What's wrong with Detroit? (Moved to "Off Topic") - Page 2

What's wrong with Detroit? (Moved to "Off Topic")

This is a discussion on What's wrong with Detroit? (Moved to "Off Topic") within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Kimberpackn I'm trying to be on my best behavior answering this. Perhaps it's urban sprawl? Too much hope and not enough change? ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: What's wrong with Detroit? (Moved to "Off Topic")

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberpackn View Post
    I'm trying to be on my best behavior answering this. Perhaps it's urban sprawl? Too much hope and not enough change? Terminal diversity? Take your pick.
    What is "Terminal Diversity?" I have never heard that term before. Could you explain it for me.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
    Detroit is one of the top cities in the country for a decline in population. After the intellectuals finish high school, they go on to greener pastures, never to return. Is what happens is you are left with a bunch of thugs. Finding a job is tough, so they are left to making money through crime. The same thing happens in other cities with large minority populations. Look at Birmingham, Atlanta, and Miami. These places all have high crime rates and a high number of minorities. Many of them do not vote, but the ones that do obviously vote for the wrong people.
    What do minorities have to do with this? And your post kind of suggests as if there are no minorities posting on this board by making it seem as if they are some outside group from the people here. But either way, what do minorities voting and how they vote have to do with violence?

VIP Member
    Detroit has always been a cesspool, however it has gotten worse over the years. I'd actually feel safer in Gary Indiana than in Detroit, and that isn't saying much.

Of course the Detroit Councilman has the answer to the problem, more government intervention. *shakes head*

[QUOTE][Detroit Councilman Kwame Kenyatta is drafting an ordinance that would require gas station owners to hire security guards to protect the public./QUOTE]

In an economy where businesses are cutting back where ever they can to stay afloat, saddle them with the cost of security guards, that's really going to help.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    What's wrong with Detroit?

1. Too much government redistribution of wealth.
    2. Too much government regulation and intrusion.
    3. Too much of a sense of entitlement.
    4. Too much tolerance of crime.
    5. Too much union control of industry for too many years.
    6. Too many stupid voters.

This is only one opinion.

^^^DING, DING, DING^^^^^^^^

WE have a winner!!!!!!!!!!!

I only take exception to #5.
    I'll explain below. No, I don't belong to a union.

1. Too much government redistribution of wealth.
    Coleman Young,{yes this is when it started} realized, in order for HIM to suceed(take all he could), he needed to make sure the masses got a lil' sumth'in as well.2. Too much government regulation and intrusion.
    Taxes on workers, who do not live in the city, AND ALSO don't even get to vote there.(Can you say taxation without representation)
    3. Too much of a sense of entitlement.
    {please do not misconscrue this as racist} The prevailing attitude of the vast majority of Detroiters was/is gimme what I have coming to me.
    4. Too much tolerance of crime.
    Detroit used to be a safe place{relatively speaking}. When the powers that be,(local and federal Justice Dept.s) hamstrung the police and prosecutors, (revolving door syndrome} and IMHO the Malice Green Incident, here's the Autopsy results, The Autopsy Reports. And a report of what happened here, Malice Green - News - Business News here ,, Autopsy In Detroit Case Criticized - Chicago Tribune here,,, Counterpoint on the Nevers and Budzyn Case
    The Policemen and women these days are careful what they do, lest they become a Nevers and Budzyn, sometimes weiging a crime before deciding what to do.

5. Too much union control of industry for too many years.
    If the city and union workplaces,(big three in general) were not willing to pay the high wages and benefits, they didn't have to.
    6. Too many stupid voters.
    Self explainatory,, but heres the gist of it, according to Ben (Franklin),,,
    When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by W9HDG View Post
    I wouldn't want to be in Detroit right now, it seems to me that the good people of Detroit need to leave now while they still can.
    Your advice has been heeded since the '60's. The '67 riots pretty much finished what the '43 riots began.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

What's wrong with Detroit?

The demise started in the 1960's when God was removed from the public schools and the unions began their "take over" of most industries. It's not just Detroit either, look all around you. Don't believe me? Do your own research and take an objective 10,000 foot view of the facts. It is so very obvious that it amazes me that so few see it, or maybe they don't care.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dV8r View Post
    The demise started in the 1960's when God was removed from the public schools and the unions began their "take over" of most industries. It's not just Detroit either, look all around you. Don't believe me? Do your own research and take an objective 10,000 foot view of the facts. It is so very obvious that it amazes me that so few see it, or maybe they don't care.
    God can be removed?
    suntzu likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Mike1956 knows what is meant. It is that type of apathy that has allowed this demise to perpetuate.

"If I'm not part of the solution, I'm part of the problem" :)
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    What do minorities have to do with this? And your post kind of suggests as if there are no minorities posting on this board by making it seem as if they are some outside group from the people here. But either way, what do minorities voting and how they vote have to do with violence?
    It has nothing to do with race really. It has to do with cultural paradigms. Some people get it confused because it's easier to blame it on the color of a persons skin than on the mentality of a group of people.

Today many urban community members feel that they are owed something from society that they did not earn. These feelings have been passed down from earlier generations and have grown in strength with each generation.

It doesn't really matter anymore that there are lots of successful minorities in America (like the President for example) or that there are lots of poor white folks. The lines have already been drawn and it's a problem that won't be going away any time soon.
    Last edited by atctimmy; March 11th, 2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: typo
    wmhawth, oneshot, l1a1 and 1 others like this.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

VIP Member
    Mike1956 knows what is meant. It is that type of apathy that has allowed this demise to perpetuate.

"If I'm not part of the solution, I'm part of the problem" :)
    To folks who would inject their brand of God into societal institutions, yes, I am indeed part of the problem. Never confuse diametrical opposition to your point of view with apathy.
    William T. Sherman

Motorcitygun the article you posted is indeed sobering. It is an outrage that this is not a national outrage.

It would be interesting to take this in the direction of solutions but that would probably stray from this forums rules of topics.

I wonder if we will ever get to the time where we put up walls and call in Snake Pliskin.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducmonster View Post
    Motorcitygun the article you posted is indeed sobering. It is an outrage that this is not a national outrage.

It would be interesting to take this in the direction of solutions but that would probably stray from this forums rules of topics.

I wonder if we will ever get to the time where we put up walls and call in Snake Pliskin.
    Many, if not most cities, cultures, and empires throughout history have begun, risen, peaked, declined, and oftentimes vanished. Nature happens, inevitably.
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    God can be removed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    To folks who would inject their brand of God into societal institutions, yes, I am indeed part of the problem. Never confuse diametrical opposition to your point of view with apathy.
    Oh boy I would love to jump in but I think the thread would be getting closed

But replying to the OP and the origanal post. The problem is folks with no common sense, from the unemployed, to the blue collar worker, to the the rich, and the polticians. Nobody stops and thinks about what their actions can do and how others percieve them. How about folks just simply start minding their own business, raise there kids well (religion or no religion, vegetarian or meat eater, gun lover orBrady Bunch, Green Peace dude/dudette or stockholder in Exxon, Dem or Rep, Lib. Cons). And crime happens in every neighborhood, no matter what race. It happens to be more of a poverty issue.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    City leaders of the past who placed all their bets on the automotive manufacturing industry, luring many job seekers from around the country. Once the big three started uprooting, they left all those down on their luck folks to their own devices while the politicians moved on.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I live about a 3 hour drive from Detroit. In May 2009 I had a Bone Marrow Transplant at the Detroit Medical Center which is right in "inner Detroit". My family and I lived at the on campus housing for 3 months while I got well enough to live home. If you add White flight, local corruption, and all of the other problems that cities have you will come up to the same result as Detroit. All of the hospital's staff commutes from their homes in the suburbs, work in the inner city, and then drive home. One thing that amazed me was that the nearest Walmart, Sams Club, or Meijer was at least 20 miles away. The only places to buy food in the inner city of Detroit was at the local beer and wine store. Sad.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links