How do you drive, now that you carry.

This is a discussion on How do you drive, now that you carry. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I think the one that bothers me the most is someone tailgating me when there is absolutely nowhere to go. I know they couldn't possibly ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you drive, now that you carry.

I think the one that bothers me the most is someone tailgating me when there is absolutely nowhere to go. I know they couldn't possibly stop in an emergency. It's really dumb. I always try to leave a good buffer zone.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Ok, I'll admit it, I speed. Whenever conditions allow, I go what I consider to be an appropriate speed. Most of the time on highways and non-residential roads, that's faster than the posted speed limits. But I consider the traffic stop/ticket/insurance rates the cost of this behavior. I'm polite with the officer, as he's just doing his job and I was wrong per the law.

I try not to tailgate, cut someone off, talk on the cellphone or eat while driving (all pet peeves of mine). I'm getting more patient, but I still sometimes yell very loudly inside the car when someone almost hits me. I think it might be the adrenaline kicking in.

I do 5-10 over like most people. School zones when kids are present and construction zones are my exceptions.

My big pet peeve up here is that when there are four people coming to a 4-way stop at the same time, everyone gets stupid and the next 30 seconds is spent with all four drivers waving each other to go.

Riding a motorcycle makes me more aware, but I still ride the same: anywhere from speed limit to 10 over. I know when and where traffice allows. The less traffic there is, the faster I go. 2am and a 17 mile highway stretch from Hancock to Calumet, I do 10 over.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

When I'm riding, I am more aware of my surroundings as I have no blind spots and can see potential dangers far in advance, so I tend to ride a little more risky. Being on a bike also means I am more nimble and can react quicker to the dangers I come upon.

When I'm driving, however, I realize I have a 2 ton tank, that is slow to evade potential problems, so I drive slower and safer. I compare driving my van like steering a boat: slow to react to turns, depressing the brake earlier than usual, etc. I am also more aware of bike riders, as they are very hard to see, as they project a very poor outline coming at you. (For this reason alone, my bike's headlight has a gadget that flashes the headlight 2000 times a minute, to make car/truck drivers aware of me coming at them. I turn this feature off at night.)

Wes.
    Always remember: 3 can keep a secret, if 2 are dead!

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    I too drive a LOT. I average somewhere around 70k-80k a year.
    I see everything on P8triot's list on a near daily basis. Let me add one or two. I drive a big white 1 ton work truck which is loaded to the gills. People see me coming and think I am slow. So, they break their necks to get out in front of me at the last moment, never thinking about the fact that it takes a while to reign in 6000lbs. I have completely given up on keeping my inventory nice and neat. Everytime I do, it is about 48 hours before I have to slam on my brakes and eveything slams toward the front of the truck, and then somehow magiclly mingles, despite my best efforts.

I am just about the only guy in the company who hasn't creamed some schmuck trying to dart out in front of me at the last instant. Thus far I consider myself blessed, because I know some of these guys were every bit as vigilant as I am, but vigilance will not stop 3 tons when some blissninny paintently watches you approach from a 1/4 mile away and then runs the red light, 50 ft in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by my2cents View Post
    I think the one that bothers me the most is someone tailgating me when there is absolutely nowhere to go. I know they couldn't possibly stop in an emergency. It's really dumb. I always try to leave a good buffer zone.
    In an effort to keep from getting yet another tailgater enema, and frankly, also to amuse myself, I have come up with a tactic that tends to discourage tailgating.

When someone gets right up on my rear bumper, I let off the gas so that the truck loses 5mph over 5-10 seconds. The tailgater will suddenly find themselves getting to close for comfort and stab their brakes. At this point I accelerate just as slowly to gain those 5mph back, wait until they tailgate again, count to 10 and then start the process all over again.

If you do it slowly and smootly, they have plenty of time to react. Most people probably won't even realize that you are doing anything, and they certainly won't suspect you are doing it on purpose. (unlike "brake checking" which I do NOT recommend) Most of the time after a few repetitions they get uncomfortable and back off a bit, or take the opportunity to pass when it arises.

One other thing, I see people do all the time. (hate to admit I have caught myself doing it before) People don't realize it, but when you get behind a large vehicle you cannot see over or around, you lose a lot of visual cues, that help you percieve your true speed, so you feel like you are going much slower than you are. I cannot count the times I have had someone pass me only to have them slow down well below my original speed.

We all agree that carrying a weapon includes quite a bit of responsibility. Driving a car carries no less, specially while carrying. How many of us routinely exceed the speed limit, tailgate (whether intentional or not), and drive in the left hand lane when we are not passing?
    Nothing justifies road rage and lashing out with a two-ton+ weapon at others. Not momentary driving in the left-hand (aka, wrongly, the "fast" lane); not occasional exceeding of the posted speed limit, which is for me the result of the general flow of traffic being well over posted speeds; not going slower than any posted limits (which is also seen as an infraction, nicely); not being cut off or brake checked (to awaken tailgaters). Heck, consistent adherence to all posted laws and guidelines is enough, these days, to set off one of these mobile bombs. That's nobody's responsibility but the offender's: the road rager.

The responsibility I exhibit is the same, decent, responsibility I've done for years. Carrying or not. In the few situations others have displayed severe aggression, I have been lucky enough to be able to disengage and pull over, drive the other way, whatever. That part's new.

Nice tips and reminders, otherwise.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    Ok, I'll admit it, I speed. Whenever conditions allow, I go what I consider to be an appropriate speed. Most of the time on highways and non-residential roads, that's faster than the posted speed limits. But I consider the traffic stop/ticket/insurance rates the cost of this behavior. I'm polite with the officer, as he's just doing his job and I was wrong per the law.
    Not picking on you but I used to shoot X-Rays in a hospital for a few years and we treated alot of torn up people who said just the same thing!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

You might also be amazed at the reduced stress of following the speed limit.

If you stay to the right or middle lane and at the speed limit, most peopel just blow right on by. They can see far ahead thatyou're going slower than they want to and are only too happy to get by you. I don't jockey for position, I don't have to be scanning as hard ( I still scan but it's just not as intenst), all this and I spend less on gas and get there happier about 3 minutes later.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodSamaritan View Post
    One other thing, I see people do all the time. (hate to admit I have caught myself doing it before) People don't realize it, but when you get behind a large vehicle you cannot see over or around, you lose a lot of visual cues, that help you percieve your true speed, so you feel like you are going much slower than you are. I cannot count the times I have had someone pass me only to have them slow down well below my original speed.
    I'm not so sure its the loss of perception of speed. What bothers me most about that situation is not being able to get any warning of what is happening in the road ahead. I don't like staring at the back of an 18 wheeler with my only clues as to what night be happening ahead being his brake lights, even with proper spacing.

Also these days I tend to see more discourteous (professional) truck drivers that are tailgating and staying in the left lane (especially going up hills).
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

The same that I've always driven:

5 miles per hour over the posted limit unless it's in a residential area (with kids and animals) then it is below the posted limit.

Never have done visial road rage. Sure, I've shouted within the confines of my car "move it" , "WTH(eck)", etc.. but no fingers, no cutting people off, no tailgating, etc..

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by plblark View Post
    You might also be amazed at the reduced stress of following the speed limit.

If you stay to the right or middle lane and at the speed limit, most peopel just blow right on by. They can see far ahead thatyou're going slower than they want to and are only too happy to get by you. I don't jockey for position, I don't have to be scanning as hard ( I still scan but it's just not as intenst), all this and I spend less on gas and get there happier about 3 minutes later.
    I am clearly more relaxed in our morning production meetings than my co-workers that blow right by me on the way in. Plus my car (which is supposed to only get 32 HWY) is surprising me by averaging almost 36 MPG HWY and 31 on the street
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    Not picking on you but I used to shoot X-Rays in a hospital for a few years and we treated alot of torn up people who said just the same thing!
    Oh, I'm well aware of increased damage I will sustain in an accident at higher speeds. One of the benefits of all the physics and materials classes I took as an engineering student. But I also know that statistically your chance of an accident with another vehicle is directly related to the number of miles travelled and the time spent on the road. I don't have much control over how many miles I have to travel, but the time I spend on the road is inversely proportional to the speed I travel. Nice rationalization huh?

Oddly enough, of the two accidents in which I ever injured, I was a passenger in each case. One was hydroplaning under 35 mph and the other happened while the car I was in was at a complete stop at a stop sign.

I ride a 50cc "scooter". Wich barely keeps up with the speed limit. In this town most drivers leave their brain at home, when they turn the ignition. Pluse three lanes of thick traffic. Youre darn right, if you guessed I always ride condition OJ/Red.

I drove very Defencivly even when I had my GMC "Jimmy".

Never have done visial road rage. Sure, I've shouted within the confines of my car "move it" , "WTH(eck)", etc.. but no fingers, no cutting people off, no tailgating, etc..
    I do that too. Its called "scream therapy"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links