Off to Kygrgyzstan........

This is a discussion on Off to Kygrgyzstan........ within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, I got a job offer...... overseas in Asia's third-world (as described to me, I've never heard of the place until 2010). I not at ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By OPFOR
  • 2 Post By l1a1

Thread: Off to Kygrgyzstan........

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA

Off to Kygrgyzstan........

Well, I got a job offer...... overseas in Asia's third-world (as described to me, I've never heard of the place until 2010).
    I not at all intrested in leaving my family or the U.S.A. behind, but it's a good job, especially in today's economy.

Too bad the Kygrygz Republic dosnt have reciprocity with Georgia's CWP...............

So, who's been there at all? I've done about as much internet investigating about the place as I can. Better yet, this is my first foryay into the world of civilian workforce since retiring from the Navy. Any advice from our civilian contractors out there? I'm doing Tech stuff..... not kicking in doors or anythin like that.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

2. Remove Ads

I've spent maybe a week or two of my life in Kygryzstan, it was on okay place on the base I was at (AF base). I do remember that it was rather cold most of the times I was there. Seem to recall they have a VBIED attack there once upon a time too.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    I spent a few days at Manas back in '04. Probably not much help to you considering how much everything has changed since then. My only advice is to go with the flow, and actually seek to enjoy all the things that will be different about living overseas. The folks who end up hating it are the ones who are constantly saying "oh, well, this isn't how it is back in Poughkeepsie!" Of course it isn't, it's Kyrgyzstan for crying out loud! :)

Stay safe, keep your head up, and focus on getting joy out of the new experience.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

No help from me, but it seems like a great opportunity to expand your horizons...it's an adventure. I'm assuming that it'll be tax-free cash, which is not too bad either.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Have a great time, and follow OPFOR's advice!
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

It'll be an adventure certinaly! I am looking forward to it, just the leaving the family behind isn't quite what I wanted to do after getting out of the service.

I'll be working at the Manas base in the Bishkek area. A new and exciting experience, stories to make, and cool stuff to send home to the family and grandkids!
    All I've really been told is to dress WARM! Checking the weather forcasts I've discovered that being from south Louisiana and residing in southern Georgia for the past decade has left me ill prepared for temp's that won't get above freezing until April........ It ain't taxfree but hopefully I can put enough pennies in my coffee can to get that custom .45 and .308 I've been coveting for so long!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

Administrator
    Be sure to sit back, relax and enjoy a nice refreshing ice cold bowl of fermented mildly alcoholic mares milk. Yum Yum

Hey. Seriously Stay Safe & enjoy your adventure.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    I had to look it up on a map.

'Safe travels and keep us posted.

Ever been to Somalia? Well, this is an upgrade. Just kidding. Ain't so bad. You there for 6 months or a year?

Be sure to take some extra vowels. The country name looks to be short a couple.
    WHEC724 and QKShooter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    It'll be an adventure certinaly! I am looking forward to it, just the leaving the family behind isn't quite what I wanted to do after getting out of the service.

I'll be working at the Manas base in the Bishkek area. A new and exciting experience, stories to make, and cool stuff to send home to the family and grandkids!
    All I've really been told is to dress WARM! Checking the weather forcasts I've discovered that being from south Louisiana and residing in southern Georgia for the past decade has left me ill prepared for temp's that won't get above freezing until April........ It ain't taxfree but hopefully I can put enough pennies in my coffee can to get that custom .45 and .308 I've been coveting for so long!
    Even when I went through there in June one year, it was fairly chilly at night. I believe that area has a bit of altitude to it IIRC, I know there are mountains very close.

Oh, and watch out for that Russian brew they sell in the base bar that is called "9" or something like that. The name would be it's alcohol %.

I seem to recall there wasn't all that much to do on base, but the gym was decent. They have a couple fast food places, 24 hour chow hall that wasn't too bad, and I'm sure your berthing will be better than what they give transient grunts. Aside from that though, I don't recall too much around there, so make sure you have some way to get entertainment. IF you are a reader, getting a kindle and loading up on cheap books probably wouldn't be a bad idea.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    You there for 6 months or a year?
    It's a one year contract....but I could be there longer. I'll be able to go home every now and again.

QK ..........uhhhh, mare's milk huh? I'm pretty set in my drinking habits (or lack there-of), but being from Cajun country, I'll try just about anything......twice.

Buckeye......... they actually have fast-food places there??? Well, is IS run by the AF. Your right, it sits pretty high above sea level with mountians nearby. I've seen advertisments for big-game hunting there so that will occupy some of my attention... I do see myself getting gym-time and some reading done during down-times. I can stand to lose a little 'tubby' and gain a bit of muscle too.

It's a one year contract....but I could be there longer. I'll be able to go home every now and again.

QK ..........uhhhh, mare's milk huh? I'm pretty set in my drinking habits (or lack there-of), but being from Cajun country, I'll try just about anything......twice.

Buckeye......... they actually have fast-food places there??? Well, is IS run by the AF. Your right, it sits pretty high above sea level with mountians nearby. I've seen advertisments for big-game hunting there so that will occupy some of my attention... I do see myself getting gym-time and some reading done during down-times. I can stand to lose a little 'tubby' and gain a bit of muscle too.
    Most have hit the high points. Not sure what kind of tech work you'll be doing but plan to be underwhelmed. You said in an earlier post that you wouldn't be tax free but here you say it's a one year assignment. I don't recall off the top of my head but the first 85-90 k is tax free if you are overseas 270 days out of a 12 month period IIRC. Caveat Emptor: Check with an accountant.

Good Luck!
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Its been a little while, but I seem to recall there were 2-3 little fast food shacks over in their little "mall" where the place they does tailoring and sells patches is. Or maybe I have that confuses with somewhere else on one of my 2 SW Asia round trips, but I don't think so.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Links