Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6

This is a discussion on Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by mlr1m Lets make things simple. You have only two choices. 1) You live life as a free man. Well as free as ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Lets make things simple.
    You have only two choices.
    1) You live life as a free man. Well as free as you can be under present laws.
    2) You spend the rest of your life in confinement.

Which would you choose.

Michael
    You wanna rephrase that? The choice there is obvious.

As to your original question, I linked to a story of a man who may not have had the choice, and had to wait 112 days in jail for his jury trial. He's happy to be alive.

Can't link back to that posting with tapatalk. Or otherwise, easily on my phone. It was in the news subforum, here on DC.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

2. Remove Ads

Would you really go jail than die as a free person?
    The sentence quoted above makes me think of freemen versus those oppressed by tyranny. I'll stay a free person even if it means I'll die defending that freedom.

I too have used the phrase "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6". I have no intentions of letting a BG end my life or my family's. If left with the choice, the BG goes and I'll take my chances with the jury system. I pray I'll never be in that position.

I have always questioned the mentality of criminals who agree to life in jail to avoid death. What kind of person would willingly accept a lifetime of bondage?
    I think you answered your own question. The criminals. Otherwise they would be on the straight and narrow. I saw an episode of Bait Car where the car thief had been out of jail only about three days. He took the car for kicks knowing it was a bait car. Go figure.
    USN Retired

Either I am misunderstanding a lot of you, because I am blown away at reading the responses of some of you guys who are terrified of jail. Why do you carry a weapon? Tough guy/cool factor? If you won't use it to defend yourself why waste the time and the effort? Why be a poser? When the situation comes, there will be no thinking, no reflection of the consequences of your decision. You will have a very simple choice to make. Live or die. From what I am reading, many of you are going to choose to die. Makes no sense for somebody committed to carrying around a weapon for the sole purpose of preserving life.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead84 View Post
    Either I am misunderstanding a lot of you, because I am blown away at reading the responses of some of you guys who are terrified of jail. Why do you carry a weapon? Tough guy/cool factor? If you won't use it to defend yourself why waste the time and the effort? Why be a poser? When the situation comes, there will be no thinking, no reflection of the consequences of your decision. You will have a very simple choice to make. Live or die. From what I am reading, many of you are going to choose to die. Makes no sense for somebody committed to carrying around a weapon for the sole purpose of preserving life.
    I can recall only one person that I have ever discussed self defense with who was truly against using lethal force to defend his life.

My point is that the phrase gets thrown out in a bunch of different scenarios - some of which are may be hard to justify in court, and when you are talking about taking lives with a firearm, decisions made in a court become quite serious.

Your post is ridiculous. No sane person would choose death over life, but there is a certain gravitas that should be recognized when considering the subject of shooting a human being in a civilian setting.
    Hopyard and limatunes like this.

Hey, I am really overweight. Would it be OK if I said, I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 12. Might be too much work for just 6. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    Your post is ridiculous. No sane person would choose death over life
    I'm not sure you even read my post if you came to this conclusion.

I'm not sure you even read my post if you came to this conclusion.
    I read that post and have read some of your other posts. They all seem to be ridiculous.

I read that post and have read some of your other posts. They all seem to be ridiculous.
    If you read that post, and came to that conclusion your reading comprehension skills suck horribly.

Live or die. From what I am reading, many of you are going to choose to die.
    No one is choosing to die, dude.

VIP Member
    Perhaps, so that we can stop the back and forth shenanigans you can articulate what people are choosing.

I myself have a hard time understanding the OPs position. In fact, either the OP is not understanding the slogan or he and I are not even close to being on the same page.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I think the slogan that the OP refered to is pretty silly actually.

Would my family be better off with me in prison or if I died? Financially they would be better off if I died. The cost of a long trial and my imprisonment would be a pretty difficult financial burden. They could overcome it possibly, but if I simply died they could continue their life as well, possibly better than they are currently.

Does that mean that I am going to let someone kill me because I don't want to risk a trial and possible prison time. Nope. Nor would I sit by and let someone else die (assuming the events are clear) because I am afraid of the possible financial burden I would place myself in, or the risk to my life and possible death.

I will do what I know is right when the time comes, regardless. I am not afraid of dying or risking the financial loss if that is what it takes. That is me, everyone else has to make their minds up about what they are willing to do.

Again, I think the phrase I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6 is silly. A more appropriate phrase would be, I would rather take the time to know the law and the enviroment than to be tried by 12.
    limatunes likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Exactly. Why are you arguing with me then?

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Perhaps, so that we can stop the back and forth shenanigans you can articulate what people are choosing.

I myself have a hard time understanding the OPs position. In fact, either the OP is not understanding the slogan or he and I are not even close to being on the same page.
    Exactly. The question posed makes no sense for a bunch of guys that have decided to carry weapons around to preserve life

Means to me ,,,,, I had rather put my fate into the hands of
    12 good Americans than let 1 BG decide my fate,,,,,, always
    will,,,,, and even if you get prison ,,,, even life in prison,,, you
    never know ,,,, you could get out ,,,,,, but dead is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post

Maybe you're not understanding the slogan. It's obviously meaning different things to different people, and I can't really change that.

Let's take it literally. Being tried by 12 means you're facing criminal charges. Based on the verdict, the sentencing may be extremely harsh, which is possible if you shoot somebody and kill them. It could be 5 years, 10 years, 62 years, 3 life sentences, etc.

Being carried by six means you're dead. Now there is going to be a range of views on death that cannot be changed on some internet forum. Religious folks believe in some after life, some people may not. Let's say the OP is comfortable with the after life, in that he believes he will go to heaven, just go to sleep and black out, be reincarnated as a golden eagle, etc.

The phrase "better to be tried to 12 than be carried by six" is an absolute. It states that it is always better to be in court than dead. The OP's opinion is that sometimes it may be better to be dead. This is an opinion, and nothing more. Despite any religious ideals, it is reasonable for a person to think that in extreme cases. The OP is trying to say that facing murder charges, the outcome of which could place him in confinement for the rest of his life with all sorts of degenerates and mental hardships, could potentially be worse than death, in his opinion.

Or rather - going out swinging is better than spending the rest of one's life in a box, eating slop everyday, dealing with violence and sexual assault on a regular basis, never feeling the touch of a woman, etc.

That is a possible outcome of "being tried by 12."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links