What's wrong with Detroit? (Moved to "Off Topic")

This is a discussion on What's wrong with Detroit? (Moved to "Off Topic") within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Since this topic is not the focus of this website, I've moved it here to "Off Topic". Keep it civil people and think before you ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: What's wrong with Detroit? (Moved to "Off Topic")

Senior Moderator
    Since this topic is not the focus of this website, I've moved it here to "Off Topic".

Keep it civil people and think before you write.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

As horrific as the murder rate in Detroit is--for 2010 the official number is 34.5 murders per 100,000--Baltimore has 34.8, St. Louis 40.5 and 'The Big Easy"--New Orleans--by differing acccounts, but consistently listed as having one of the top five highest murder rates on planet EARTH, comes in with 49.1 murders per 100,000 people--more than most basically governmentless Middle Eastern, African cities and the narcotic cartel controlled cities in Mexico, South and Central America.

Of course, in Detroit--as with most of these cities, there are neighborhoods--general areas, where the murder rate is actually much, much higher. Believe me, I lived in Detroit and have family there and there are some real 'no man's zones' and sometimes they are just a few miles from gated communities with private security and huge mansions. They aslo have fairly new, rather luxe pro baseball and football stadiums right downtown and attendance is good. Detroit's a real paradox, but no doubt there are parts that look like some weird scene out of a metro USA based "Apocalypse Now" movie set, with whole neighborhoods abandoned and overgrown, waiting to be razed.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    -
    City leaders of the past who placed all their bets on the automotive manufacturing industry, luring many job seekers from around the country. Once the big three started uprooting, they left all those down on their luck folks to their own devices while the politicians moved on.
    The formula for disaster arguably began in the early 1940's, when Detroit became America's Arsenal For Democracy, attracting literally hundreds of thousands of workers to fill defense industry jobs. The boom created by such numbers, and its subsequent collapse at war's end, left what we see today.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    To folks who would inject their brand of God into societal institutions, yes, I am indeed part of the problem. Never confuse diametrical opposition to your point of view with apathy.
    I speek only for myself as i do not know you and am sure that you do also. :)It has been my observation that when someone does not like the message they tend to beat up the messenger. Politicians and the media are masters of this as it is the quick way of averting attention from the truth and generating headlines that appeal to the masses.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

What's wrong with Detroit?

1. Too much government redistribution of wealth.
    2. Too much government regulation and intrusion.
    3. Too much of a sense of entitlement.
    4. Too much tolerance of crime.
    5. Too much union control of industry for too many years.
    6. Too many stupid voters.
    1974 to 1993.......Coleman Young, Coleman Young, and Coleman Young. He was the instigator, the impetus, the corrupt, and Supreme Leader of the City that Fell to Ruin. He threw gasoline on everything bad, and was expert at using the actions above to strengthen his fiefdom. That may be a simple answer, but you can trace most ills back to his rule. If he did not create the tragedy, his actions exacerbated it.

This pretty much sums up what ails Detroit

DETROIT By Frosty Wooldridge | ATLAH Media Network
    Succinct.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dV8r View Post
    I speek only for myself as i do not know you and am sure that you do also. :)It has been my observation that when someone does not like the message they tend to beat up the messenger. Politicians and the media are masters of this as it is the quick way of averting attention from the truth and generating headlines that appeal to the masses.
    Similarly, please do not confuse my disagreement with your message as an attack on, or a dislike of you personally. It has been my observation that those who speak from an evangelical bent tend to confuse their personal belief system with some greater revealed truth.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    What is "Terminal Diversity?" I have never heard that term before. Could you explain it for me.

Thanks.
    Terminal diversity is a phrase that I coined to give name to the effort of the libs to dillute the American traditional way of life (non-assimulation by various ethnic groups etc). As with terminal velocity, if a parachute isn't deployed soon, death is a certainty.
    HotGuns and Rock and Glock like this.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Senior Moderator
    This isnt about what you beleive or dont beleive, this is about Detroit.

Keep it on topic.
    suntzu likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    This isnt about what you beleive or dont beleive, this is about Detroit.

Keep it on topic.
    I thought it to be a discussion thread. In the discussion of what is wrong with Detroit ones beliefs (ie, opinions) as an answer to the original question will be subjective based upon the individuals knowledge and experience. If you are looking for mere facts then perhaps simply a recitation of facts from the bureau of statistics would have sufficed. But, even that could be subjective depending on the facts chosen.
    Last edited by Kimberpackn; March 11th, 2012 at 02:32 PM.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Senior Moderator
    I thought it to be a discussion thread. In the discussion of what is wrong with Detroit ones beliefs (ie, opinions) as an answer to the original question will be subjective ased upon the individuals knowledge and experience. If you are looking for mere facts then perhaps simply a recitation of facts from the bureau of statistics would have sufficed. But, even that could be subjective depending on the facts chosen.
    Opinions is based on many things...faith or lack of it being one of them. Since this isn't a religious discussion, further comments about beliefs or disbeliefs would detract from the subject and eventually degrade into a fruitless discussion in which feelings would get hurt and people would get ticked off and no good would come from it. Look at it as a preemptive strike.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

I'm just wondering whats that city going to be like in 20-25 years?? You have to wonder if these people reproduce and the numbers increase it's no longer a city problem.. Maybe we should put a fence up now and hang a sign telling the future generations of the social experiment which failed miserably.

What's wrong with Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    This isnt about what you beleive or dont beleive, this is about Detroit.Keep it on topic.
    Back on topic, what's wrong with Detroit and other cities is that too many people no longer believe the "truth" of what is wrong with Detriot. :)
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

VIP Member
    Back on topic, what's wrong with Detroit and other cities is that too many people no longer believe the "truth" of what is wrong with Detriot. :)
    Not sure I follow. Since the religious aspects have already been addressed by a moderator, you must be referring to something else.

Who brought up religion, not I.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Not sure I follow. Since the religious aspects have already been addressed by a moderator, you must be referring to something else.
    It is impossible to have a thorough discussion where the 1st. A is disallowed. So tell us why "is" Detroit the way it is? I'll be leaving this thread to those who can live outside of the truth. Sorry to leave you hanging....Do your own research. You'll figure it out, hope it's not too late. :)
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

VIP Member
    It is impossible to have a thorough discussion where the 1st. A is disallowed. So tell us why "is" Detroit the way it is? I'll be leaving this thread to those who can live outside of the truth. Sorry to leave you hanging....Do your own research. You'll figure it out, hope it's not too late. :)
    Yes, it is. I have reached my own conclusions already, so nothing really to ponder.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links