Moles

This is a discussion on Moles within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So its getting warmer and i havce been surveying the yard, and I think I have a huge mole population. My backyard looks like it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Moles

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar

Moles

So its getting warmer and i havce been surveying the yard, and I think I have a huge mole population. My backyard looks like it has scads of large anthills ( we are talking 1 foot in diameter and 3-6 inches high) all over it, and they come up every day. I have a sizeable yard to cover (1-2 acres) and I need to deal with these critters with extreme prejudice. I have dogs that walk and play in the yard, they are not allowed to run free except in supervised fetch with a tennis ball. While over a few beers the discussion has wandered to shotguns, probably not the best idea

Any suggestions? With the dogs the mole traps probably are not agood idea. Anyone use those poisned worms?
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Moth balls dropped into their holes (let me correct that, into their burrows) will eventually chase them away. You must be dilligent though, everytime you see a new hole, treat it.

2nd choice: see Bill Murray in "Caddyshack"
    Last edited by Stubborn; March 7th, 2012 at 05:51 PM.
    Guest1 likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Your "problem" is not with the lowly Mole. They are so tiny, they would not even be noticed

You have a problem with the Meadow Vole, A mouse-like critter that can breed like crazy and they dig those tunnels you see.

Hard to get rid of, but they have a long list of predators that find them extremely edible, cats being one of them.

Good luck dealing with them.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    These have worked well for us. Don't see how it would harm a dog either...our didn't even give it a sniff.

How does a mole trap work? | How to kill moles
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Here in Texas the mounds are made by gophers, the moles burrow shallow tunnels. There are poison pellets you can drop in both and cover up, get it from feed store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

.22lr
    MotorCityGun likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

jack russells or parsons for those who are politically correct love to hunt stuff like that, moles, voles, gophers ect. my dad use to always walk around chewing gum and putting that in in their burrows. seems to work for us.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hogfan83 View Post
    jack russells or parsons for those who are politically correct love to hunt stuff like that, moles, voles, gophers ect. my dad use to always walk around chewing gum and putting that in in their burrows. seems to work for us.
    Sooooo....I give up. It keeps them so busy chewing and blowing bubbles they don't have time to dig anymore?
    l1a1 likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Please do not use edible poison of any type. If the dogs ingest it they could well die, if they ingest a dead vole, mole, gopher they could well die then.

I have successfully used the poison gas bombs, which are very controllable and thus safer for pets.

I have another alternative I'll find the link to and post....................A very fun alternative...........

Here it is.....just looks FUN!

Watch the videos: http://www.rodenator.com/pests-contr...eos-rodenators
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

DL
    Who says you can't build a better mouse trap? That rodenator is awsome!

I think the moles are in your yard because that's where the food source is. Moles eat grubs. Peel back a few square feet of sod, a couple inches deep, and see if you have grubs. If you treat to kill the grubs then the moles will leave. Another pest that likes grubs are armadillos and skunks, and they will root the grass up and make a mess.

My parents have the same problem with gophers. They started using an audible devise that makes what is apparently an unpleasant noise to the animals and encourages them to go elsewhere. It would be a great idea for you since you have dogs...you don't want to accidentally poison them. I'm sure any home and garden place would know what I'm talking about. Something to think about.

I have trapped more moles in my life than I know what to do with. If you use a Mole Trap like the link above, you can get pretty successful and removing them. The key is to dig out the mound, find the actual tunnel and then dig down where the jaws are. You want the bottom of the jaws to be lower than floor of the tunnel and so it can close freely. The trigger of the trap should be about 1 inch above the floor of the tunnel. Then COVER the hole, use a piece of sod, or carpet or something similar. Do not fill the hole in with dirt. When the mole passes through, it will get caught in the trap.

Option 2, shove a garden hose as far into the hole as possible and turn on the water - let it run for a day. This will force them to move - you have a large yard so this option is not advisable as they will just move into another area of your yard. (And my neighbor always wondered why he had so many mole holes, when I had so few.)

Option 3 - Not really recommended, but a lot more fun, but a bit more expensive with the potential of being VERY expensive. I have used a variety of fuels, (gas, kerosine, diesel, etc.) My favorite was diesel. (it burns longer, and more smoke). Flood several holes with the fuel, the more fuel the better, and the more holes the better. Ignite the fuel - but PLEASE make sure you do it safely, and that the fire won't spread. Try to get all the different holes you flooded with fuel ignited. The fire, heat, and smoke will drive the moles to fresh air, or they will become BBQ. If you do it right, you will have some great target practice.

Moles tend to move and dig at night, your best results will be evening or early (very early) morning hours.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Rock and Glock likes this.

Their bodiest cant digest the the gum. Goes for all the little diggers. Constipation will get you sooner or later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links