Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6

This is a discussion on Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6 within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I hear that comment a lot on here. I cringe every time I hear it. Does everyone really feel that way? Would you really go ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6

I hear that comment a lot on here. I cringe every time I hear it. Does everyone really feel that way? Would you really go jail than die as a free person? Maybe if I had kids or family who depends on me I might agree with the statement. But, being a lifelong bachelor with no dependents there is no way I can honestly say I would rather give up my freedom than to die.

I have always questioned the mentality of criminals who agree to life in jail to avoid death. What kind of person would willingly accept a lifetime of bondage?
    Am I missing something? Where am I going wrong?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Where am I going wrong?

Michael
    You're assuming those 12 will never see it your way.

Now I don't fully commit to that idea. But I understand it. Being tried by 12 is not an automatic guilty verdict. You're just ensuring that you live to take that chance.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I understand your point and agree that most probably believe they will be acquitted. I also believe that many would rather live a lifetime in jail than to die. That I do not understand.

Michael

Senior Moderator
    I dont see it the same way that you do.

It think that it means that you intend to live through an encounter...and if it results in going to trial, at least you have lived to get tried, rather than be killed on the spot.

What kind of person would willingly accept a lifetime of bondage?
    Am I missing something? Where am I going wrong?
    Most people fear death. They really fear the unknown, so for them any alternative is better than dieing.

If you dont fear death, then it makes no sense to live in bondage or to compromise your beleifs. Its a warrior mindset that few people possess. If you read up on the stories of Medal of Honor winners, most of them came to the conclusion that they would be killed, so therefore they did what was needed to be done. In their minds, they were already dead, so they had nothing to lose. To them, the phrase" I'd rather die standing than to live on my knees" was more than just a phrase, it was a way of life.

Those people have always been and will always be in the minority, but they are the ones that make things happen. Most will never understand it, but some do.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I dont feel that way at all. It just means you would rather live, then die. Yeah you could end up in prison but you have a good chance to not go. Also, if its ruled a good shoot or "justifiable" then you normally only have to worry about the civil suit from BG's family.
    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I agree with the OP. Prison would suck.

If you act according to your states laws and your best judgement you shouldn't be afraid of being judged. I'd rather take my chances with a jury of my peers than a bullet that would end my life. Even if you don't have a family that depends on you (kids, wife and mortgage) I'm sure you have loved ones that would miss you be it dead or locked up for life.
    RoadKill and hienykins like this.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

I guess what I do not understand are those who given the choice of life imprisonment or death will choose life. Its like freedom is not as important as life is to them. To me life without freedom would be worse than death.

Michael
    highonroof and RichB70 like this.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    As long as you are alive you have a chance at freedom. If you are dead you do not. You only get one life....may it last as long as possible.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

If you choose the option of being carried by 6, there is a 100% chance your life is over. If you choose to be judged by 12, your odds improve dramatically.

I will preserve my life 100 times out of 100. If I end up in jail over it, so be it. Beats being dead. And if you make necessary preparations, if you ever do end up in court your chances are pretty good of never seeing a jail cell.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead84 View Post
    If you choose the option of being carried by 6, there is a 100% chance your life is over. If you choose to be judged by 12, your odds improve dramatically.

I will preserve my life 100 times out of 100. If I end up in jail over it, so be it. Beats being dead. And if you make necessary preparations, if you ever do end up in court your chances are pretty good of never seeing a jail cell.
    This is where I will always disagree. A great man once said "Give me liberty or give me death". I agree with him.

Michael
    Hopyard likes this.

This is where I will always disagree. A great man once said "Give me liberty or give me death". I agree with him.

Michael
    You're assuming you get a life sentence without parole. I'd rather live to be 80-90 and have spent 5-10 years in jail than to have died at the age of 27.

If you're so terrified of jail why do you carry a weapon? Sounds like you're dead set on being a victim. Just ditch the gun and wait for it to happen? Your position, combined with your presence on this forum, makes zero sense.

Like any other aphorism, "rather by judged by 12..." tries to convey a point. It is not your Rule for a Happy Life, and it shouldn't govern every decision you make.

Actually, I have my own version, which goes like this:

Instead of having to submit to the whims of a dirtbag, I'd rather have a fighting chance to do things my way.
    Hopyard likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I know I wouldn’t like prison, and that’s one of many reasons why I would never chose to be the bad guy. But if faced with either getting a knife in the chest, or a bad guy with a gun pressed against a family member, I wouldn’t be thinking to much about those 12 judging me at that moment. I just hope that the training, and classes I attend helps improve my odds at doing the right thing, at the right time, so that the bad guy looses, and the 12 understand why it was nessary to use deadly force.
    noway2 likes this.

VIP Member

Michael

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    You are comparing apples to oranges, insofar as phrases.

"Give me liberty or give me death".

Give me Liberty, or Give me Death!" is a quotation attributed to Patrick Henry from a speech he made to the Virginia Convention. It was given on March 23, 1775, at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia, and is credited with having swung the balance in convincing the Virginia House of Burgesses to pass a resolution delivering the Virginia troops to the Revolutionary War.

From; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Give_me..._give_me_Death!

Your original post , reffering to ;

Used to justify carrying a concealed weapon or defending your self to protect oneself. If you were carrying a concealed weapon without a permit and the weapon was used in self defense, you might be prosecuted if the perpetrator was killed. Defenders of this argument are willing to be judged by a jury of 12, rather than being killed by the assailant and carried to the grave by 6 pall bearers.

From here; JUDGED BY 12 RATHER THAN CARRIED BY 6 - Used to justify carrying a concealed weapon or defending your self to protect oneself. If you were carrying a concealed weapon without a permit and the weapon was used in self defense, you might be prosecuted i

They really are two different thougts.
    Hopyard likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links