At what point is it too much?

This is a discussion on At what point is it too much? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am a social worker with a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping people empower themselves through work. To put it simply: I help people with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: At what point is it too much?

At what point is it too much?

I am a social worker with a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping people empower themselves through work. To put it simply: I help people with severe barriers (disabilities, criminal background, mental health issues, etc.) find jobs. I could have taken more lucrative paths in school, but I chose this one to help people. I love my job, but I am leaving in the fall to follow my law school dream.

Today I was informed that we were going to start offering services in the most violent housing project in the city. I have happily conducted workshops at other public housing areas, and even prisons. Something about working in the worst area in the city really bothers me. I honestly don't feel safe in that area.

Another issue that I have is that I cannot carry a firearm because it is against company policy, and I don't have a CC permit because I am waiting to see what state I will be in by fall.

Usually clients see me in our office, but occasionally we venture out to spread the word to other organizations as it were.

What would your response be in my situation? I don't want to piss off my employer, and at this point I only have a few months left to build up my savings.

Mods: I wasn't sure where this should go.

2. Remove Ads

If it's not illegal, do you want to be dead or unemployed...I guess either way, you'd be unemployed...not a tough decision for me (if I were in your situation).
    mr.stuart likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Since you don't have a permit it's all kind of a moot point isn't it?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    NC is a permitless Open Carry state. If your are legal to own it you can carry it. You can also keep one in plain sight inside the vehicle. A cheap nylon holster clipped to the passenger seat works well. Might not help much on the job, but having it there and back might help.

But a gun is not the only option. Pepper spray, knives, flashlights, all steel pens; lots of things can be a weapon in a pinch. Until you get a permit, less lethal is your only option for concealed.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

You have a few options:
    1. Get a permit and take a look at the company policy.. is the no weapons policy only for the building or also for the times you are on duty outside of the building?
    2. Let your manager know that you do not feel safe going to those areas, last I check safety is a good excuse for not completing a project. Ask if you can be reassigned, after all you are leaving in a couple of months so the impact of this is irrelevant.
    3. Carry a nice big javelin or surefire flashlight when you go to that area.

In your situation and the fact that you want to go into law, I would strongly suggest not to do anything illegal, it will destroy your future.
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by 1911_Kimber View Post
    You have a few options:
    1. Get a permit and take a look at the company policy.. is the no weapons policy only for the building or also for the times you are on duty outside of the building?
    2. Let your manager know that you do not feel safe going to those areas, last I check safety is a good excuse for not completing a project. Ask if you can be reassigned, after all you are leaving in a couple of months so the impact of this is irrelevant.
    3. Carry a nice big javelin or surefire flashlight when you go to that area.

In your situation and the fact that you want to go into law, I would strongly suggest not to do anything illegal, it will destroy your future.

I second that. A flashlight can be a decent weapon that you can literally take just about anywhere without a second look and have a functional purpose. I just watched a video by James Yeager on the topic. He made a very good point about not carrying flashlights with the "strike" bezels. The bezels aren't big enough to do anything more than make someone bleed, which when dealing with your typical scumbags is a great way to transmit diseases. And they tear up your clothing. My cousin bought a Surefire with them and hes wearing a nice hole in his pants where it sits. A regular flashlight will do nearly as much without as much risk.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Thanks for the suggestions. I do know our no weapons policy expressly allows pepper spray. I will definitely be carrying that if we end up conducting these workshops. I'm going to put in a vote against this project though. I'd much rather them come to me than be on their home turf.
    jerp likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    NC is a permitless Open Carry state. If your are legal to own it you can carry it. You can also keep one in plain sight inside the vehicle. A cheap nylon holster clipped to the passenger seat works well. Might not help much on the job, but having it there and back might help.

But a gun is not the only option. Pepper spray, knives, flashlights, all steel pens; lots of things can be a weapon in a pinch. Until you get a permit, less lethal is your only option for concealed.
    My point was that if you can't conceal it's a no go and there really isn't any further point in the discussion. OCing to a job with a no weapons policy would get you fired in the first ten seconds.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Yep...

I would also consider a taser.

and if it's an issue with company policy, I've always been more than happy to violate policy where my safety is concerned. Getting fired ain't so bad if you're still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by jlately View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I do know our no weapons policy expressly allows pepper spray. I will definitely be carrying that if we end up conducting these workshops. I'm going to put in a vote against this project though. I'd much rather them come to me than be on their home turf.
    Sounds like a great plan... And you won't have any issues when you take your ethics class in law school :)
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

I once had a job where the location was in an urban area surrounded by drug dealers at night. I used to work the graveyard shift and parked in a detached multi-level garage with unrestricted access at the time. Really spooky going into work at 23:00. I had a CCW but of course the place I worked prohibited weapons. I chose my personal safety and carried my weapon in a jacket pocket (was a PPK/S at the time) into work. Then I'd secure my jacket with the gun in my locked desk drawer. So the gun was never exposed. Was only one other employee in my work area on that shift who was my subordinate.

I chose to be able to protect myself from harm but also knowing that if anything happened anywhere on employer property that I would be terminated from my job. I felt the risk of harm was greater than the risk of getting fired. I am not making any recommendations for you (after you get a CCW) but you just have to think long and hard about which set of potential consequences that you are willing to risk and accept. Even to the level of whether the job is the right choice or not.

After I left for another job, I heard from a friend that an employee did get terminated for having a .45. Heard he was a nice guy and a gun enthusiast. Happened to have forgot and left his backpack unattended. No one knew whose it was and after looking, the gun was discovered.

For the time being, you might see if you can carry a flashlight like the 200 lumen Surefire E2D Defender with striking ends and look at some nuts & bolts self defense courses offered in your area (i.e. Gracie).

VIP Member
    OC Spray,,,,,,,,Flashlight/bezel,,,,,,,cane.

Good luck in your educational endeavors.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Your safety is more important than three months of helping someone that would slit your throat for no reason - decline the assignment. or...You might consider carrying a pair of old work boots with you. Those people are scared to death of anything related to work.

Oh, Costco has some inexpensive tactical LED flashlights with strike bezels that are applicable. Cost a lot less than Surefires.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links