Rear-ended and sore, am I just imagining?

This is a discussion on Rear-ended and sore, am I just imagining? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Yesterday morning as I was pulling out of my apartment complex parking lot to head to work I got rear-ended at low speed. I was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Rear-ended and sore, am I just imagining?

Yesterday morning as I was pulling out of my apartment complex parking lot to head to work I got rear-ended at low speed. I was waiting to pull out left onto the main road from the lot and scooted forward a few feet in anticipation of turning after a car passed. I stopped as another car pulled up over a hill and I needed to wait for them, and someone behind me wanting to turn right rear-ended me about a second after I stopped.

The damage to my Jeep appeared negligible (unsurprising considering I have an aftermarket rear bumper made of 1/4" steel). A couple scuffs in the bumper, bent tailpipe, poked a hole in my spare tire cover. Their car didn't far so well. Attached are pictures to give you an idea. Their car already had some blue duct tape on it (indicating to me the reason I was hit) but I think most of the damage was from when they hit me.

I didn't really feel anything at the time, but as today has worn on I'm starting to feel like an old man, groaning every time I get in and out of a chair. Am I just imagining it or could this little accident have actually done me some damage? I didn't get a police report as I wanted to get to work and figured it'd take a long time, but I did report it immediately to insurance.

JeepDamageRight1.jpg

SonataDamage1.jpg
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

could this little accident have actually done me some damage?
    The answer is yes. If there is question in your mind err on the side of safety and get yourself checked by the Doc.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

You need to call your insurance company ASAP and let them know you are in pain as a result of the accident. ALWAYS get a police report, even if the damage is minor. Unless they admit fault, this is your only proof that they were responsible.

You should probably go see your doctor at the very least. I, too, have been rear-ended and have gone through the post-accident aches and pains. In my case they went away in a few days, but you can never be sure when you deal with neck/whiplash occurrences. If you hear from the other party's insurance carrier, be very careful what you say. If you say you feel okay, just a little sore, you may have shut yourself out of any compensation if your pain turns out to be something serious. Please understand, I am not advocating making some big score, but the way insurance companies are, you must be sure they do not run over you.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Their insurance already called and asked about an adjustment. I told them nothing more than I'd be having someone from my insurance company do the adjustment and my people would get with their people.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Wise move. Let your ins or lawyer do the talking to them for you.

My dad was in an accident once. The other guy started claiming back trouble and wanted a bunch of money. The lawyer representing my dad did some investigating and somehow found out he had already reported to a Dr. that injured his back skiing a couple weeks prior and was being treated for it. Needless to say the claim against my dad was pretty much dropped, except for the car damage.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

"Whiplash" symptoms usually don't appear immediately - kind of like when you first start working out, the real pain is felt the next day. Also, since you were looking for oncoming traffic your head/neck were probably contorted a bit which would make injuring the muscles that much easier.
    Rock and Glock and Eagleks like this.

Monday is the earliest I could get a last-minute appointment, but I've got one scheduled. Needed to find a doc in the area anyway, haven't been to one since I moved here.
    My blog

I would go to the Dr asap. I would hate to see in 5 years a post about how a small fender bender 5 years ago threw something out and now you can't hardly get out of bed!

Soft tissue injuries can occur in collisions with delta Vs as low as 7 mph if I remember correctly, it is worse if your head/neck was turned (lower threshold). Those photos do not look like a 7mph delta V, they appear to be slightly lower because the plastic and soft parts on the car don't have much stiffness. If you have had prior injury you could be more susceptible, if you are relatively young and in good shape the soreness will be gone soon.

Ex Member
    DO NOT....DO NOT....DO NOT....Sign a release. I was rear ended once and my Doctor said it can take 4-6 months at times for whiplash/brain injury to show up.

Senior Moderator
    See a physician ASAP. Do not give the other guy's insurer a written or recorded statement. Sign nothing.

Talk to your insurance company, and consider consulting with an attorney.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

3 hours in primacare and a bottle of pain killers= 1200.00

Depending on your state laws, it may be a law that you have to report an accident over $X in property damage. It's that way in TX. I don't remember, but I think it is over $500, but it may have increased. If there are no injuries at the scene requiring transport, each person can get a accident report form and file their own report. Check your state laws and then proceed down the medical path with your ducks in a row.

I am so glad this thread referenced a traffic accident and not a short jail stay or time share purchase. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links