It all started with a dark night and a black cow

This is a discussion on It all started with a dark night and a black cow within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Saturday night my wife went to the church to help a young lady practice a solo for Sunday morning service. On her way home she ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: It all started with a dark night and a black cow

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar

Saturday night my wife went to the church to help a young lady practice a solo for Sunday morning service. On her way home she had an encounter with a black cow on the highway on a dark night. Thankfully she didn't get hurt but I can not say the same for the cow and the truck. When I got there the local Volunteer fire department was taking care of traffic, had already assessed damage to wife (none), truck (minor)and cow (can you say steak). While on the way the local small town LE had talked with my wife and taken her driverís license, registration, and proof of insurance. After I arrived he came and talked to us again and let us know a state patrolman would be there shortly. A county deputy showed up so the small town LE gave my wifeís information to the deputy who held on to it until the state patrol got there.

This all happened in front of a house along the hwy, which is where good Samaritans who had stopped to help had shooed the cow. They suspected the cow had a broken leg. LEO tried to find out whoís cow it was, I suspect it belonged to the folks right there. Anyway I figure I am out my deductable and no steaks to show for it.

Fast forward to Monday morning, my wife and I decide to rent her a car at the local airport. The timing works out because she is going to fly out Thursday morning at 0600 to go see her sister. I figure if she rents a car and returns it Thursday morning I donít have to get her to the airport at 0500. So I drop her off at the airport to rent a car, just as I am pulling into the parking lot at work she calls and says they wonít rent her a car.

Her driverís license is expired, yes expired, three different LEOs handled her license, and none of them noticed. No one noticed until she got to the rental counter and the young lady who gets paid a buck 2.98 an hour is the one who notices. I would have thought LEO would have noticed the expiration date.

I turn around go back to the airport to pick her up. Fortunately the motor vehicle department is between the airport and my office so I dropped her there. She went through the process to renew her license and I go back, get her, and drop her at the airport to rent a car.

So how is your Monday morning going? I have nothing to complain about no one is shooting at me.

Dunno, maybe the LEOs were trying to cut her some slack after having a bad enough time after hitting a steak dinner.

VIP Member
    I just checked my expiration date. Thanks for the reminder.

Bummer about no steak...

Yes, steak. At least around here.... the owner of the cow is liable for damages to your vehicle... your insurance company will likely handle it though..
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

it really counts on where you are, some places farm animals have the right of way. farm animals can free roam and do not have to be fenced in.
    in texas if you want cows off your land YOU have to fence them out

edit: when you hit something in the roadway they can say that you lost control of your vehicle; just saying.

"It was a dark but not stormy night with an expired Drivers License and then the cow came out of nowhere!"

Yeah tough luck. Good thing she was not seriousy injured, hitting a cow could do worse. I think you have the makings of a great short story....I'm just saying.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    In Colorado the owner of the cow is not liable. It is a free range state where neighbors must fence animals out not owners in. We had a fellar from Iowa that hit a cow after he had crossed two cattle guards with signs that state open range. He thought he could sue us for the damages until his attorney made him aware of Colorado's livestock laws after extensive research that i'm pretty sure cost him more than his headlight and license plate cover.

This is only in my understanding as I am not an attorney but the Colorado Brand book has the specific laws on it however we have dealt with this in the past.

DC
    mmmm steak. Big, fat, juicy steak.

The good part to this story is that your wife was not injured.

Yep, LEO in all likely hood showed some pity for your wife. Some nice rib eyes on the BBQ would have been nice. Glad your wife received no injury's.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    "DC" is right...your wife is OK and the rest is small potatos...potatoes...poto...awww I should've called Dan Quayle
    Last edited by Stubborn; February 28th, 2012 at 09:26 AM.
    l1a1 likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i clicked here hoping for a cow-tipping story

and of sorts, it was. though the evil ways of the dark cow are over,
    for it will not be a repeat offender. imagine, the cunning; using its blackness to lurk in the night
    and forcing people to stop for it.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    In Colorado the owner of the cow is not liable. It is a free range state where neighbors must fence animals out not owners in. We had a fellar from Iowa that hit a cow after he had crossed two cattle guards with signs that state open range. He thought he could sue us for the damages until his attorney made him aware of Colorado's livestock laws after extensive research that i'm pretty sure cost him more than his headlight and license plate cover.

This is only in my understanding as I am not an attorney but the Colorado Brand book has the specific laws on it however we have dealt with this in the past.
    Yup, she didn't cross any cattle guards the cow was out on HWY 24, which is not exactly free range.

How much do you folks pay those cattle guards down your way?

VIP Member
    Glad your wife is alright.
    If the LEO were trying to cut slack, at least they should have winked at her and said "you may wat to check you DL expiration" wink, wink.
    Sounds as though the dark of night had affected their vision somewhat . They can't check everything everytime.

Whadayamean no steaks?
    Who got em', the police?
    I'd have had my truck there with a trailer and a come-along to pull that fur-bearin' idgit on and to the butcher.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    she's ok, that's the most important thing, I'm surprised they didn't say anything my quess they gave her a break be glad no ticket
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Other then that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    Those days do come every once in a while.
    Glad your wife was not hurt.
    l1a1 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links