The hardship of the rich...

This is a discussion on The hardship of the rich... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Link to Article It must be hard for them. The sacrifices they are making to survive....

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By WHEC724

Thread: The hardship of the rich...

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar

The hardship of the rich...

Link to Article

It must be hard for them. The sacrifices they are making to survive.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Eat the rich. No sympathy for them.

Aww....poor babies.

VIP Member
    I'm hardly rich, but I do find it interesting that no matter how much I've made in the past, we always make ends meet, but want more.

When income increases, so often does standard of living. A sense of fulfillment however, cannot come from monetary accomplishments.

Some of the poorest people I know, are obscenely rich.
    TVille likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cuckoo429 View Post
    Aww....poor babies.
    Have a heart. It is hard to make a living on over $200K. They are just getting by.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    Have a heart. It is hard to make a living on over $200K. They are just getting by.
    I am cold as a fish.

My wife and I work hard, always have and are smart enough to live within our means....it hasn't always been that way for us but I believe that's the place people need to be to 'be happy', or at least be capable of it. It's quotes like the one below from the article that show that no matter what social/economic level we live on it's the same all over.

"People who don't have money don't understand the stress," said Alan Dlugash, a partner at accounting firm Marks Paneth & Shron LLP in New York who specializes in financial planning for the wealthy. "Could you imagine what it's like to say I got three kids in private school, I have to think about pulling them out? How do you do that?"
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Money is nice but as long as you can get by without going in the hole, it is ok. No matter how much you make you will always want more and the more you have will not satisfy your thirst for more (for a lot of people).

As I was reading that, my main thought was "you've got to be freaking kidding me."

I don't care if someone is rich. I know many folks that are well off. They manage their money prudently. My inlaws have money. If they want to move they buy a house with cash. But they spend wisely. They stay at cheaper hotels. Buy in bulk. Don't flaunt it. But this article is so stupid. That guy is a moron in the article.

"People who don't have money don't understand the stress,"
    That is my favorite line. Stress? only the rich have stress. Plus financial stress is self induced in many situations. The bozo makes 350K a year. He can dump his Conn summer rental. That probably cost easily 25K.

"Could you imagine what it's like to say I got three kids in private school, I have to think about pulling them out? How do you do that?"
    Another favorite line. And yes I can understand. Wife was a nurse and I was in the army. We sacrificed our "Connecticut summer rental upgrade" so we can have our son play AAA travel hockey which he loved and go to private schools so he can have an education. We sacrificed the brand new gadgets so we could put away for his college fund (he will not have to pay off any loans now because of this).

The man sound selfish

Sounds like they're having the same problems that everyone else is having; struggling to live as they are accustomed and learning to make sacrifices to get by.
    I won't buy into this whole class warfare thing. The rich's wants and desires drive our work up and the prices we pay for things down.

Clearly a sensationalist article, and they picked people who enjoy conspicuous consumption.

However, as a counterpoint, if you live and work in the suburbs around NYC, housing prices are 3x to 4x more than what you would pay around a place like Cleveland Detroit, ect. A 1 day train ride into the city is $22+. The cost of living is just a lot higher.

The prob. is that everyone wants to compete with their neighbor,when I retired from the USMC in 06 I was drawing E6 pay,My wife and I bought and paid for 2 new vehicles,a home and land,and she managed to survive on it while I was deployed,My father passed away on Mothers Day 07,and I inherited a large sum of money,I never knew part of his 100% disability check since 71 was going into bonds,so when he passed they cashed out,but we didn't change our lifestyle,same house,my same 02 2500 H.D.,did buy my wife a new Tahoe,family size has increased since I'm home more, I do have a goverment LEO job,but,some local PD make more a year than I doinstead My children can have the College Degree they want(not what the military will pay for),and I can set them up to start life comfortable,not in debt like I did,and all this is because my Father and I were'nt selfish,and thought of our families,and their lifestyle,so If you cant live on 350k,you have a bad habit,or are just plain stupid.No bonus,huh,trying being blown up,shot at,and cut up for 29k a year and see how you like that 350k then!

When Outcome is more than your Income then Upkeep is your Down Fall ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    If you reduced the income amounts and expenditures proportionally, that same story probably could have been written about a lot of us more reasonable income level Smoes. $300K reduced to $200K, $200K is still a lot of money, how many of us could take a reduction of $60K to $40K and not feel the impact in a major way.

Don't get me wrong, I have no sympathy for the insanely rich, and the Bonuses they get are crazy, even when they produce loses and drive companies in the ground. Me, I would just get fired. I guess the old saying holds true today, the taller they are, the harder they fall. Me, I'm just above the ground as it is. so falling down from here would hurt, but I'd get back up and brush myself off and keep on trucking.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Links