wrong. An ND or accidental discharge is just that; a stupid oops. It should not be a crime and shouldn't be treated as one, unless there is evidence of deliberate indifference to safety-- whatever that might mean in real terms.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I don't necessarily think an ND should be criminalized. My point with his statement was more directed to the tone of his post. To paraphrase, "I've had 2 negligent discharges. No one was hurt either time. It will continue to happen as long as I handle loaded firearms. No Big Deal."

I'm not throwing anybody under the bus for an accident. That to me is negligence and to maintain that it is an acceptable cost of doing business will likely result in a very unintended tragedy. And yes I am human also and I do make mistakes. I just don't want ANYONE finding out the awful, very real consequences of those little oopsies.

Lucas - I hope you don't take offense as to my reply. I meant none. Be safe. This hits kind of close to home as I recently had a friend who nearly bled out and died after having a negligent discharge that hit his upper leg. This is a deadly serious subject to me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links