Is this safe at the range?

This is a discussion on Is this safe at the range? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was at the range today testing out a few modifications I made to my glock and my J frame. I go in and there ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Is this safe at the range?

I was at the range today testing out a few modifications I made to my glock and my J frame. I go in and there is this older guy with an oxygen tank at the center firing lane just shooting away. It was one of those rather large ones, on wheels. I was rather worried. I mean, one richocet or something and we're pretty much done for, right? I dont have a medical degree but I do have a Ag science degree and I know that you dont leave the Air or Acet bottles just "around." This may be a completely different situation but yall tell me what you think. Lets just say I left as soon as I proved my modifications, about 200 rounds earlier than I wanted.

Does your range have an abundance of ricochets?

A well constructed range shouldn't have ricochets. A ricochet is rather dangerous if it comes right back at you, without an oxygen tank present.
    atctimmy and hienykins like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    +1 to Buckeye. If rounds are coming back at you with enough force to punch through a metal tank then they are also able to punch through you.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    The tank is no more dangerous than some of the idiots I have seen at the range.
    Bullet1234 and rammerjammer like this.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I wouldn't worry about the o2 tank as much as a richocet, I would find a new range
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Rounds bouncing around is one thing. But oxygen is NOT flammable. Oxygen supports combustion. The classic example is the acetylene torch. Turn the oxygen off and the flame continues to burn. Turn the acetylene off and the flame goes out even though oxygen is still flowing.

Chris

O2 under pressure is EXTREMLY dangerous. No my range does not have ricochets but we do have an abundence of idiots, or large quantities of people at one time which people could bounce into one another ect. I fear preasurized o2 more than a ricochet, a bullet has one angle, an explosion has every angle. Im sure everyone has seen the joke about someone answering the door with a cigarette and an o2 bottle? Not a good idea. I may start going the 20 extra miles to the free outdoor range, raining today.

They don't have PURE oxygen in the tanks, it's oxygen "enriched" air. If he's got pure oxygen in there, I would think the flash off his gun would have more chance of causing something than anything else. Some people have ignited them while smoking, although it's fairly uncommon to occur.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

The main causes of fires and explosions when using oxygen are:
    ❋ oxygen enrichment from leaking equipment;
    ❋ use of materials not compatible with oxygen;
    ❋ use of oxygen in equipment not designed for oxygen service;
    ❋ incorrect or careless operation of oxygen equipment

Smoking should be forbidden where oxygen is being used.
    Oxygen enrichment is often the result of:

leaks from damaged or poorly maintained hoses, pipes and valves;

leaks from poor connections;
    ❋ opening valves deliberately or accidentally;

not closing valves properly after use;

using an excess of oxygen in welding, flame cutting ora similar process;

poor ventilation where oxygen is being used.
    Consequently, the main ways to prevent oxygen enrichment are to keep oxygen equipment in good condition and to take care when using it. Good ventilation will also reduce the risk of oxygen enrichment.
    Oxygen enrichment can also result from the misuse of oxygen.

[B]Where the risk from oxygen enrichment is high, such as in a confined space or a poorly ventilated room, the use of oxygen monitoring equipment is advisable.
    Take

After I read this page about presurized oxygen I guess the main reason to be worried is in a poorly ventilated room (indoor gun range). This oxygen in the tank isnt enriched until it reaches the open air, after that point it becomes dangerous. In normal conditions I wouldnt be worried, in this situation I am. Its just concern I guess. I dont know if his muzzle flash could ignite it. It did look like he had an oxygen system in good system to give him the benfit of the doubt.

VIP Member
    I have seen CO2 tanks rupture and compressed air tanks blow valves. I don't think an oxygen tank would do anything more than other gasses escaping rapidly. A ruptured tank isn't going to go off like a bomb.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I DID see someone rather recently who had significantly burned their face by smoking while on O2
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I have seen CO2 tanks rupture and compressed air tanks blow valves. I don't think an oxygen tank would do anything more than other gasses escaping rapidly. A ruptured tank isn't going to go off like a bomb.
    +1

The biggest fear at a range is that the tank rupture because it is hit with a bullet. But, I doubt a ricochet would still have enough energy to actually puncture the tank. If it did, and it hit you, YOU would be in big trouble. If you have any ricochets to speak of, then find a new range. Yes, O2 is dangerous, when around certain substances or anything burning. This is why smoking around O2 is such a big deal - the cigarette really catches fire, and doesn't just smolder. But, at my outdoor range, there is not much in the vicinity of the shooting benches, except for the wood bench, to catch on fire with a blow torch. No fire, no worry. Combine that with good (natural) ventilation, and you are fine.

Distinguished Member
    Mythbusters tested something similar with a propane tank. A 9mm wouldn't even puncture the tank, only shotgun and rifle rounds would. Then with the tank filled and using tracer rounds there was still no explosion, just a lot of gas escaping.

HowStuffWorks Videos "MythBusters: Exploding Propane Tank"
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    They don't have PURE oxygen in the tanks, it's oxygen "enriched" air. If he's got pure oxygen in there, I would think the flash off his gun would have more chance of causing something than anything else. Some people have ignited them while smoking, although it's fairly uncommon to occur.
    Medical oxygen tanks are pure oxygen.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Does your range have an abundance of ricochets?

A well constructed range shouldn't have ricochets. A ricochet is rather dangerous if it comes right back at you, without an oxygen tank present.
    What he said. The O2 tank in and of itself is no problem and really doesn't pose much of a threat.
    Steve
    An armed society is a polite society

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links