Act of Valor

Act of Valor

This is a discussion on Act of Valor within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Great movie, awesome simulated missions, sad ending. Go see it! Thanks to all the men and women of our armed forces for what you do....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Act of Valor

Act of Valor

Great movie, awesome simulated missions, sad ending. Go see it!

Thanks to all the men and women of our armed forces for what you do.
    rolyat63 likes this.

I saw it. There are no real spoilers in this thread, but I do discuss some broad topics. First off, I can neither confirm nor deny if the main characters were actually active SEALs. It was obviously advertised that way, but I talked to some of my Navy friends and they say there is no way that would happen. I could probably look this up, but I assume the internet is going to give it to me both ways, and I don't really care.

The most talking was done between the Lt and the Chief, and it was poorly acted, but I don't know if it was poor enough to be done by untrained actors. So that kind of seems realistic for the way the movie was advertised.

The action was obviously very good. The shooting and tactics seemed legit. I'm sure you can go through it with a fine-toothed comb and find some stuff that was hollywood-ized, but it seemed legit to me. It wasn't just an action movie, however. There were long sequences just to build the story, and the over-arching theme was sad and heartfelt. I took my girlfriend; she actually cried.

My favorite part about this movie is that they seemed to get the lingo right. All the talking on the radio was done right, acronyms were used correctly, people actually saluted correctly, etc. Movies always get saluting wrong, which is weird to me.

It was ok, overall. A real military movie meant to honor those who have given their lives in service since 9/11.
    Toorop likes this.

I'm going to see this in a couple hours, I'm hoping it's everything it's cracked up to be, the footage from the previews seems pretty spectacular. Even if the acting is poor I'm hoping the eye candy is good.

Ex Member
    I don't do movies but THAT I will see.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    My wife and I saw it this afternoon. She also cried at the ending. My last command before retiring was the USS Dallas (SSN 700). It was the first 688 retro-fitted to carry the Drydeck Shelter (that chamber you see on the back of the Trident class submarine in the movie). The Seals we worked with on the Dallas were some bad dudes, that's for sure. I always had a mind-set of big, dumb muscle-bound types. Not even close.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Saw it last night. Didn't seen Hollywood-ized, which is definitely a good thing. Action seemed accurate, comms traffic & acronyms were correct & correctly used. Tactics were pretty accurate, but I doubt they would show too much detail in that aspect (<- that is based on friends on the SOF community, I am not). I have no idea if the SEALs were really AD or not... But the acting was not great, which leads me to believe they may be. But then, if I were a SEAL or green beret, I dont think I'd want my face and name in a movie showing me as such. Plus, last time I checked, there were regulations in most branches about using your rank, position, status, etc while involved in non-military things... But SOF guys have all kinds of exceptions, and SOCOM may have signed off on it, so I go back and forth on that.

As a movie, it was great. I took my father-in-law (who has no experience with the military outside of me) and my brother-in-law, and my FIL said it gave him a good perspective on why I serve in the military, which was a good thing (he hasn't always been overly supportive). But I would say go see it, it's definitely worth the hour and a half and whatever ridiculous fee the theater may charge.

OpJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually don't do movies, but this is one I want to go see.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Tomorrow I'm going to stop by the bank and take out a loan, so I can take the family to see this movie.
    Last edited by varob; February 26th, 2012 at 01:27 PM.
    paching, l1a1 and Inspector71 like this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Tomorrow I'm going to stop by the bank and take out loan, so I can take the family to see this movie.
    umm...what?

Senior Moderator
    Yes, the SEALs were actual, AD Navy SEALs.. I watched a whole "make of" thing where they talked about it. They had to wait 2 years to finish filming because their "actors" kept being deployed. The makers wanted to get as close to the real thing as they could and were scouting for some SEALs to advise them and after sitting down with them and seeing them they decided to heck with trying to get guys who could ACT like SEALs, they wanted the real things... and sooooo.. you have Act of Valor.

I saw it last night.. by myself!!! and the boat scene literally had me giggling in ammo expended glee. GREAT scene.

My brother just texted me... he's works on those boats.. and said he loved it and that he would have been the one on the mini gun.

Great movie.. Yes, it was sad.. I cried. But it was very very good.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    My Wife & I saw "Act of Valor" this afternoon.

Although the critics did not seem to understand the movie, really... who care's what they think.

My Wife & I Loved it,very moving very exciting, very thought provoking & very well made.

Our daughter told me I had to see this movie. Our daughter is the manager of the combined " movie, restaurant, bar" (yes you can order dinner & drinks while watching the movie) she tells us men & women both leave the movie moved to tears.

As we left the movie I looked into the adjacent bar area & saw a group of maybe ten well groomed short haired very somber young men in there early 20's at the most. Very somber very serious very quiet. This had been more than "just a movie" to them.

This truly is a "must see".

After the movie I must agree with all the above positive comments. I'm reminded of a quote that I believe has been accredited to George Orwell, at least in some capacity- "We sleep peaceably in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf". I'm exceptionally grateful to the special forces community as well as all others that put on a uniform to defend the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic. I'm glad we have these boys out on the sharp end.

Overall, a spectacular display of badassery. The HALO jumps, as well as the boat scene were both particularly outstanding. Though it is readily apparent that they don't teach acting in BUDS.

The acting ability of the special forces community is a highly prized and well protected secret ability that they maintain. This movie was carefully screened not to shed too much light into that hidden world. :)

That being said...I thought it was a great movie. No one was there for the Oscar winning acting. The ending of the movie resulted in the quietest, most somber, totally packed theater that I have ever seen. Many thanks to all that have served and continue to do so.

Hopefully will get to see it today or tomorrow. Been waiting for it since the Superbowl trailer came out.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I agree with Lima, the boat scene with the swicc team was awesome!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links