Great article and video about hypocrisy...

Great article and video about hypocrisy...

This is a discussion on Great article and video about hypocrisy... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Link to NY Times Video/Article Very interesting. Hopefully these people will realize that they are the problem....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Great article and video about hypocrisy...

  1. #1
    Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Midwest Area to be Precise.
    Posts
    1,276

    Great article and video about hypocrisy...

    Link to NY Times Video/Article

    Very interesting. Hopefully these people will realize that they are the problem.


  2. #2
    VIP Member Array paaiyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,088
    The only thing the government gives me is a little bit of money. A little bit of my money, that is, that they decide to so graciously return. And only because I ask for it back. My health insurance is covered by my employer and I pay for all other forms. I'm saving up by my own means for retirement.
    My blog

    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

  3. #3
    Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Midwest Area to be Precise.
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    The only thing the government gives me is a little bit of money. A little bit of my money, that is, that they decide to so graciously return. And only because I ask for it back. My health insurance is covered by my employer and I pay for all other forms. I'm saving up by my own means for retirement.
    This view is discounting a lot of facts. They pay for roads, the military, the FDA, FAA, hospitals, fire departments, police departments, and numerous other programs. The fact is that you get a lot from the government.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Array sdprof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Near the Black Hills of SD
    Posts
    1,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    This view is discounting a lot of facts. They pay for roads, the military, the FDA, FAA, hospitals, fire departments, police departments, and numerous other programs. The fact is that you get a lot from the government.
    EPA, DEA, DHS, BATFE, DOJ - some of what we get we could do (moslty) without.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

    I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

  5. #5
    Member Array Moops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    This view is discounting a lot of facts. They pay for roads, the military, the FDA, FAA, hospitals, fire departments, police departments, and numerous other programs. The fact is that you get a lot from the government.
    The government doesn't pay for anything. They don't create anything. They simply take money from citizens and decide how to spend it. A government who saves money goes out of business. Just ask any governmental department that has any money left at the end of the fiscal year. Spend it or lose it. Problem is, that is not their money. It's yours.

  6. #6
    Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Midwest Area to be Precise.
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    EPA, DEA, DHS, BATFE, DOJ - some of what we get we could do (moslty) without.
    I like those agencies. The thing is some need to change their mission in my opinion.

    But what is wrong with the Department of Judtice?

  7. #7
    Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Midwest Area to be Precise.
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Moops View Post
    The government doesn't pay for anything. They don't create anything. They simply take money from citizens and decide how to spend it. A government who saves money goes out of business. Just ask any governmental department that has any money left at the end of the fiscal year. Spend it or lose it. Problem is, that is not their money. It's yours.
    True if you want up get technical, the people pay taxes for it. But then perhaps we should dissamble the highways and the infrastructure? And start dissambling out military and parting it out to tax payers for taking their money?

  8. #8
    VIP Member Array BigJon10125's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,123
    We pay for those things with our taxes. I must pay my own salary as a public employee
    BigJon


    "Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

  9. #9
    Member Array Moops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    True if you want up get technical, the people pay taxes for it. But then perhaps we should dissamble the highways and the infrastructure? And start dissambling out military and parting it out to tax payers for taking their money?
    Maybe we should. Ask yourself this: for all the things that the government does which are also done by a for-profit company, who does them better and cheaper? Or, to put it more succinctly, how long would it have taken Wal-Mart to get water to the Superdome after Katrina?

  10. #10
    Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Midwest Area to be Precise.
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Moops View Post
    Maybe we should. Ask yourself this: for all the things that the government does which are also done by a for-profit company, who does them better and cheaper? Or, to put it more succinctly, how long would it have taken Wal-Mart to get water to the Superdome after Katrina?
    What things does the government do more expensive then a for profit company? Examples please. We can use hypothetical examples such as Walmart and Katrina. Would Walmart have gone in since the majority of those people were poor? And they would have to risk their employees?

    How about contracting the entirety of our national defense to Blackwater and other mercenary outfits? What about privatizing every road? How about all fire departments and police departments? There are instances of where the government does it cheaper then private companies. The example of private prisons comes to mind, particularly in Arizona and Pennsylvania.

  11. #11
    VIP Member Array nedrgr21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    3,676
    "pay my own salary" argument is ridiculous.

  12. #12
    Ex Member Array pir8fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mooresville, NC
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    This view is discounting a lot of facts. They pay for roads, the military, the FDA, FAA, hospitals, fire departments, police departments, and numerous other programs. The fact is that you get a lot from the government.
    We sure don't get all the government we pay for. Thank God!
    l1a1 likes this.

  13. #13
    Ex Member Array pir8fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mooresville, NC
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    We pay for those things with our taxes. I must pay my own salary as a public employee
    The taxes public employees pay are merely rebates.

  14. #14
    Member Array Moops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    What things does the government do more expensive then a for profit company? Examples please. We can use hypothetical examples such as Walmart and Katrina. Would Walmart have gone in since the majority of those people were poor? And they would have to risk their employees?

    How about contracting the entirety of our national defense to Blackwater and other mercenary outfits? What about privatizing every road? How about all fire departments and police departments? There are instances of where the government does it cheaper then private companies. The example of private prisons comes to mind, particularly in Arizona and Pennsylvania.
    The government does everything more expensively than private companies. That is why so many military functions are moving toward civilians (btw, Blackwater employees are not "mercenaries," strictly speaking, unless they are non-American). My example of Katrina was simply that if Wal-Mart had been contracted to move supplies to the victims, they would have been able to do it quickly, cheaply and effectively, since they've spent the better part of a century building a smart, efficient and effective infrastructure. Your straw man about poor people is non-sensical (who do you think Wal-Mart has been marketing to for its entire existence?). The government has spent more than 200 years growing bloated and inefficient.

    And what about privatizing every road? Why not make fire and police departments private? Why couldn't it work?

  15. #15
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    What things does the government do more expensive then a for profit company? Examples please. We can use hypothetical examples such as Walmart and Katrina. Would Walmart have gone in since the majority of those people were poor? And they would have to risk their employees?

    How about contracting the entirety of our national defense to Blackwater and other mercenary outfits? What about privatizing every road? How about all fire departments and police departments? There are instances of where the government does it cheaper then private companies. The example of private prisons comes to mind, particularly in Arizona and Pennsylvania.
    As a twenty year Federal employee I could give you lists of things that the Government does that costs three to four times as much money than it should cost. On the other hand they do things that are good too. It's not always straight forward.

    My example of poor money management is a true story and it happened to me about 6 years ago. I have seen hundreds of other things just like this one and I could spend days typing about all of the waste caused by the unthinking, inflexible bureaucracy.

    I volunteered for a class through work to get qualified to train new air traffic controllers. Obviously we need to train our new people but the FAA makes us jump through a few hoops (a waste in and of itself) before we are "qualified" to do so. So I volunteered to go to the FAA OK City school house for a week and get trained (to train).

    I got a class date and was told to go buy a plane ticket for my class. Since I worked at a smaller airport I knew most of the folks from the airlines by first name, I even hung out with a couple of them. I went down to Delta and talked to a friend and he quoted me a price of $400 for a non refundable round trip ticked on the dates I needed. Before purchasing I went back upstairs to my boss with my itinerary and wanted to get the final go ahead to buy the ticket.

    He told me that my ticket was no good and I needed a refundable ticket in case my class got cancelled or postponed. I asked him if he thought that was a possibility. He said no, he was pretty sure (like 98%) we were a go. I went back to Delta and asked for a refundable ticket on the same flight with the same seats. This ticket cost $1400 for the same flights. Before buying I went back to my boss again and said "What the heck!" "We are going to pay three and a half times the price for the same flight just to cover a 2 to 3% chance that the class gets cancelled." His reply was the standard Government answer. "It's not your money, buy the ticket." So buy the ticket I did because that was what I was told to do. In doing so I basically helped the Government wad up $1000 and throw it out of the window.

    The really sad part to this story is that when I got to OK City for my class it was the wrong class.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •