Babies yes or no?

This is a discussion on Babies yes or no? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Lets take it this way What age should you teach your babies about guns? Should you tell your child all about guns before they can ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Babies yes or no?

Babies yes or no?

Lets take it this way

What age should you teach your babies about guns?

Should you tell your child all about guns before they can shoot? Then teach them to shoot at an early age. I found this response while looking for information on teaching a child to shoot.

I wouldn't teach a child to shoot a gun. They lack the emotional maturity to be handling something so deadly, and why would they need to?

I don't know how to shoot a gun, and I'm almost 40. It hasn't been a problem for me. If other adults want to shoot for hunting purposes, that's certainly their business, but there's no reason why a kid needs to be doing it considering the risks (think Dick Cheney ... how much more likely is that with a kid? Or think Columbine ... I'm sure those parents never thought it would happen with their kids). If you want to take your child hunting with you or are concerned about self-defense, I'd wait until they're legal adults at 18. A young kid is more likely to be injured in an accident with a gun than successfully use one in self-defense.

2. Remove Ads

I think you have to judge each child and their level of maturity, ability to focus, and desire to shoot. However, that said, I would guess about 7 to 9 years old.
    Last edited by RKflorida; March 2nd, 2012 at 01:13 PM.
    357and40 likes this.

My kids learned to shoot at a very young age. They are all responsible adults now, and we still shoot together very often. There was recently a post where a 15 year old shot and killed a home invader which saved both himself and his mother. If you go about it correctly, and take your time, and FOLLOW THE RULES, I see nothing wrong with children learning to shoot and handle a gun responsibly. OMHO!

Oh, welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware!
    Stubborn likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Sounds like the quote might be rephrased like this.

"I am completely against firearms of any type. I will say that I am not against hunting as I don't want to seem like too much of a reactionary, one sided, brain dead idiot. Did it work?"
    joker1 likes this.

VIP Member
    It depends on the kid. Some are more safety conscious than others. Some never mature to the level where they can be trusted. Some don't feel the need or desire to ever own a gun and that's okay too.

I've had friends that are responsible gun owners that actually hid them from their gun-fearing parents while they were growing up. That seems far more dangerous than me showing my kid proper gun safety when he expressed the interest. Honestly, I would have much preferred that he showed an interest in dirt bikes, but motorcycles never appealed to him, so I'm happy that we go shooting together now.

I'm training my son for all things in life, from being able to operate a tractor and back-hoe, to advanced studies in school, stocks & property investments, as well as just about anything else that I think he'll need to know as an adult.

Whatever age they are capable of putting a finger on a trigger and have the strength to pull that trigger. I'm not saying at this point they should go to the range and learn to draw, shoot, reload, shoot off-hand etc. But they need to learn that if they see a gun they do not touch it. It's never to early to teach them that guns can be dangerous and they are not allowed to touch any gun. Now when they reach the age that they can hold a .22 rifle steadily and maybe a pistol that is a good time to get outdoors and start teaching the safety and shooting. At the very least you teach them the 4 rules and what to do if they come across a gun out in the wild.
    phreddy likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Start familiarizing when your wife is in her 2nd trimester. When a baby is born, the sound of a .45 racking should be soothing, and ideally, put the baby to sleep.

My kids started when they were old enough to understand that they are not toys.
    I have never bought toy guns for my kids because shooting at another person is not a game and I never want them to mistake the difference

I have one that is 4 and have told her about guns how they can be dangerous and to not touch or be around one that is not handled by myself or my wife, but am not sure if I should be taking her shooting so that she can see and understand what guns are capable of.

Why is the OP asking the question? It appears that he or she have already made up his or her mind. It appears that you're not asking the question, but giving us a piece of your mind in light of the recent events in Ohio.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Simple,
    You begin teaching them about firearms when they are old enough to begin asking questions.

For my kids, it was about age three when they began learning what a gun was. I waited until they were about 6yrs old before I took them "shooting".
    hazard123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bolocanolo View Post
    Why is the OP asking the question? It appears that he or she have already made up his or her mind. It appears that you're not asking the question, but giving us a piece of your mind in light of the recent events in Ohio.
    Re-read what he said. He said he found that response when searching for info, not that he agreed with it. Should have used quotes.

My son is 4 years old. He made me VERY proud while in front of a big group of people at WalMart a few days ago. We were looking at the display case of long-guns. I told him the Henry 22 lever was one of the guns I was considering for him. He says (rather loudly) "Dada, it is not a toy. You never point it at anything you care about & don't touch the trigger till you are ready to shoot." HE WAS LISTENING TO ME AFTER ALL!!!

There were a few in the crowd that laughed and a few that just had that knowing grin.

Wil has been helping me tray up ammo for over a year. He gets to hold any weapon he wants as long as he asks and knows better than to touch without asking. We do a visual & physical inspection together to ensure what he is holding is unloaded. He has seen each of my weapons being broken down, cleaned & reassembled.

Is he ready for the range yet? HELL NO! He first needs to demonstrate that he will IMMEDIATELY comply with any order I give with ZERO hesitation.

Every kid is different. My local state range has a sign posted stating no children under 5 years of age. I think you should, as stated above, educate them as early as they show any interest. Take the taboo out of the gun & they become less likely to try to sneak a peek.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

"Babies yes or no"
    Yes

Both of mine were 5 when I started. Now one is 10 and very good. The other is 8 and getting better by the day.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links