Humorous: What the Cali Supreme court wastes its time on

This is a discussion on Humorous: What the Cali Supreme court wastes its time on within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In Cali, where there are few things you can do with a gun, legally; the supreme court wants you to know this: Shooting at an ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 6 Post By oakchas
  • 4 Post By atctimmy
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty

Thread: Humorous: What the Cali Supreme court wastes its time on

Humorous: What the Cali Supreme court wastes its time on

In Cali, where there are few things you can do with a gun, legally; the supreme court wants you to know this:

Shooting at an occupied building or vehicle is still illegal... Even if the muzzle of the weapon has crossed the outer plane of said building or vehicle, and you (your body) are still outside. You are shooting at the building or vehicle not in it.

This is an important distinction in California, where its undoubtedly illegal to shoot in an occupied building or vehicle as well. (But I haven't confirmed that with the Cali Supremes)

This valuable information is provided so that you know if a building is trying to rob you (and it is occupied), you cannot shoot at it... except in self defense... But you probably better be able to prove the building was a threat to your life or limb.

And, as I've often said, it is incumbent upon us as CCW holders to be aware of all the laws of the states in which we reside, or plan to visit with our weapons.

Here's the story
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Reminds me of how do you define “is”.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Great, they waste time on appeals that don't matter, as the defendant is serving a life sentence regardless of the ruling; meanwhile SCOTUS can't see fit to hear cases that do matter and ignore the Constitution in their rulings. Wonderful.

Sent the link to my cousin in CA. He hates guns. He probably thinks it was a good use of judicial resources to clarify such an obvious thing. When him and his daughter visited he asked me to make sure I had all the trigger locks on them! I said what are trigger locks? He was serious.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Sent the link to my cousin in CA. He hates guns. He probably thinks it was a good use of judicial resources to clarify such an obvious thing. When him and his daughter visited he asked me to make sure I had all the trigger locks on them! I said what are trigger locks? He was serious.
    Oh, I like wood working... so I'd have built little boxes for the visitor's hands (1 for each hand) with little locks on them. That way they couldn't pick up a gun, manipulate it, or accidentally pull the trigger... That'd show 'em..
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Great, they waste time on appeals that don't matter, as the defendant is serving a life sentence regardless of the ruling; meanwhile SCOTUS can't see fit to hear cases that do matter and ignore the Constitution in their rulings. Wonderful.
    Fortunately, it wasn't SCOT U.S. It was just Californian Supremes doing what they do...
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

What if an unoccupied building tries to rob you?
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    What if an unoccupied building tries to rob you?
    Two to the chest and one to the attic.
    l1a1, JoJoGunn, Badey and 1 others like this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member
    Wonder if the law applies to police as well?

That aside, it seems rather asinine a case given what the crime actually was.

But don't blame the judges. People forget that judges don't go out looking for cases.
    They can never initiate anything on their own.

The only way a case gets before a judge is when two parties have a dispute over facts or a dispute over
    what a law means.

The judges do seem to have clarified the law. You can't shoot into a building or a car
    from outside; and if your back end is outside and your gun is inside, you are still outside.

That seems sort of obvious, but someone other then the judges determined to
    litigate it.

Judges get a great deal of flack for rulings in goofy and difficult cases. Just remember,
    no judge ever went out to find a case. All came to him with both sides begging for the judge
    to make a decision.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Usually a supreme court can refuse to hear arguments, SCOTUS does it all the time.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

The only way a case gets before a judge is when two parties have a dispute over facts or a dispute over
    what a law means.
    Your honor my wife thinks that the brown spot in my drawers is a skid mark of the man made kind,I say it's a direct result of sliding down a wet muddy bank while fishing....What doeth the Court find to be the cause
    Stubborn likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Usually a supreme court can refuse to hear arguments, SCOTUS does it all the time.
    Yes, but refusing to hear arguments is also a decision; against the person who brought the appeal. It isn't a totally
    benign do nothing thing.

SCOTUS gets to choose its cases but only from among the universe of cases actually filed for appeal. They can't involve themselves in some matter unless someone else started the case.

I think they are obligated to hear cases involving disputes between two different states, but that is about it as far as
    initial jurisdiction.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    My head hurts after reading that.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    I was twelve years old when I fired my first shots from a .30-06 at an unoccupied automobile - my first shots from a center fired rifle ever!

Good thing it was in Florida and not California!

Links