What's wrong with Detroit? (Moved to "Off Topic")

This is a discussion on What's wrong with Detroit? (Moved to "Off Topic") within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; STOP IT, you two. NOW. Before HotGuns gets PO'd and closes the thread. You're both being boorish for your own reasons. We all know where ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: What's wrong with Detroit? (Moved to "Off Topic")

STOP IT, you two. NOW. Before HotGuns gets PO'd and closes the thread. You're both being boorish for your own reasons. We all know where you are coming from.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    STOP IT, you two. NOW. Before HotGuns gets PO'd and closes the thread. You're both being boorish for your own reasons. We all know where you are coming from.
    OK, OK, I quit.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

It started before the Coleman era came into effect, even before the riot or 67 but the biggest effect was seen just after the 67 racial disturbance. Letting people off with lighter than should be sentencing and a lax police department backed by crooked administrations were the biggest cause.

The expanding effect to this was termed, “urban flight” people, mostly white moving out of the city, corporations leaving the area because their employees were being attacked in the parking lot, cars stolen, raped and so on. The simple fact, no one wanted to go to work, so the companies moved, some just outside the city others completely out of the country.

Many of the photos are of the absolute worst areas and we do have more than enough to go around. But there are some nice places here, I don’t frequent them, most won’t let you defend yourself, so I just don’t attend.

Bottom line it has been the liberal policies over years that have brought this place to its knees. On a good note, most of the killings are from one bad guy to another, we do have are innocents mixed in, but for the most part if one were standing at a distance it is just the trash taking out the trash.

Over the years I have lost several friends to street violence, mostly because the ones doing the crime figured that they would get away with it. And in the past it has been so, all too often been the case.

Of course this is just my opinion

Young also perfected the "patronage game," and Detroit became the employer of choice, swelling city payrolls with no corresponding increase in output. Ghost employees filling ghost jobs and the like.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    It started before the Coleman era came into effect, even before the riot or 67 but the biggest effect was seen just after the 67 racial disturbance. Letting people off with lighter than should be sentencing and a lax police department backed by crooked administrations were the biggest cause.

The expanding effect to this was termed, “urban flight” people, mostly white moving out of the city, corporations leaving the area because their employees were being attacked in the parking lot, cars stolen, raped and so on. The simple fact, no one wanted to go to work, so the companies moved, some just outside the city others completely out of the country.

Many of the photos are of the absolute worst areas and we do have more than enough to go around. But there are some nice places here, I don’t frequent them, most won’t let you defend yourself, so I just don’t attend.

Bottom line it has been the liberal policies over years that have brought this place to its knees. On a good note, most of the killings are from one bad guy to another, we do have are innocents mixed in, but for the most part if one were standing at a distance it is just the trash taking out the trash.

Over the years I have lost several friends to street violence, mostly because the ones doing the crime figured that they would get away with it. And in the past it has been so, all too often been the case.

Of course this is just my opinion
    The Detroit Police Department was a direct result of the riots of 1863. In 1943, another very bad one occurred. In '67, yet another. Burned out businesses are very counterproductive in attracting prosperity.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

Distinguished Member
    White flight is a response to a problem that is allowed by the government to continued.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Your pretty much right on.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    What's wrong with Detroit?

1. Too much government redistribution of wealth.
    2. Too much government regulation and intrusion.
    3. Too much of a sense of entitlement.
    4. Too much tolerance of crime.
    5. Too much union control of industry for too many years.
    6. Too many stupid voters.

This is only one opinion.
    1. I assume you mean welfare? I agree that perhaps the money would have been better spent creating jobs rather than creating the entittlement attitude that many in Detroit now have.

2. Not sure what you mean by this.

3. Totally agree with you on this one!

4. Yep!

5. Right again!

6. For proof of this google Kwame Kilpatrick former mayor of Detroit that stole millions, and probably could have gotten re-elected again by the idiots in Detroit that elected him the first time.

Distinguished Member
    Brothers and sisters will vote blindly for brothers and sisters. Where my check?..
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

You move away and people ask: “So where are you from … originally? You have a peculiar accent; EH?”

You reply: “Detroit!! … a nice place to be from, as in … I don’t live there anymore, so I’m from Detroit?”

Detroit being a factory town, it has always had the reputation as being a rough and tough place to work and live, because it produces pollution: cars, trucks, their steel foundries, Zug Island, and the workers have a tough mundane working life.

I remember riding up and down the Detroit River on the Bob-Lo Boat as a kid, and on one side of the river was a pristine Canadian shore line and on the other … Detroit; and nothing but factories spouting yuckiness.

You get up in the morning go to the factory and come home looking for release from a job maybe in a tough foundry or maybe you work the line for 9-hours a day putting in door handles on a vehicle and your personality sometimes can’t help but become fried. We called them “Factory-Rats” Keep calm and have a beer … I’ve seen it happen.

When you live in a place that manufactures a product and that product isn’t in demand as much anymore and most of the general populist starts becoming unemployed and your civic leaders become corrupt and you have a large ethnic diversity whom have issues getting along and in order to subsidize that loss of income you take to the streets then add on that there isn’t enough money for the local government to afford proper LEO’s for simple routine protection for a populist seemingly running amok the school system can’t support simple tasks such as student-bussing so you have to get your kids to and from school everyday on your own and supply after-school supervision and you have three of them all in different schools people start losing respect for their fellow humans and you find yourself in a sink or swim situation in a seemingly leaky inflatable life raft without any life preservers is it any wonder that Detroit is crumbling? Again …

It was just a few years ago that Detroit was tearing down 40yr old skeletons of buildings from the 1967 riots to sell as scrap to China just to try and pay their civil servants. But now they can't hardly even afford the labor for that.

And people wonder what is wrong with Detroit?

It always has and always will be at the fore front of things going or gone bad because of the problems associated with major factories headquartered there mostly known as the automobile industry which again finds it self struggling to make ends meet.

First it was American Motors closing down a while ago, Chrysler/Plymouth has had its problems off and on over the years, now General Motors is faltering too, but Ford/Lincoln/Mercury seems to still be holding on with what little bit on their own.

But don’t you worry, cuz, this Great Lakes Dweller will still be here to take care of our flag Detroit … even if the Woodward Avenue’s Vernors bottling plant has move out, Hudson’s is now gone, and when even everyone else has left, I’m sure Lafayette Coney Island will remain here too so I'll have a place to eat ... and hell I can even still get a bumpy cake!!! YUMMY …
    Rock and Glock likes this.

zamboni: You'll be getting a new Whole Foods Market too from what I've heard. It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out.........

Whole Foods' Detroit Gamble - WSJ.com

BTW, welcome!
    Richard

NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    This kind of stuff happens all the time. It isn't just a Detroit thing.

Toorop

OK ask yourself this ... "Self ... ???"

And just to name a few ...

How many other city's are demolishing 40yr old skeletal inter-city abandoned buildings to sell for scrap to other countries to help finance their own local governmental services for their citizens?

How many other city's have cut out busing all aged school children to school and from school because they can not afford it?

How many other city's close their police department precincts doors and do not offer police protection from said police stations and refuge for their citizens between the hours of 4pm and 8am because they can not afford to keep them open?

How many other city's have government corruption? Well OK ... I'll give you that one

As a lifelong resident (50+ years) both inside and outside of the surrounding City of Detroit it is my opinion that some of the previous posts are “spot on”. As the Detroit metro area struggles to improve its financial condition I awoke to the following statement from activist minister Malik Shabazz:

"We understand we have financial difficulties," Shabazz said. "Give us the help we want, need and deserve, not the help you want to impose on us. We don't want an emergency manager or a consent decree. This is white supremacy and we will fight you.
    "Before we let you take over our city we will burn it down first
    ," Shabazz said.

Review team: Detroit in crisis, consent deal close | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

This kind of rhetoric does not facilitate solving the City’s problems. It is hard to partner with an inherently distrustful community whose leaders spout racism and threats.
    Last edited by Caertaker; March 27th, 2012 at 11:11 AM.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Caretaker (sp?), welcome to DC from another native (50+ yr) Detroiter.

I saw Shabazz's well publicized and aired statement on the local news. Why they (local media) put a mic and camera in front of this dirt bag is beyond me. He's a hate-filled, radical, racist thug. He and Kwame K. are long time "associates" if that tells you anything.

And I couldn't help but notice how inappropriately and highly charged the "good" citizens of Detroit injected race into the financial review team meeting. However, no surprise there. The irony of all of this is, the state (Snyder, et al) has a legal (not to mention moral) obligation to help fix ANY city in MI that is in similar financial straits as Detroit is in. Whether Detroit is "owed" money from the state or not, throwing mo' money at a chronic problem/broken system/dysfunctional culture that is not accountable on how they spend it, is not a solution.

Unfortunately, the success of Detroit is still an integral factor in the overall success of (southeast) MI. But what did Einstein say about the definition of insanity? Unless and until those changes that are noted in previous posts on this thread are made, Detroit will remain the "cluster" it has been since the 80's.

Rant...off.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links