Confused about where I am on the map

This is a discussion on Confused about where I am on the map within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Mike1956 Yes, indeed, and the Big Ten is still the Big Ten, except it isn't really ten, and they aren't all that ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Confused about where I am on the map

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Yes, indeed, and the Big Ten is still the Big Ten, except it isn't really ten, and they aren't all that big.
    What is a Big Ten never seen that on a map or in any geography text.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    I have a serious question Why do people contuine to live in Torando Alley?

If I told you that I was going to put myself in harms way everyday people would call you nuts.
    That is a good question.
    Don't believe everything you think.

VIP Member

If I told you that I was going to put myself in harms way everyday people would call you nuts.
    I wasn’t given a choice, was assigned to Altus Airplane Patch for six years as an instructor.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    The truth of the matter is, for those on the Left Coast and the East Coast, everything between the two coasts is "Midwest" unless "Southwest", "NE" and "NW". To say it another way, "Empty" or "Wasteland" or "Cultural Backwater" (all terms of endearment to me) between the Hudson River and LA and San Fran. Texas is a whole different country. They generally have no coherent comprehension of the vast scale out here. A long trip to them is popping into NYC from Long Island.

^^^^^^^^^^^That explaination^^^^^^^

should have everyone straightened out on the matter!!

Har de har har!

Here is simply how I refer to the US, according to NOAA;
    NWS radar image from Detroit, MI
    The 12 boxes underneath the large one have the US divided up.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I'm from Delaware, that's the East Coast, and that's right, I can step in the Atlantic Ocean.
    Can you see France?
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member

Well, seriously, thank goodness for the many who do; and who provide food for our tables and fiber for our clothing.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Can you see France?
    Russia

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    The truth of the matter is, for those on the Left Coast and the East Coast, everything between the two coasts is "Midwest" unless "Southwest", "NE" and "NW". To say it another way, "Empty" or "Wasteland" or "Cultural Backwater" (all terms of endearment to me) between the Hudson River and LA and San Fran. Texas is a whole different country. They generally have no coherent comprehension of the vast scale out here. A long trip to them is popping into NYC from Long Island.
    You forgot the always popular "flyover country".
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    last i looked, i was right where i left myself...

it ( life) did not get complicated till 3rd grade
    heck, i remember the weatherman drawing on the B.I.G. map of the US with his magic marker
    and t e a r i n g the page off. than the jet would fly and touch the face of god and
    the TV would go off the air. imagine that!!

--the phones were nailed to the wall and mom was our answering service who, by the way,
    often didn't know where we were nor cared much either.

if you are truely troubled as to where you are; go to the mall and on the big map there , there will be a red "X"
    that clearly states "You Are Here". no one actually needs more information than that...
    Hopyard and WHEC724 like this.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    Keep in mind the Cowboy flicks which were so popular in the 1950s and 60s did nothing to convey the impression of civilization existing between the coasts.
    True enough. Of course, the following thread does little to convey the impression of civility in our nation's capital - just sayin'

Paul Quander, Deputy Mayor for Public Safety and Justice, says...
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    I'm never sure just exactly where I am, so I never ask for directions.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I'm uncertain if the post was intended as sarcasm, mild humor, or a serious question.

SNIP:
    Actually this came up a few years ago when I was helping a friend who was applying for his U.S. citizenship. He was trying to lear everything he could about his new Country.
    Its funny the things we accept here as fact that someone from the outside spots immediately as being factually incorrect. They do not understand that at one time Kentucky was the west. When they see on the new about Chicago and the mid-west they go look at a map. They do not realize that mid-west is not a direction but that it is just a name with no modern meaning.
    He sees Oklahoma and Texas as Central U.S. when talking about east to west placement. It was this friend who I was trying to explain why it is that if you are in the center of the U.S. you had to go ,not west, but east to reach the mid-west.

It was kind of funny looking at the confused look on his face.

Michael

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    True enough. Of course, the following thread does little to convey the impression of civility in our nation's capital - just sayin'

Paul Quander, Deputy Mayor for Public Safety and Justice, says...

Maybe that's why I'm not a Washington Politician---that and the Hatch Act.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Actually this came up a few years ago when I was helping a friend who was applying for his U.S. citizenship. He was trying to lear everything he could about his new Country.
    Its funny the things we accept here as fact that someone from the outside spots immediately as being factually incorrect. They do not understand that at one time Kentucky was the west. When they see on the new about Chicago and the mid-west they go look at a map. They do not realize that mid-west is not a direction but that it is just a name with no modern meaning.
    He sees Oklahoma and Texas as Central U.S. when talking about east to west placement. It was this friend who I was trying to explain why it is that if you are in the center of the U.S. you had to go ,not west, but east to reach the mid-west.

It was kind of funny looking at the confused look on his face.

Michael
    Yes, it is indeed confusing to someone who wasn't born here. And our political system is incomprehensible to those who come from a parliamentary one.
    Andrew Jackson

Administrator
    It's pretty amazing that here on DefensiveCarry we have forum members who reside in all 57 U.S. States...Whoops! I forgot one State - Correction...that would be all 58 States. Sorry!
    Rock and Glock and msgt/ret like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links