Confused about where I am on the map

This is a discussion on Confused about where I am on the map within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Every time I watch the weather I get confused when they discuss where the storms are. Tonight on the national news they were saying that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Confused about where I am on the map

Confused about where I am on the map

Every time I watch the weather I get confused when they discuss where the storms are. Tonight on the national news they were saying that severe storms and tornadoes are all over the mid-west portion of the nation. I imediatly bring up the radar on my computer and being in the center of the nation In Oklahoma I look to the radar to the west of me. Radar is clear to the west. Hell its clear all the way from central U.S. to the west coast.
    Next I bring up the national radar and find the storms to the east of me. Over half way to the east coast from me.
    I'm trying to figure all this out. From what I can gather from listening to national new is that it works this way.
    You start out on the east coast.
    Then as you travel west you hit the mid-west. This includes the largest city in the mid-west, Chicago. I'm not sure where the west starts but if Illinois is in the mid-west then the actual west must start around Memphis maybe?
    Now traveling on farther west you enter the central portion of the U.S. Oklahoma, Kansas, etc. No one can fully explain to me why the Central portion of the U.S is west of the mid-west.
    Then traveling further west you hit the eastern edge of the west which is west of the middle of the west which is east of the central part of the country.

Have I got it right?

Michael

2. Remove Ads

I'm in the North East and that's correct on my map.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

you do have a lot to worry about...I don't know how you keep going.
    dukalmighty likes this.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

And the kicker is when they call Ohio the midwest.

Now they are putting Missouri in the Southeast, and Boise State in the Big East. Splain that on the map?
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Yes, indeed, and the Big Ten is still the Big Ten, except it isn't really ten, and they aren't all that big.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    And the kicker is when they call Ohio the midwest.

Now they are putting Missouri in the Southeast, and Boise State in the Big East. Splain that on the map?
    For me the kicker is when people in the news or forecasters think NJ and NY are part of New England.

"Who's on first?"
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I love how Texas is just Texas. You can be in the northeast, the south, the southwest, midwest, I'll be in Texas.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    I love how Texas is just Texas. You can be in the northeast, the south, the southwest, midwest, I'll be in Texas.
    True, and none of us ever confuse California, Alaska or Montana with anywhere else.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I live in West Virginia and we are considered a "Mid Alantic" state. Mid Atlantic???? Really??

Last time I looked out my window, I did not see the Atlantic Ocean.

I can barely see the Ohio River so we need to change the description to an Ohio Valley State.

The Weather Channel doesn't even know we are a state, they call us Western Virginia.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

The truth of the matter is, for those on the Left Coast and the East Coast, everything between the two coasts is "Midwest" unless "Southwest", "NE" and "NW". To say it another way, "Empty" or "Wasteland" or "Cultural Backwater" (all terms of endearment to me) between the Hudson River and LA and San Fran. Texas is a whole different country. They generally have no coherent comprehension of the vast scale out here. A long trip to them is popping into NYC from Long Island.

VIP Member
    I'm uncertain if the post was intended as sarcasm, mild humor, or a serious question.

Of course what we call the mid-west; isn't our west. Lots of these terms have historic meaning. While you were close
    with your comment about the West starting at Memphis, it really --as a practical matter--- started at St Louis.

No one in their right mind wanted to live between the Mississippi and the Pacific Ocean; OK didn't count, it got relegated to
    "Indian Territory." Kansas, just another place to fight over/ and after the Civil War St. Louis was the starting place for
    wagon trains to the NW, and to California.

Population concentrated East of the Mississippi River, for the most part, and along the coast lines.

For many, "West" was anything West of the Hudson River in NY, and the rest of the country was California. That was my perception growing up in the 1950s. I literally had no idea there was civilization in between.

Anyway, what to do with OK. Not quite "The South." Not quite a truly Western state if you consider Kansas the Geographic Center, too sparsely populated to be a member of the Union anyway. Annex it to Arkansas. That's the only thing that makes sense. Then call it the near west; which of course is west of the mid-west. That would help our public schools have something confusing to teach already confused minds. And we'd have only 49 states once again.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    The truth of the matter is, for those on the Left Coast and the East Coast, everything between the two coasts is "Midwest" unless "Southwest", "NE" and "NW". To say it another way, "Empty" or "Wasteland" or "Cultural Backwater" (all terms of endearment to me) between the Hudson River and LA and San Fran. Texas is a whole different country. They generally have no coherent comprehension of the vast scale out here. A long trip to them is popping into NYC from Long Island.
    Sadly, this is absolutely true, and I know it from my own life experience. A long trip for folks in the North East is a
    modest ride in TX and all the way up to the Canadian border.

Keep in mind the Cowboy flicks which were so popular in the 1950s and 60s did nothing to convey the impression of civilization existing between the coasts. The Interstate Highway system didn't exist and people really had very limited means of
    seeing the country or moving about it.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I'm from Delaware, that's the East Coast, and that's right, I can step in the Atlantic Ocean.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I have a serious question Why do people contuine to live in Torando Alley?

If I told you that I was going to put myself in harms way everyday people would call you nuts.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links