Doomsday shows making us look bad?

This is a discussion on Doomsday shows making us look bad? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I think a lot of excellent points have been made on this subject. Clearly Hollywood and the producers of such shows hype the typical red ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Doomsday shows making us look bad?

I think a lot of excellent points have been made on this subject. Clearly Hollywood and the producers of such shows hype the typical red neck, uneducated and paranoid examples for the sole reason of marketability. No one wants to see a boring PhD who's views will use logic, but the hayseed or subway dweller who's comments let's say are are somewhat extreme or just plain out there create discussion which always makes it into mainstream. Not all survivalists or preppers are gun fanatics, on the contrary what you see are average folks who really need more training. Once the public sees the show, a certain % will laugh and dismiss it. Another portion will embrace it! Than you have the group who hates it and only see radicals with guns. They are the people who only equate people with firearms = unstable, and this is what the public court of opinion thrives on. I also heard about the Walking Dead in Chicago & Milwaukee, rumor has it that they will be marching in the upcoming recall election in Wisconsin protesting the castle doctrine and pro 2nd Amendment. Unnamed sources within the Walking Dead are quoted as saying they feel threatened.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    The latest protest I have heard about is where a large group of loyal democratic voters in Chicago are coming out to protest the AMC show "The Walking Dead". They claim the show portrays all dead people as killers when actually they are a quiet peaceful group who wish to remain unnoticed. A leader of the group was quoted as saying "We don't want to hurt no one, we only want to come out and vote now and then."

Michael
    This has got to be the comment of the day! Michael knows about Chicago politics!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I for one am not concerned regardless how many people actually tune in. But for some info. The following are the Nielson ratings for that week that he shot his thumb off:

Nielson ratings:

Doomsday Preppers: .8
    Storage Wars: 3.1
    Sponge Bob Square Pants: 2.7

Highest ranked Cable Show (Jersey Shore) 4.1
    10th rank Broadcast TV Show (Crimminal Minds) 8.1

I mean come on, Sponge Bob Square Pants beats out Preppers. And just think about all those folks with storage containers out there. They are not being shown in a shining light either
    vanagonnuts likes this.

Preppers is pretty lame, who would be prepping for the end of the world and then tell everyone on the planet what/where/when they are doing? aren't you supposed to be paranoid about that kinda stuff? zombies watch tv and they'll get you. *pumps his shotgun*

Local gun store here said that show helped sales, alot of guys are getting wives to watch to help motivate firearm purchases...heh.

Although I haven't seen the show, I just don't take anything I see on TV that serious. If someone is gonna judge me based on what they see on a TV show then they had already made that judgement.
    NRA MEMBER
    EDC: Beretta Nano

"I'll be the only one standing with 100lbs to lose."

I've seen the previews with a rather large woman refering to obesity as part of her plan and not her lack of self control. Point being, hopefully people can see the difference between a gun collector and one of these "unique" people with a "unique" hobby. On the other hand, if I find out before hand when and how the world is going to end then I will begin to plan.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    What exactly do you mean by "us"?
    I am not a paranoid or mentally deficient, so i am not effected. It's TV, they always interview the slowest beast in the herd.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinS View Post
    All the shows that are coming out about doomsday. I think they are making us look bad. The shows are painting gun owners as a bunch of parinoid nuts that are hoarding weapon.
    I'm not sure which "us" you are concerned about, but anyone who watches this show is paying absolutely no attention to me.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Come on. Its TV.....Watch and enjoy.
    TV has often been a mirror reflecting our society's values and concerns. Usually, the shows take the legitimate
    issues and magnify them beyond all recognition. In comedy the dad becomes the Head Buffoon of the House;
    in drama, there is death lurking behind every door.

Television and Hollywood, both often portray us in vastly inaccurate and exaggerated ways. When these shows are
    seen abroad it becomes inevitable that our national image and respect for us by others diminishes.

We have enough of our own people who can't distinguish entertainment from reality; why should we think it goes any better
    for us when these shows are rebroadcast in Australia; or elsewhere in the world.

See my signature line.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Why would anyone watch a TV show that actually showed normal ordinary folks going about their daily lives? Going to work every day. Coming home watching a few hours of TV before bed. For the most part there would be no shootings. No terrorism, muggings, strange sex acts in the middle of the street. Pretty damn dull if ya ask me. I sure wouldn't watch it.

I want to see shows with crazy folks, hot babes on bikes, cops who can pick a bad guy off the top of a roof 300 yards away while running at top speed with a baby under his arm that he just saved from an alligator. I want anything but real life. I live real life all day. I wast to be entertained when I turn on the tube.

Michael

• It's TV... entertainment
    • It shows a direction America is is interested in (more people buying supplies, guns, etc). Heck, even I took a closer look at my 72 hour setup and am considering a 3 month net (though my wife things we have sufficient goods in the house already for that)
    • People on the show aren't seen as "gun nuts".. more are simply "nuts"
    • Ignorant people have ignorant views, reguardless of TV or other mediums
    • This show isn't going to convert a neutral person into an anti-gunner
    • People I know who aren't security aware or preppers have mentioned to me they watched it and are now interested in some form of either or both
    • National Geo started it, and others are going to have spin-offs
    • A guy in the show shot his thumb off, instead of stopping filming, they highlighted lack of safety, and if I recall, they talked about what could have avoided it

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    TV has often been a mirror reflecting our society's values and concerns. Usually, the shows take the legitimate
    issues and magnify them beyond all recognition. In comedy the dad becomes the Head Buffoon of the House;
    in drama, there is death lurking behind every door.

Television and Hollywood, both often portray us in vastly inaccurate and exaggerated ways. When these shows are
    seen abroad it becomes inevitable that our national image and respect for us by others diminishes.

We have enough of our own people who can't distinguish entertainment from reality; why should we think it goes any better
    for us when these shows are rebroadcast in Australia; or elsewhere in the world.

See my signature line.
    I really do not care about the rest of the worlds TV viewing. I have better than 250 channels and still nothing is on. Its TV, watch it if you like it. If you do not then dont. I think that if you have a real concern about how others view the U.S. take a look at youtube. Much worse....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I got my wife to watch! While she thought they were a bunch of nuts with all the storage like a $100,000.00 of food, she did tell me I could buy more ammo just in case! Another 3,000 rounds in vault!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links