What's wrong with Detroit? (Moved to "Off Topic")

This is a discussion on What's wrong with Detroit? (Moved to "Off Topic") within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I read this article with the heading man shot over price of condoms. Man Shot At Detroit Gas Station, Reportedly Over Price Of Condoms « ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: What's wrong with Detroit? (Moved to "Off Topic")

What's wrong with Detroit? (Moved to "Off Topic")

I read this article with the heading man shot over price of condoms. Man Shot At Detroit Gas Station, Reportedly Over Price Of Condoms « CBS Detroit
    I am wondering what questions come to peoples minds when they read this. The incident itself raises questions as to why would they call it a warning shot when he shot the guy
    he was supposedly warning. Warning shot fail. Had the clerk been through previous incidents that caused a mindset where he overreacted. Why did the customer go into a rage over
    the price to the point of tearing up the store. Maybe he was protesting the fact that the Republicans do not want to pay for him to have safe sex.

That the City council is considering requiring convenience stores to hire security guards to keep the public safe makes me wonder just how bad it is in Detroit. The comments
    of a bad relationship between the owners and the customers leading to these types of incidents baffles me. I can't help but think the problems stem from a large group
    of thug customers and a populace that has no concern for their fellow man. What do you guys think?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    I'm trying to be on my best behavior answering this. Perhaps it's urban sprawl? Too much hope and not enough change? Terminal diversity? Take your pick.
    W9HDG likes this.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

I wouldn't want to be in Detroit right now, it seems to me that the good people of Detroit need to leave now while they still can.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by W9HDG View Post
    I wouldn't want to be in Detroit right now, it seems to me that the good people of Detroit need to leave now while they still can.
    That isn't much of a plan, either.
    Marion raid yields nearly $10K in drugs, weapon | The Marion Star | marionstar.com
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    It's been a long time since I've had to buy condoms, so I can't comment on the prices.
    multistage and atctimmy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    It's been a long time since I've had to buy condoms, so I can't comment on the prices.
    While hard on the gun inventory, marriage does have its' benefits.

I have never been to Detroit. I mean no disrespect to those that live there, but I have no intention to ever go. It has a well-earned reputation of being a pretty rough town. Even before the economic wheels came off.

What's wrong with Detroit?

1. Too much government redistribution of wealth.
    2. Too much government regulation and intrusion.
    3. Too much of a sense of entitlement.
    4. Too much tolerance of crime.
    5. Too much union control of industry for too many years.
    6. Too many stupid voters.

This is only one opinion.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Just another reason for Obamacare! Free Condoms Yes!!!!!

VIP Member
    After the underwear bomber was arrested in Detroit, the terrorists looked at Detroit on Google Earth and thought he had succeeded.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    After the underwear bomber was arrested in Detroit, the terrorists looked at Detroit on Google Earth and thought he had succeeded.
    OK, now that's pretty good. Still laughing.

Noting, it’s just another day in the hood, this happens because people let it happen and the politicians have created the environment to make it happen, and now they have a new answer to it.

If you are going to make money off our citizens not only are we going to tax you extra, we will make you hire extra people to police the place of business for customer safety, something that the city isn’t responsible for.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    whats wrong is not any much different than most all the other liberal controlled minority oriented justice deficient politically corrupt cities with broken parental homes....teachers that cant read....aww heck, why go on-- thems that could fix it are not going to put themselves out of soft money and easy jobs just to make the tax paying muddle class feel somewhat safer.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Detroit is one of the top cities in the country for a decline in population. After the intellectuals finish high school, they go on to greener pastures, never to return. Is what happens is you are left with a bunch of thugs. Finding a job is tough, so they are left to making money through crime. The same thing happens in other cities with large minority populations. Look at Birmingham, Atlanta, and Miami. These places all have high crime rates and a high number of minorities. Many of them do not vote, but the ones that do obviously vote for the wrong people.
    TheShadow and thephanatik like this.

Sounds like Greensboro, Raleigh, Winston-Salem, Wilmington, Charlotte all cities in North Carolina that are having the same problems. What a mess, I stay away as much as possible...
    That's all I'm going to say....
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    This pretty much sums up what ails Detroit

DETROIT By Frosty Wooldridge | ATLAH Media Network
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links