Banker leaves server 1% Tip in protest of the 99% protesters... - Page 4

Banker leaves server 1% Tip in protest of the 99% protesters...

This is a discussion on Banker leaves server 1% Tip in protest of the 99% protesters... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm so fed up with this "Predatory Lending" bull crap. Did they grab these people off the street and force them to take a loan ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Banker leaves server 1% Tip in protest of the 99% protesters...

I'm so fed up with this "Predatory Lending" bull crap. Did they grab these people off the street and force them to take a loan they couldn't afford? I would be hard pressed to believe that ANY of these borrowers did not know and understand the details of their mortgage. How about putting some blame on these peoples lack of personal responsibility? How about some responsibilty to the people in power who mandated these lending standards be so lax in order to "fulfill all American's right to home ownership"?

Are there some business leaders that deserve our contempt? Yes. Are they all bad? No.
    atctimmy, Moops and msgt/ret like this.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    There has to be more to the story. Did she give him poor service? I have done that before.... but only for total lack of service.
    As have I. I had a waitress start an argument with my wife because the coffee was old, and the waitress couldn't be bothered to make a fresh pot. I left her a $.01 tip and a card explaining that the paying customer is always right.

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    To play devils advocate, why does anyone have to tip? It's not a law? And she is not entitled to a tip. She should be thankful she has a job.
    The reason we tip is that these people only make something like $2/hr and rely on tips to earn a decent wage. It's sort of the ultimate pay for performance scenario. Imagine if CEO's had to rely on tips...
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

Administrator
    The word "TIP" actually stands for To Insure Promptness.

If I get good, polite service I always over-tip. Waiters and waitresses work hard for their money and often much of their take home money depends on their tips.
    Especially if there are a lot of patrons at one table. They hump & hustle for their money.
    Even if the food is not all that great I still leave a good tip for good service. The folks that wait on my table are not the ones preparing the food.
    Folks can call me a lot of things but, nobody can ever call me a "cheapskate" when I sit down...out to a meal.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    People, please. If you just hire your own private chef, there is no need to leave tips.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Your bleeding heart opinion just happens to stink.

I waited tables for years and I didn't expect any 10% free handouts just for showing up. I expected nothing for just showing up, I EARNED it by busting my hump. My orders were correct, my drinks got filled and I always tried to make sure my customers were happy. BOOM, I got good tips.

Telling me that a crummy server deserves 10% is a flippin' joke. A crummy server deserves to get fired. Then that crummy server deserves to wake up hungry everyday for a few weeks until they get the right attitude and get another job.
    Thanks for the "bleeding heart" comment. On a gun forum that is the equivalent of calling someone a momma's boy on a playground. First, I wasn't talking about a "crummy server." I was talking about crummy service. As I pointed out, a little compassion can go a long way, and I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. I never expected handouts, free or otherwise. I don't give them either. I also never implied I was a bad server. My orders were also correct, my tables' drinks were filled and I also tried to make sure my customers were happy. Despite all that, I sometimes got lousy tips. I even had people bounce without paying. When I pay 10% for bad service, I am acknowledging that my server didn't do a good job (otherwise they'd be getting at least 20%). By not stiffing them, I'm also acknowledging that they did perform a service for me (unless, of course, I never received my food, though I've yet to experience service that bad), and as such, deserve to get paid for their labor. Not paying someone for services rendered is theft.

I also try to be as pleasant as possible to my servers, and, oddly enough, I haven't received service bad enough to merit less than 20% in a long, long time.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moops View Post
    Thanks for the "bleeding heart" comment. On a gun forum that is the equivalent of calling someone a momma's boy on a playground. First, I wasn't talking about a "crummy server." I was talking about crummy service. As I pointed out, a little compassion can go a long way, and I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. I never expected handouts, free or otherwise. I don't give them either. I also never implied I was a bad server. My orders were also correct, my tables' drinks were filled and I also tried to make sure my customers were happy. Despite all that, I sometimes got lousy tips. I even had people bounce without paying. When I pay 10% for bad service, I am acknowledging that my server didn't do a good job (otherwise they'd be getting at least 20%). By not stiffing them, I'm also acknowledging that they did perform a service for me (unless, of course, I never received my food, though I've yet to experience service that bad), and as such, deserve to get paid for their labor. Not paying someone for services rendered is theft.

I also try to be as pleasant as possible to my servers, and, oddly enough, I haven't received service bad enough to merit less than 20% in a long, long time.
    My dad could beat up your dad!

On a serious note, I find no excuse for poor service. Having been there done that, I just can't agree with you. A tip is for GOOD service. It's the way it has always been.

It's the entitlement mentality that has you thinking otherwise.

A few weeks without food would do this entire generation of young adults some good.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

On a serious note, I find no excuse for poor service. Having been there done that, I just can't agree with you. A tip is for GOOD service. It's the way it has always been.

It's the entitlement mentality that has you thinking otherwise.

A few weeks without food would do this entire generation of young adults some good.
    Yeah, I'm gonna have to respectfully, vehemently disagree with you. I understand the entitlement mentality all to well, and can assure you that I don't share it. Never have. I don't tip bad servers for any reason other than they provided a service for me. I'm not saying that I wouldn't ask for another server next time I was at that restaurant, or perhaps avoid that restaurant altogether in the future. I'm just saying that serving me my food is their job, and if they performed that job, they deserve to be paid for it, same as would a surly mechanic who fixed my car or a plumber who also happened to be a jerk.

The fact of the matter is that you, a former server yourself, see a tip as an optional expense. I view it as an agreed-upon service charge for having someone do something for me that I could easily do myself. It is part of the price of eating out, in other words. I understand that you don't agree with me on this point, but insults have never been a successful way of winning someone to your point of view.

Oh, and by the way, old farts have been talking about how spoiled-rotten the youngsters are for as long as there have been old farts and youngsters. Just remember that it is also these spoiled kids who are freezing in the mountains of Afghanistan right now. Not all 'boomers were flower children; I heard some of them even fought a war too.

VIP Member
    Yeah, I'm gonna have to respectfully, vehemently disagree with you. I understand the entitlement mentality all to well, and can assure you that I don't share it. Never have. I don't tip bad servers for any reason other than they provided a service for me. I'm not saying that I wouldn't ask for another server next time I was at that restaurant, or perhaps avoid that restaurant altogether in the future. I'm just saying that serving me my food is their job, and if they performed that job, they deserve to be paid for it, same as would a surly mechanic who fixed my car or a plumber who also happened to be a jerk.

The fact of the matter is that you, a former server yourself, see a tip as an optional expense. I view it as an agreed-upon service charge for having someone do something for me that I could easily do myself. It is part of the price of eating out, in other words. I understand that you don't agree with me on this point, but insults have never been a successful way of winning someone to your point of view.

Oh, and by the way, old farts have been talking about how spoiled-rotten the youngsters are for as long as there have been old farts and youngsters. Just remember that it is also these spoiled kids who are freezing in the mountains of Afghanistan right now. Not all 'boomers were flower children; I heard some of them even fought a war too.
    When you articulate your position in that way I can understand where you are coming from.

Also, I don't mean the entitlement mentality as an insult to you. It is a cultural paradigm that is inescapable in our society today. When I was younger I felt I was special too. It's how we are raised in America today. Simply put, we are so prosperous that it almost impossible for us to understand anything else.

My dad was not a boomer, he came along just before the boomers. He was a pretty prosperous guy and when I was a kid things were pretty good. Around age 13 my dad lost his good job and all of the fluff went away for my older brother and I. The big Christmas mornings were gone and so were most of the big meals. Most of the food we ate as teens we had to shoot and deer season suddenly became much more important to my family.

Having had prosperity and losing it was a real eye opener to me. Many Americans are never faced with truly being hungry. Most are not hungry for an hour, and certainly not for more than a day.

As a member of the armed service I'm sure you have traveled to some places where you've seen the other side of prosperity. When I was in I spent some time in some real 3rd world crapholes and it always reminded me of how good life in America really is.

My point in all of my rambling is this: A job, even a crummy one as a server, is a gift from heaven. It shouldn't be taken for granted.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

VIP Member
    On a gun forum that is the equivalent of calling someone a momma's boy on a playground.
    On a less serious note. Your dad could probably beat up my dad. <-- It shames me to admit that. My dad is getting pretty old and would be more likely to fall and break his hip before he put a whoopin on anybody. : )
    JoJoGunn likes this.

I do tip a lot based on service. I hate going out with my sister because she is a waitress and shes a good one, but she always makes me give good tips. I have been in situations where the bus boy does better than the waitress so I tip him. I usually tip my waitress on my drinks, I do not like to go thirsty, I'm a pretty heavy drinker(I love my sweet tea).

Forgot to add, my sister has said before people can be brutal, not adding a tip at all. Adding comments like,"Dont eat yellow snow" ect. Old men leaving .25 tips. Waitresses dont make normal wage's, I think she makes 2.75.

I generally leave 20%... more for excellent service. The big exception was two incidents at the Denny's in Moab, UT. The first time the waitress didn't seat us for a half hour, even though the restaurant was almost empty (like 2 customers). She didn't take our order for another half hour, and our food took another hour. The second time, it was 15 minutes until we were seated (different waitress). The people at the next table were seated after us, and they had water before we even got menus. They had drinks and appetizers, and no one had even come by to take our order or bring water. We walked out that time.

My guess? Interracial couple with two mixed race kids (Asian and Caucasian) are not welcome in Mormon country.

I have never had service so bad I did not leave a tip. But left them with maybe 2-7 percent. But when service is good I tip well. I was at Ft. Hood Tx when my son was 9 years old. Thanksgiving morning my wife and I went to a resteraunt called Chesses (I think). My son was acting up and my wife and I couldn't eat in peace. It wasn't crowded so the waitresses took my son and kept him occupied while we ate. They all got a tip!

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    FYI its been already proven that this was a fake or forged receipt and that someone placed a '1' in front of the '33' and also the orginal receipt the person gave a $7 tip. God Bless

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I think everybody knows by now and are using the thread for "How I tip and why"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links