Good hand-to-hand combat training? - Page 3

Good hand-to-hand combat training?

This is a discussion on Good hand-to-hand combat training? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My response was for hopyard and atctimmy...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Good hand-to-hand combat training?

My response was for hopyard and atctimmy

VIP Member
    There is no one best way. I guess you just need to be good at what you are good at.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    There is no one best way. I guess you just need to be good at what you are good at.
    That's the feeling I have. I guess my plan is to, as time allows, try to become as well rounded as I can. I do think I'll try out Krav first though. I do want to advance my firearms training as well though, but I'm trying to save up so I can make a big trip out of it and go to a great program.
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

Again, thank you all for the responses!

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I'm too old and fat for all of that...I think I'll just stick with klik-pao. (sorry for stealing your signature line "EXsoldier")
    tactilame likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    I openly admit that I train bjj and mma type sparring and am thus biased. I can tell you all the reasons why going to the ground is a poor decision. But it is what I feel comfortable with.

All that said I recommend people look at krav and systems first and go from there. More than anything they are broad arts that will show you where you are weak and what areas you need to focus on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    I'm too old and fat for all of that...I think I'll just stick with klik-pao. (sorry for stealing your signature line "EXsoldier")
    I myself am still young and resilient, but physical fights still make me nervous. A friend of mine actually lost her brother to a sucker punch. That's right, one punch to the head. That's why I want to rely on my SA more than anything. But these days there are GAMES that TEENS play where they go around trying to knock-out people, and you hear stories of people being attacked in broad daylight in public places for absolutely no reason.

I've been in my fair share of fights when I was younger, so I'd like to imagine I have a decently strong jaw, but I still don't want to risk being unprepared!

In a disparity of force situation, however, you'd better bet my pistol is coming out of the holster. I carry all the time, so in a multiple BG scenario, I don't think, regardless of H2H training, I'd rely on my skills to get out of it. Especially when it could mean them getting ahold of my gun instead of just getting beat up and having my wallet taken or whatever.

Hand to Hand?? Are you nuts? Put a good pistol in your hand and then take the booger finger of that hand and press the bang switch while pointing at the bad guy. Also, carry a Back Up Gun and if anybody is still moving when you empty the first gun, put the BUG in your other hand and repeat until no one is moving. There! You used both hands in my newly invented martial art called BYD (bang yer dead) and you didn't even have to take the cigarette out of your mouth.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RKflorida View Post
    Hand to Hand?? Are you nuts? Put a good pistol in your hand and then take the booger finger of that hand and press the bang switch while pointing at the bad guy. Also, carry a Back Up Gun and if anybody is still moving when you empty the first gun, put the BUG in your other hand and repeat until no one is moving. There! You used both hands in my newly invented martial art called BYD (bang yer dead) and you didn't even have to take the cigarette out of your mouth.
    Cute, until something happens quickly and close up. You may need to deal with a gun or knife H2H before going for yours. You may need to make space to use your PCW. You might not even be legally in a situation where using a weapon other than your hands would be lawful. Lots of variables.

IMO, and keep in mind I came to MA very very late in life, whereas I grew up with guns, the handgun is a fairly lousy weapon and it is a weapon of last resort. We all need something else, or several somethings else: pepper, hands, hard object, cane,
    knife, you name it. It depends on how you dress, where you live, time of year.

H2H and MA are absolutely not for everyone, and probably not for myself except as a means of keeping old man time a little further back, but we all need something beyond or besides or in addition to a carry firearm.

I had this point proven to my own satisfaction with a road-rage incident where some crazy guy followed me into a gas station in broad daylight, with others around. I didn't see a weapon on him. He was in a very aggressive posture, screaming and yelling--oddly without foul language. One wrong word or gesture on my part and it would have become physical--- but not
    likely in a manner and to a degree where a lethal weapon might be employed. Knowing that I had a few things I could do if he pushed the envelope allowed me to just stand there stone cold silent and stare at him. For reasons I can only guess, he suddenly appeared scared to death and took off running back to his car.

We all need more than one tool in our basket.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I haven't seen Muay Thai mentioned yet. That is by far the superior striking art, IMO.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Quote Originally Posted by All_Business View Post
    I haven't seen Muay Thai mentioned yet. That is by far the superior striking art, IMO.
    I did! And it is but only if you are well trained. I train in muay Thai and boxing and when i primarily boxed I would piss of Thai fighters because I would spar with them and let them do their kicks and everything and i would only use my hands. However I trained boxing 5 hours a day 6 days a week. I simply was faster and had better movement and a much harder chin.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Hopyard,

You said it very well! I've been in confrontations where, I'm convinced, my confidence was the key factor that prevented the incident from developing into a fight. The fact is, most incidents don't justify the use of deadly force and as you've said, one needs other options. Now if I could only learn to cope with all of that unused adrenaline!

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I've gotten brown belts in two different Tae Kwon Do styles, picked up Muay Thai informally and dabbled in a half dozen others. I'd go with a "hard" style (that might just be my bias) and then pick up ju-jitsu or something like that after, as it takes much longer to master. I'd also advise a weapons style involving sticks or knives, as they are the most available weapons you are likely to have or have used against you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links